MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2RepackboxLoad DataLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Wideners

Thread: 44-77

Boolit Buddy

44-77

What would be the best parent case to reform to 44/77.
    50-110 Winchester, probably need a reamer so case head thickness might not matter.

Boolit Mold
    The parent case for this Is 43 spanish. This is just as difficult as 44/77. I finally have purchased them from Track Of the wolf @$3.39 Ea.
    That does not answer your question. but might be a last ditch effort

Vendor Sponsor

Does Buffalo Arms have them? - maybe not or I guess you have a place to buy them and wouldn't be asking.
    Chill Wills

348 Winchester
    Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Buddy
    Can't find them anywhere, TOWand BACO are out. Would at least like one so I can figure out how to make them.
    Starline has 348 but will be short when fireforming.
    Last edited by Hiwall55; 07-17-2019 at 11:02 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Beware that thick rimmed 43 Jamison and probably any other brand is TOO thick for the Shiloh chamber.

Boolit Master
    The Buffalo Arms cases I have were made from .348 Win brass. They’re all 2-1/4” long, so either they stretched them or the base sizing necessary to form them lengthened them sufficiently.

My rifle’s previous owner neck-turned some of the brass so grease-groove loads would chamber. Most of them were left with the thick neck walls, which are perfect for paper patch bore diameter boolits.

Seems like Jamison/Captech stayed in business just long enough to drive the only other producer of .44-77 brass out of the market, then imploded itself. Don’t know what a set of forming dies would cost, but they wouldn’t be cheap. The bases and rims on the .348s have obviously been turned on a lathe after forming, so anybody contemplating a new .44-77 rifle is going to be in for a lot of work and expense.
    Last edited by Bent Ramrod; 07-18-2019 at 11:11 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the replys.I know when Winchester was working on the 348 they used 50-110 brass but it wouldn't hold up to the smokless pressure so they beefed the brass up. I also know that BACO stretches there 44-77 .
    I have a 44-70 2.1,44-70 Maynard 2.2 and a 44-90 so when I got a chance to buy a 44-77 barrel off a B # Shiloh ,I thought why not.
    Only good thing is I'm going to pick up some loaded ammo with new Jamison cases this afternoon.

Hello Highwall55. I'm a little late to the party but I was able to get Bertram Brass imported to Canada for my 43 Spanish roller. I'm not sure if it came from the states or Australia as I went thru Prophet River in Alberta. It cost me 150.00 cdn by the time I got it last year so around 100.00 US. It's an option.

Boolit Master

Does anybody know about Precision Cartridge Inc? Is their brass drawn or lath turned?