Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackboxWideners
Titan Reloading

Thread: Lyman 55 and Graphite

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska

Lyman 55 and Graphite

Today I was trying to see if I could get my Lyman 55 to throw 70 grains of black powder. I guess that’s why they call it 55. That’s near the max I could get. In doing so I unscrewed a piece from the threads. I couldn’t get them to restart, so I decided to take it apart.

I’ve had a 55 for over thirty years (not this one), but never took one apart. When it was apart, I thought a little lube couldn’t hurt. I opted for graphite and covered all parts before putting it back together. What a difference! It works so much smoother in all respects.

I urge everyone one who uses a Lyman 55 to consider taking it apart and putting some graphite on the parts. I can’t say how long it will last, but for the moment it’s amazing.

Thanks for the tip. The 55 seems to be the most prolific powder dropper around.

Boolit Grand Master

Is you 55 a 2 slide or 3 slide model. My 3 slide will throw way over 70 grns of 1 1/2f old ensforde. I set mine with in 5 grains with the big slide Thumb screw lock and push pull. then the second slide I get with in 1 grain and the fine slide to final zero charge. I have used graphite and it does work good. I like moly disulfide powder a little better. ANother if you can find it is ptfe powder. I rub the later 2 into the surfaces with a rag or eraser.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Mine is only a two slide model. I was getting around 53 grains when I stopped and decided to do two times 35. I’ll have to check, maybe mine will do more.

Boolit Grand Master

on the side of the drum thru the handle mount should be a thumb screw for the lard slide. Its the measuring drum with the 2 slides in it. It should have a scales on the side of it to rough set. This big slide setto within 5 grns then the second or medium slide set to within 1 grn and the fine to dead on works for me