Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationRepackboxLoad Data
Lee Precision Wideners

Thread: Lee auto prime II

Boolit Master

Lee auto prime II

Anyone else still use this old girl? I have a lyman acculine press that I use just for this and the lee push through Sizers. Sure makes quick work of repriming cases.

Boolit Master

I love mine, in fact I wore out the pin that goes into the shell holder and a very blessed member here made me a couple of spares. I have an RCBS Partner press, the unit is never removed. The Partner gives so much feel during the process that it is easy and quick.

Boolit Master
    I loved my first Lee Auto-Prime. I just wanted to try the AP 2. Loved it so much I soon got an inexpensive little Lee RELOADER press to make priming a perminate set-up.

Loved that system so much I then got Lee's excellent Universal Deprimer die and another little RELOADER press for it. Together, I can easily, quickly - and cleanly - handle all of my deprime/reprime tasks.

Loved the combination so much I got a scrap metal plate, 4"x 5" x 1/2", and mounted the pair of little presses side by side on it.

The finished assembly can easily be C-clamped to the edge of my loading bench and I'm ready to deal with primers in seconds. (The same mounting plate could easily be made with a bit of scrap 3/4" plywood plus four T-nuts and short bolts.)

Why Lee's excellent Auto-Prime 2 sold so poorly they were finally dropped I'll never understand.

Boolit Master
    Did the same as 1hole, mounted it on a piece of 1/4 that I C-clamp to my bench. Like the fact I can feel the primer seat. Even got some spare parts from Lee and a spare one off Ebay. Only issue is the last 5-10 primers feeding into the die, easy solution was to use a cable tie, snipped end square and insert in through. A gentle nudge and the primer is over the ram. Can't use the hand held (arthritis) and hated the old primer arm, prime on upstroke system.

The Auto Prime II is the best priming system I ever used. Smooth, consistent error free feed and 100% reliable. All my rifle brass and small runs of pistol are primed on a Auto Prime II. Have one set up full time for large primers and one for small primers.

My go to primer unless running progressive press which primes on the fly.

GD
    #2 member of the 10%ers

Boolit Master
    I just clamp the lyman acculine to the table. It sure is a handy priming system.

Boolit Master
    Dodge Co. GA. Between the Ocmulgee and Little Ocmulgee rivers.
    No complaints about mine, other than I lost it, right after I bought it. It finally turned up after twenty some odd years. I don't understand why they quit making it.

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

US Govt mantra: If it's moving tax it. If it's still moving regulate it. If it stops moving subsidize it

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jimkim View Post
    No complaints about mine, other than I lost it, right after I bought it. It finally turned up after twenty some odd years. I don't understand why they quit making it.
    Quit because too few folks were buying them.

Boolit Master
    Issue was they did not work well with some primers, okay with CCI and I think R-P, but limited on WIN and IIRC no Federals. CCI are my favorite primers so wasn't a problem for me but was if your LGS didn't stock them or you preferred a different brand.

Boolit Master
    Dodge Co. GA. Between the Ocmulgee and Little Ocmulgee rivers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich/WIS View Post
    Issue was they did not work well with some primers, okay with CCI and I think R-P, but limited on WIN and IIRC no Federals. CCI are my favorite primers so wasn't a problem for me but was if your LGS didn't stock them or you preferred a different brand.
    Mine works with my CCI's, Tula/Wolf, and Win primers. I haven't tried it with Fed yet. I'm not wild about Fed primers though.

US Govt mantra: If it's moving tax it. If it's still moving regulate it. If it stops moving subsidize it

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jimkim View Post

Lee may have considered the auto bench prime a replacement for it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by onelight View Post
    Lee may have considered the auto bench prime a replacement for it.
    Perhaps. I've lost track of time but seems like ten years or so between dropping the first and offering the next. Anyway, I still have my AP 2 but if it crashes before I crash I'll sure try the bench primer.

Boolit Bub
    Love my autoprime II's. In fact I own 3. I have bought some Lyman and RCBS prime dies to change into autoprime dies if I can. Have to get the equipment first but that is on the wish list. You would think someone would take the design and improve it a little and remarket it.