RotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionRepackboxReloading EverythingLoad Data
Wideners Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pedersoli 38-55 Hi-wall problems

Boolit Grand Master
    I friend of mine has an Italian high wall (Pedersoli? Uberti?) Anyway, he was getting similar results out of his until he borrowed my VERY oversized (.383”) Ideal 375249 and his problem went away. Not sure that’s your problem, but I’ve seen a couple of high walls (one Italian, one original) that had that problem.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    I friend of mine has an Italian high wall (Pedersoli? Uberti?) Anyway, he was getting similar results out of his until he borrowed my VERY oversized (.383”) Ideal 375249 and his problem went away. Not sure that’s your problem, but I’ve seen a couple of high walls (one Italian, one original) that had that problem.

Froggie
    my rifle has been slugged at .377

Boolit Buddy
    I have owned two Uberti High Walls and with both of them, the best groupings with the 330 range bullets was larger than the worst groupings with bullets in the 250 range. Based on twist and bore, they both should have shot the heavier bullets well, but another example of how my guns obviously do not read the same books I read!!

Boolit Master
    Jackpine I mean no disrespect to you. I just do buy in to different gun like different things like the weight of bullets.

Your gun likes what it like because of the particulars of your gun.

Accurracy is determined by physics. I was going to make a long post but I will keep it short. If you gun is not reacting as it should you have a problem somewhere. It could be the formula you are using or it could be the throat in your gun. My point is physics didn't change when they made your gun.

Look for the problem.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by GARD72977 View Post
    Jackpine I mean no disrespect to you. I just do buy in to different gun like different things like the weight of bullets.

Accurracy is determined by physics. I was going to make a long post but I will keep it short. If you gun is not reacting as it should you have a problem somewhere. It could be the formula you are using or it could be the throat in your gun. My point is physics didn't change when they made your gun.

Look for the problem.
    Not really sure what you are trying to convey. You say to agree that different guns like different weight of bullets, which is what I thought I said.

Boolit Master
    My point is twist will always work better with a certain length of bullet.

The reason a shorter or longer bullet than the optimal length bullet does better has nothing to do with twist. It is going to be another variable like sizing, throat design, bullet design or hardness etc...

I'm just saying a twist will be optimal with a certain length bullet at a given velocity.

When some newby reads a post like this he goes away thinking that the twist is not a rule set it stone. The truth is it's just one of many factors in accurracy. You can shoot accurrate bullets with less than optimal twist. There is just some potential not used.

Boolit Buddy
    It sure sounds like the twist is not 1in12 my old Shiloh is 1 in 14 and it won't work with that long a bullet.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oger View Post
    It sure sounds like the twist is not 1in12 my old Shiloh is 1 in 14 and it won't work with that long a bullet.
    my twist is 1-12 i checked it myself

Boolit Mold
    The heavier the bullet the faster the twist needed. Now check your bullets for consistency in weight. The long length could cause voids.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bkingnsmth View Post
    The heavier the bullet the faster the twist needed. Now check your bullets for consistency in weight. The long length could cause voids.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    i weigh all my bullets and shoot them in groups. out of 500 poured they all were within 2 grains of each other.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GARD72977 View Post

Look for the problem.
    what problem could be with the throat.my bullet when sized to 381 shaves off about 3ths before the top driving band.what problem could this cause? I bought a 378 sizer and loaded some up tonite and they dont seem to touch the throat or shave off any lead.

Boolit Buddy
    Two grains is a LOT of weight variation. Think more along plus or minus two tenths variation.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpsguy View Post
    Two grains is a LOT of weight variation. Think more along plus or minus two tenths variation.
    they are two gains in pouring. I shoot them in batches of 2 tenths of a grain

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by barnabus View Post
    what problem could be with the throat.my bullet when sized to 381 shaves off about 3ths before the top driving band.what problem could this cause? I bought a 378 sizer and loaded some up tonite and they dont seem to touch the throat or shave off any lead.
    My point is if you have a 1in12 and Jimbob has a 1in12 they are the same. What is different? The Chamber, Bore,Throat, etc..... This is the reason not your twist is different than others.

Going back to the picture in post #10 of the round pushed into the chamber then extracted I have to wonder about the bullet size. The lead is pushed back as a smooth collar all around the nose of the bullet. Not just the leade of the rifling.

Am I wrong in thinking that is a "red flag"? If the bullets are that large and if there's a bit of a sharp step that peels off lead like this I'm sort of thinking that there's little advantage and perhaps a disadvantage if the bullets are sized to anything larger than the diameter of that cut down diameter. Perhaps the peeled off lead is getting caught in the riding bands and causing problems with the run down the bore? Or otherwise fouling up the accuracy?

I've got a Uberti High Wall myself. I tried heavier bullets and had zero luck. But later found out that the diameter of those bullets were a little small. I've had good luck with my own rifle in bumping up the bullet diameter in a swaging mold I made. But I rapidly found that I needed a nose cone mold to prevent the nose from increasing in diameter. So far I've got my best results from bumping 245gn .378-.379 bullets up to .381 to .382. Most are .382 but the odd one only bumps to .381. Likely me not whacking the plunger hard enough.
    Witty saying to be plagarized shortly.....

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Ideal 375166 - 320gr - 42gr FFg accurate to 500 meters in a 1:18 twist
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BCRider View Post
    Going back to the picture in post #10 of the round pushed into the chamber then extracted I have to wonder about the bullet size. The lead is pushed back as a smooth collar all around the nose of the bullet. Not just the leade of the rifling.

Am I wrong in thinking that is a "red flag"? If the bullets are that large and if there's a bit of a sharp step that peels off lead like this I'm sort of thinking that there's little advantage and perhaps a disadvantage if the bullets are sized to anything larger than the diameter of that cut down diameter. Perhaps the peeled off lead is getting caught in the riding bands and causing problems with the run down the bore? Or otherwise fouling up the accuracy?

I've got a Uberti High Wall myself. I tried heavier bullets and had zero luck. But later found out that the diameter of those bullets were a little small. I've had good luck with my own rifle in bumping up the bullet diameter in a swaging mold I made. But I rapidly found that I needed a nose cone mold to prevent the nose from increasing in diameter. So far I've got my best results from bumping 245gn .378-.379 bullets up to .381 to .382. Most are .382 but the odd one only bumps to .381. Likely me not whacking the plunger hard enough.
    i have slugged the bore after the photo above and thought the same and have sized the bullets at 378 which is correct for a 377 bore.no nose damage and it still tumbles
    Last edited by barnabus; 08-15-2019 at 05:19 AM.

Banned

how does the muzzle crown look through a magnifying glass?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    how does the muzzle crown look through a magnifying glass?
    its fine and shoots shorter and lighter bullets into about 1.5 inches at 100 yards.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12