Lee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingWidenersSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Repackbox

Thread: SP-101 grips

SP-101 grips

I just picked up a sp-101 in 4" 357. I don't have large hands, but the grip frame is really short.
    Do any of you have this revolver with the Hogue rubber grip? If so, is it longer than stock?
    The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -- Thomas Jefferson

I have a .22lr 8 shot sp101. The factory grip was even too small for my very petite wife. We put the hogue grip on and it was a big improvement. It is at least a couple inches longer.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Buddy
    I don’t much like the looks of the Hogue grip, but for actual shooting use it’s a huge improvement over the old rubber factory design. Hogue has offered that shape in hard nylon as well, which I prefer for concealed carry-it doesn’t stick to clothing like the rubber does.

Boolit Master
    I guess it depends on the purpose you intend for the SP101's.
    I have two, a 357 and 327. I removed the grips on both and installed Crimson Trace laser grips. I think you can get the grips in hard rubber if you wish.
    With my eyesight, open sights are not very useful anymore, and the CT grips are a little longer too.

Boolit Master
    I kept the originals on mine. The Hogue is a longer grip and it sticks out of my pocket. Mine is a 3 inch 327. If mine were the 4 inch, I would put the Hogue on it.

Thanks for the info, guys. I appreciate it.
    The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -- Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master
    I have the Hogue's on both my my sp101s the soft on the .357 the hard on the 327 they are still small grips . I find the soft (more sticky) easier to hold on to with full power 357s. Mine are both 4.2 .
    I hope you enjoy yours . They are slim enough to carry IWB all day and heavy enough to handle full power loads and not beat me up to bad.

Boolit Master

I don't even know where the original grips are anymore, went with Hogue and have been extremely satisfied. SP 101 4" 357 SS.

Boolit Master

I got a sp101 same as yours and put the hogue on it , used to carry it in my work pants front pocket as they were deep pockets . Carried with out showing and was a lot better then stock grip , still have original grip but will never put it back on , buy the hogue it is worth it.

Boolit Buddy
    I have tried both the Hogue and Pachmayr Diamond Pro grips on my SP101s and prefer the Pachmayrs, They seem to fill my hand a little better. I have no experience in carrying my SP101s concealed and cannot comment.

Gus Youmans
    Last edited by Gus Youmans; 08-13-2019 at 10:51 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

I'm a big fan of most Hogue rubber grips, they work well on most handguns. The SP101 is not one of them. I speak from experience from trying every available grip for an SP101, which is not many. The original grip is no good no matter how you cut it. It was designed to be small, and that's about it. If you have small hands, or maybe medium hands with shorter fingers, the Hogue grip may work ok. It is a very small grip. For the average guy with medium to large hands, there is no competition, the Pachmayer diamond pro grip is the best. It conceals at least as well as the Hogue, if not better, It has a trigger reach for an average person, and thick enough you feel like you are holding onto something.

If you have small to medium hands, there are a few guys in asia that make wood square butt grips. I would recommend jaruwan.p on flea bay. Unfortunately the size is similar to the original grip or Hogue grip, quite small. It is a big advantage in that the shooting angle is much better, plus you get your pinky on the grip.

That brings me to the Achilles heel of the Pachmayer grip, and to a lesser extent the Hogue. The grip angle is way too high for me. If I bring the gun up naturally, I have to break my wrist downward to sight.

As much as I like Herretts stocks, I do have a couple of their grips, I have to call foul on them in the case of Rugers. It is ballpark $425 plus you have to ship them your gun for an unknown number of weeks. Most smith and wesson and probably colt is going to run about $150 to your door. Their only reason given is "Rugers have always been a custom for us, we never tooled up for them". That's unacceptable price gouging. I will not be buying anything from them again. Needless to say, I did not pay for custom SP101 grips. There are no other custom grip makers I have ever found that will make something for an SP101.

I guess I lied earlier, I have not tried an Eagle brand grip, and they have one or two for the SP101. Both look like the size, shape, and angle of the Hogue grip.

Ultimately my solution was to make my own grips. Trying to make them from scratch did not go well, I'm not a woodworker after all. I ended up taking a set of wood grips for a GP100 to a router until they fit the SP101. I had to do a few other fitting things, and then bedded them to the frame with Devcon epoxy. They are rock solid, and at the angle I want.

They are not perfect, but way better than anything else I've tried. They don't conceal in the pocket; they do work just fine on a belt under a T shirt. Probably a little ridge when bending over, although no showing at all when standing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0610191415a.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	87.7 KB 
ID:	246618
    Last edited by megasupermagnum; 08-12-2019 at 01:29 PM.

Boolit Master

Pachmayr makes at least 3 different grips for the SP101. The Diamond Pro, the Compac, and wood (checkered and smooth). To be useful, we need to distinguish between them. I did not like the angle of the Compac. The Hogues seemed to handle magnum recoil the best, moving the hand down away from the cylinder release and trigger guard, and providing the longest grip. I eventually dropped the Hogues in favor of the Diamond Pros, as I pulled my shots a bit with the Hogues. Probably due to the small diameter of the grips. The Hogues would probably still be my choice for magnum field SD. I settled on the Diamond Pros, but I don't see them lasting forever as the rubber is very soft. I use my SP101 mostly for 25-50 yard plinking with 38/38+p. With the Diamond Pros, the cylinder release bites my thumb with heavy magnums. I actually didn't mind the stock grips too much for 38s but the ridge on the left side of the grip rubbed my thumb quite a bit during extended shooting sessions. Magnums were pretty awful with them.

Boolit Grand Master

I was aware of the pachmayer wood grips, but never heard of the compact before now. When I was talking about pachmayer, I was refereing to the diamond pro, however I did have a set of the wood grips. The wood grips are identical in every way that I can tell to the diamond pro, besides being made of wood of course. One good way to do it is buy from Amazon. I tried every kind they had, including wood pachmayers, and sent them back for free when I did not like them. The only ones I kept are the diamond pro pachmayer's. I do have the jaruwan.p grips too, I should put those up for sale. They are nice grips, just too small for me.

Boolit Master

Have the 3" in 357 still have the stock grips on but looking at https://badgercustomgrips.com/ruger/sp101-boot-grip
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Buddy
    Anybody ever get their middle finger knuckle pounded with the factory grip? I shot one a couple years ago. Won't do that again. Hogue or Pachmyer Compac only

Boolit Grand Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3768 (1).jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	55.8 KB 
ID:	246693
    I like the Hogues. They are not as concealable as some, but I wear a large glove and they suit me just fine.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.