RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackboxLee Precision
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Heat wave. Please keep cool and keep an eye on loved ones.

Boolit Master

Heat wave. Please keep cool and keep an eye on loved ones.

Please take care of yourselves and keep an eye on loved ones and friends with the excessive heat coming this weekend. Keep hydrated if you work outside. Stay safe please. Al.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Master
    Not just at home. Stay safe at work!

Be aware of yourself. Be aware of your body.

If you feel your vision starting to close down.

If you feel yourself light headed...

Get out of the heat. Get off heavy equipment and get yourself into the shade. Get some water to drink. Cool your body off.

We had a young guy - he was with a contractor coming out to do a job - fall out today at work. Luckily he wasn't hurt but it could have been bad.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    Believe me i will be hiding in the ac.

Banned
    I’m nekkid and lovin’ it!

Boolit Master

I work out in it every day. 106 heat index yesterday, 90% humidity. Coastal South Carolina.

Tips:

1. Start hydrating when you wake up.
    2. Become one with wet underwear.
    3. Good Hat.
    4. Long sleeve quick drying shirt.
    5. Take your time.

If you ain't peeing, you're dying.

We only have 2 or three more months of this before it cools down to 80 degrees.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

Boolit Grand Master

Thats a good reminder. If you work outside, drink lots of water. Don't wait until you get hot, start drinking early. Try to plan your work, if possible, to avoid the hottest parts of the day. Pay attention to what your body is telling you. If you work with others, keep an eye on them too! Also, take care of your pets.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 762 shooter View Post
    I work out in it every day. 106 heat index yesterday, 90% humidity. Coastal South Carolina.

Tips:

1. Start hydrating when you wake up.
    2. Become one with wet underwear.
    3. Good Hat.
    4. Long sleeve quick drying shirt.
    5. Take your time.

If you ain't peeing, you're dying.

We only have 2 or three more months of this before it cools down to 80 degrees.

Yeah, all good suggestions. I also worked out in it, before I retired. When you do work out in it all of the time you get acclimated to it. It starts in the spring and your tolerance increases as the weather warms up. Those that don't work out in it are at more risk. If you come home from an air conditioned job be careful mowing the yard or playing sports. Heat stress or exhaustion in nothing to fool with!

Boolit Master

I was mulching my tomatoes yesterday and almost passed out. I drank plenty of water and was only in the sun for a short time. I still don't feel well, I guess I'm not as tough as I used to be.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master

108 heat index here yesterday. Spent all afternoon (re)organizing my (air-conditioned) reloading room...76 F./55% humidity. Didn't realize I had that much empty brass on hand; supposed to be the same (or hotter) 'til Monday so I guess I'll have to switch the Dillon 450 over to .45 ACP for a couple days.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

At eighteen years old, not much fat at 180 lbs, I enjoyed much strength until the day that I got so hot that perspiration ceased and then staggered about 300 yards to the house. I am thinking heat stroke, but undiagnosed. Never felt the inner strength as before after that. Lost weight down to 165 and stayed around there a couple years. Didn't lose all strength though. I suppose
    I am doing fairly well these days able to do a couple hours of hard work, hunt and shoot the bow. A lot of my friends at 84 year don't seem to be very active. I just give God the Praise.. Finallly , a heat stroke can really do you in, healthwise so listen to all the above advice to avoid having one.

Boolit Master
    yes I take these warnings with a grin. why I was a welder. we would go to work every day put on the leathers and weld. would soak up the clothes in about 2 hours. just got used to the heat in fact I did not have an air conditioner until I was 50. was so use to the heat would go to a shooting match on a 90 deg. day and not even break a sweat.

Hey Bob How much water did you drink every day? Did you guys eat salt tablets? The day that I got too hot was at Wichita Falls Texas where temps upwards of 117 degrees F pretty regularly. One paving company where I worked in and around the hot asphalt would shut down and send us home when temp reached 106 degrees and a lot of the time that was around 9:30 am. I admire you welder guys and A/C guys up on the roofs day in and out.

Worked most of my life in a copper foundry.
    Got use to the heat.
    Its the humidity I have a problem with.
    If its hot, ok, I'll take that, but if the humidity is high, I give up

Boolit Master
    If you decide to dump water over your head, DO NOT use ice cold water!! Use cool to luke-warm only.
    R.D.M.

Boolit Master
    we would drink 1-2 gal a day. no little 8oz bottle more like a 10-12 oz. in each hand. no salt tabs they used to give them out but they said they were not good for some raised blood pressure too much they gave us gator aid. some would lose a pound or more a shift .

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    Quote Originally Posted by OldBearHair View Post
    Hey Bob How much water did you drink every day? Did you guys eat salt tablets? The day that I got too hot was at Wichita Falls Texas where temps upwards of 117 degrees F pretty regularly. One paving company where I worked in and around the hot asphalt would shut down and send us home when temp reached 106 degrees and a lot of the time that was around 9:30 am. I admire you welder guys and A/C guys up on the roofs day in and out.
    Had a job on a tugboat or a while when young in the summer with those steel decks it would get to 130 or so degrees in the engine room it was brutal and you couldn't stay long.

If you feel like it's getting you- it is. Run water over your wrists, elbow pits, knee pits first. No job is more important than your health. 60 years in the Texas sun speaking here.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Moderator Emeritus

My excavating friend called me this morning about some screened top soil I am looking for. Says they are working from 6 am to 2 pm because of the heat. Problem was he called me at 6:45 am. My dog hadn't woken me up yet as I had another rough nite of not sleeping.

Boolit Master

I helped my neighbor out in is body shop today before the heat got to bad. His shop has A/C but it don't keep up when it's this hot.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Master
    I use not sweat a lot. Use to work out in the heat on the farm hoeing tobacco or working the hay fields. Then when I was 16 we went camping in July. I got so hot I quit sweating and got sick to my stomach. I went and laid down in the tent didn’t wake up until the next afternoon. From then on I get hot doing anything when the temp gets over 65. I start pouring sweat soaking all my clothes top to bottom dripping sweat everywhere. I will even pour sweat if I eat something temperature hot.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast