Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2PBcastcoReloading Everything
WidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: God is good !

Boolit Master

God is good !

In the past week two different people have walked into my shop and said here for you and handed over a nice new/old mold. Now getting a new mold always is a simple pleasure especialy when there free. The first one was a Lyman double #358156BW. I think it was for the 38/44 outdoorsman as it has the double crimp groove and looks to be about 160gn. Well not too exciting but a good usable mold.
    The second one is a bit more unusual. It is a Lyman single #366408. Hear that Deputy Al an old Lyman 9.3 mil - E - me - ter. I have never seen this one. Its shapped just like the old Lyman 250gn for the 38/55, in fact thats what I thought it was till I looked at the numbers. It has a thick base band then four narrower bands then a thick front band. There are 5 grease grooves and a crimp groove, but its a plain base.
    It matters not that I have no rifle in 9.3 MM I just realy like acquiring out of print molds. Yes God is good, he gives us what we nead and sometimes the desires of our hearts too.
    BIC/BS

Banned

Yes HE is.

Boolit Master
    Bullshop, when you get around to casting some of those 9.3 boolits, how about posting a picture of them. And please if at all possible give the unsized diameter. I have a swedish huskqvarna mauser in 9.3x57 and its begging to be shot with real boolits. Regards Frank

Boolit Grand Master
    A board member sent me some samples of #366408 a while back, and they shot quite well for me using 18.0 x 2400 in the 9.3 x 62. The castings were .368" as cast.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Buddy
    Yes God is good .
    He is also a caster and mold maker . some would say he is a clumsy caster though cause he keeps breaking the molds .

I bet that lyman 366408 is a very rare bird . i have seen that mold in a lyman catalog dated 1962 and they quit making those back when most had forgoten that the 9.3s exsited .
    Last edited by The Nyack Kid; 12-10-2005 at 07:01 PM.
    Real guns shoot at least an ounce of lead

Boolit Grand Master
    9.3mm molds are pretty rare critters--period.

Mountain Molds has them--and I like mine very much. The design was developed by "Eirik" on Accuratereloading.com--a poster from Scandinavia--an ogival flat point with 70% meplat, basically.

NEI shows a few designs as well. Again, I got some samples of a couple NEI designs from a poster here--soon after getting the CZ rifle. The 9.3 x 62 sure is a cast-friendly caliber, in my shallow but happy experience with this CZ rifle.

Bullshop--I'm not sure if anyone sells pre-cast 9.3 boolits in any number. This might be a niche you could explore commercially. There are a pretty decent number of 9.3mm shooters here in the States, and the red-coated pretenders aren't cheep by any means--even the Speers are getting kinda decadent to buy.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master

I have a 366408, and they drop just under .368 usually

My Dad bought the mold probably 40 years ago for a Scottish 400/360 WR 2.75 NE double he had. He sold the rifle many years ago, and about 20 years ago I bought a Valmet double in 9.3x74R, so he gave me the mold.

The bullets shoot well with moderate charges of 2400 and 4759. I've never tried fillers (they scare me). In the past I sized to .366 in a Lyman sizer/lube machine. Recently I got a .368 size die, and intend to try Free checks.

I think I could be convinced to provide some samples.

CDD

Perma - Banned

IIRC there used to a be a 9mm Mauser round that was around .366, a bunch of English rounds of that caliber and quite heavily imported, and wasn't there some WW1 round that used a boolit around .366? Used to be the factory would load for ALL the guns out there, not just what "marketing" said was worth it. Hence, Lyman had moulds like this. But not anymore.....

Boolit Buddy
    there were quite a few 9.3s and 360 cals used till about WW2.
    I know of the:
    360 express
    360 #2 nitro express
    9.3x57 this is a neat one think of the ,358 winny ,50 years before the 358s time.
    9.3x62. this is the most populer one .its starting to make a comeback think "36 whelen improved " thats a year older than the 30-06 ,ive got a few.
    9.3x64 brenneke this one close to the 375 H&H balistick wise , but in a 06 length action
    9.3x74 this is arimmed round that i would love to get my hands on in a fine pre-war single shot rifle (dream on kid)

I would be willing to bet that our scandanavian freinds have a bounch of these lyman molds as they are the ones who like the 9.3s the most (dont blame em) i do know that there is a lot of differant 9.3s running around out there.
    Real guns shoot at least an ounce of lead

