RepackboxReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Load DataRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Wideners

Thread: Check on a non gc base

Boolit Buddy

Check on a non gc base

Is there a method to installing a gc on a boolit not meant for one. Will running it through the sizer mash it on anyway. (i don't have checks for the boolit yet or I'd try)
    Thanks

Boolit Buddy
    It won't work on a flat base but I have been able to force them on a beveled base. To put them on a flat base you must turn the base down some way or use a method of placing the check in the mold before pouring and pour through a hole drilled through the check. There is an article somewhere that gives this process in detail.

Boolit Master
    There is also a process called Free Checks that use an aluminum check that you make yourself. If you search for Free Checks, there are numerous discussions about the process and the tools required.
    Reading can provide limited education because only shooting provides YOUR answers as you tie everything together for THAT gun. The better the gun, the less you have to know / do & the more flexibility you have to achieve success.

If you have a way to turn down the diameter of the rearmost driving band you can put a gas check on any boolit.
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Boolit Grand Master

If you have the right size hole punch for the boolit you could cut whatever metal and super glue the check to the base... Seems like there was a thread some months back someone was turning checks backwards and super gluing them on..

In a straight case, start the check in the case by hand and use the expander to make it square. Then load the bullet. I have used this method on 45-70 and 44 mag.

Boolit Master
    Ohio- Painesville and Cleveland and Port Clinton.
    Or just use cream of wheat, pufflon, or similar.

Boolit Buddy
    If you don't crimp or glue the check on it will most likely come off after firing. I put a 30cal hole in a plexieglass storm window that was about 10 feet to the side of my line of fire. The old style lyman check came off a 30-30 round and went through the 1/8 inch plastic and is still laying between the storm window and the screen.