Load DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyRepackboxTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Wideners

Thread: .45 cal. Lee REAL question

.45 cal. Lee REAL question

Anybody casting the Lee REAL in .45-250gr? What size do they drop at? Just wondering if they could be sized down to .452 and loaded into a sabot for the fast twist guns. Yes, I realize Lee makes it in .50 also. Just wondering if there may be an advantage here, in possibly easier loading, or tighter groups. Anybody ever tried it?

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    The Lee 250-grain R.E.A.L. bullets are not cylindrical, but stepped, having the smallest band at the base, and each successive band increasing in diameter towards the front. This is to enable easy hand starting into the muzzle, and engraving the bullet as it is driven into the barrel with a short starter, hence the name Rifling Engraved At Loading.

Mine is .445 at the base, .450 second band, .455 third band, .460 top band.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    The Lee 250-grain R.E.A.L. bullets are not cylindrical, but stepped, having the smallest band at the base, and each successive band increasing in diameter towards the front. This is to enable easy hand starting into the muzzle, and engraving the bullet as it is driven into the barrel with a short starter, hence the name Rifling Engraved At Loading.

Mine is .445 at the base, .450 second band, .455 third band, .460 top band.
    Thanks for posting. What twist rate do you shoot them in, and how do you like it? I have a Traditions Buck Skinner .50cal, in a 1/20 twist. I've never shot anything but sabots from it. It shoots 2-3" groups at 100yds. So I never really felt the need to experiment any further. Don't really want to mess with what works, but now I'm thinking about being adventurous and trying something different.
    And the fact that they are stepped, make me realize they won't do well in a sabot.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by fastdadio View Post
    Thanks for posting. What twist rate do you shoot them in, and how do you like it? I have a Traditions Buck Skinner .50cal, in a 1/20 twist. I've never shot anything but sabots from it. It shoots 2-3" groups at 100yds. So I never really felt the need to experiment any further. Don't really want to mess with what works, but now I'm thinking about being adventurous and trying something different.
    And the fact that they are stepped, make me realize they won't do well in a sabot.
    I shoot a T/C Cherokee with 1:48" twist and a Ruger Old Army revolver with 1:20" twist, Shoots well in both.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.