In Remembrance

Pleasant Valley, NV, 400 yd. N of Galena Creek
    Cartridges of the World shows 9 X 63 with a .357" bullet diameter, (wonder where our .35 whelen came from?) and 9 X 70R Mauser also .357". John Taylor, in African Rifles and Cartridges, mentions the 9mm Mauser and Mannlicher rifles as using .355" bullets. Taylor was not as enthusiastic over these 9mm's as he was about the 9.3 X 62.
    Eagles have talons, buzzards don't. The Second Amendment empowers us to be eagles. curmudgeon

Boolit Master
    I ran some from the new/old mold yesterday. In straight WW they dropped at .3685 and 253gn. Looks like Lyman kept sharpening the cherry for the 38/250 till it became metric.
    BIC/BS

Boolit Grand Master

Isn't this design sort of a Loverin-inspired critter? Tapered round nose, smaller shallow grooves? Memory isn't the most reliable aspect of my existence, for sure. This one did shoot very well from the CZ. I generally prefer gas-checked designs for most rifle work, but these gave no leading during my short experience with them. This has been stated in other threads, but as a matter of general information the 9.3mm boolits with gas check shanks use .375" GC's.

There are two very distinct characters to the 9.3 x 62 caliber in my rifle, as is true with most post-1900 "high-powered" rifle calibers--one comes from their full-value jacketed bullet aspect, the other from their decelerated cast boolit capabilities. NO DOUBT that a 286 grain Nosler Partition at 2400 FPS will collect large game animals if the operator does his part, and can do fine work with cast boolits on deer-sized game using what I call "38-55" load intensities.

This second facet of the caliber will get more of my attention this coming year, after spending a good deal of time with the NosParts in 2005. Them critters SHOOT--so that's a lock. Not cheap--but all things excellent are both rare and difficult. Now--to get the castings REALLY working, and see what velocity limits can be reached with accuracy. I have what I think is a pretty good hunting load with estimated 1700 FPS imparted to the MM 270 grainer--23.0 x 2400/dacron. The better scope now atop the rifle should help sort things out.

Boolit Master
    Al;
    I am shooting the Lyman 358314, a 214gr with gas check and lube , rn .
    I am using it sized .359 in an H&R Ultra ss, with LBT soft blue lube.
    I am getting 2380 fps with good accuracy. under 1" at 50 yds with IMR4198, 40gr and with Rel7, 45gr.
    These are comfortable shooting loads.
    I also did BLC-2, 58gr and 2360fps.
    I shoot 3 through the chrono, average and round to nearest 10 fps, just cannot believe a chrono is accurate to the foot.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank46
    Bullshop, when you get around to casting some of those 9.3 boolits, how about posting a picture of them. And please if at all possible give the unsized diameter. I have a swedish huskqvarna mauser in 9.3x57 and its begging to be shot with real boolits. Regards Frank
    In Straight WW it is .3685" - 253 grains
    here is a picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Tpr. Bret
    IIRC there used to a be a 9mm Mauser round that was around .366, a bunch of English rounds of that caliber and quite heavily imported, and wasn't there some WW1 round that used a boolit around .366? Used to be the factory would load for ALL the guns out there, not just what "marketing" said was worth it. Hence, Lyman had moulds like this. But not anymore.....
    http://www.neihandtools.com/catalog/366-260-gc-dd.jpg
    http://www.neihandtools.com/catalog/366-304-gc.jpg
    Have mercy.
    A haw, haw, haw, haw, a haw.
    A haw, haw, haw

Boolit Master
    Wills
    I have the NEI #174. It come's in at 285gn in WW. I orderd it with the DD ring but the new management forgot to cut the ring. I didnt want to send it back so have it as you have pictured. I have used it in my 35 Whelen imp but had to size it down on both the body and nose. .360" body and .351" nose worked but too much trouble when I have so many correct for caliber. The 9.3 was to fill a custom order but I just had to try it and the Whelen is the closest thing I have to a real 9.3mm
    BIC/BS

Boolit Grand Master
    Yep--them's the critters I shot from the CZ a while back. Kind of a plain-base Loverin.

Boolit Master
    Bullshop, thanks for the picture of the lyman 9.3 boolits. They sure look nice. My eyes ain't what they used to be but it looks like a plain based boolit. Again thanks. Frank

Boolit Buddy
    Just picked up a cape gun with a 9.3 bore. Does anyone happen to have components to load 9.3x57R ? That is my best guess. Chamber is slightley longer than 38-55 which chambers just fine but is .10 too wide a projectile, and 9.3x72R is about a half inch too long....

Boolit Buddy
    Holy necro posts! This thread is almost 5 years old

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast