RepackboxLoad DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingWidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old Weavers

Old Weavers

I like to use them on .22 rifles when they have the plain crosshairs. This K6 predates constant centered reticles( the crosshairs move as adjusted) so I counted clicks up & down to center things. Sighted in, The crosshair is a bit above the equator but the clarity is good. I braved the 100 degree heat and tried it out on my old 581 Remington with Aguila Super Extra. 5 shots in 1/2" was my best effort.
    That called for a cold agua minerale.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Banned

I like the old steel Weavers too. I'm always on the lookout for them at good prices.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a LOT of older Weavers. They work well on all rifles.
    For rimfires, I prefer the K1060B (fixed reticle). With their parallax adjustable objective, these focus down to 50 ft., so they're perfect for all rimfire shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by gewehrfreund View Post
    I have a LOT of older Weavers. They work well on all rifles.
    For rimfires, I prefer the K1060B (fixed reticle). With their parallax adjustable objective, these focus down to 50 ft., so they're perfect for all rimfire shooting.
    I have that one too and it is used to test any rifle to see what they are capable of.

I have around a dozen old Weaver Ks not on rifles. I have about that many on rifles that have been on them since rifle & scope were new. Back in 60s Weaver was top shelf. I sold a lot of my rifles the last few years and kept the Weavers. I bought all straight power K series and have never had one go bad. Have K3 & K4 on deer rifles and 22s. Have K6s-8s-10s & 12s on HVs and varmit guns. They are like Timex watches, take a licking and keep on ticking. I would much rather have a old Weaver K than most of the new Chinese junk selling for same money. Only trouble I ever had with Weaver were the Varibles back in 60s. Parallax was terrible and they would turn into rattles on heavy recoiling guns. I went to Ks back then and never had trouble.

Boolit Master
    that is all I have is old steel weavers. have a k3 post on my mini 14. have a k10 on my silhouette rifle. have magic marker dots for each range. it must work I won a class hunter two years straight.

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    I just love the older all steel Weaver scopes too. I came across these while browsing Simpson's last week, and I guess they just got in a small group of them. I got my first K4 back in the late seventies, and mounted it on my Marlin 375, so when I saw these up for sale I grabbed them. All are very clear and sharp.

Weaver K1 (El Paso) with post reticle.

Weaver K2.5 60-B (El Paso) with cross hair

Weaver K3 60 (El Paso) with cross hair

Now I have another excuse to go find some more rifles to put them on.
    Last edited by MOA; 07-18-2019 at 03:28 AM.

Boolit Master
    I really like the old steel Weaver Micro Trac scopes especially the K2.5 and K3 models for large bore rifles.

Second place are what I call the Weaver boat anchor series. This is the series just before the Micro Tracs.
    The boat anchors have a heavier steel tube and a machined steel adjustment turret. The extra weight helps slow down hard recoiling rifles and they still have the very long eye relief that the old steel K model Weavers are known for.
    EDG

Klutz that I am; I recently knocked my 7.62x39 upper off of the workbench,3 feet straight down onto concrete. Luckily the K4 “boat anchor”(love it) mounted to it broke it’s fall. A couple of tiny scratches- still dialed in. My brother broke a K6W once but he had to flip his truck to do it!
    MOA- very nice. You can shoot skeet with that K1 and I ain’t even kidding. The 60s are good ones too.

Boolit Master
    I have an old D6. Had it on my 22 bolt action, but replaced it with a V-22.

Boolit Master
    I have about a dozen of them. Some mounted and some loose. All good scopes. Plan to put the V9 AO (if it fits) on the Kleinguenther K-22 I just got. I've never had a problem with one.

Boolit Grand Master
    Thanks for posting TbG,

Brings back old but good memories. My first scopes were all Weavers. I had a K-12 on a M700 HB 50 years ago and both would shoot. Loaded .222’s on a Lee Target Loader. Regrettably all are gone now.....as I soon will be.

I wonder if there are shooting ranges in Heaven? Spending eternity without a fine rifle and scope would be disappointing.
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    Thomas that is a very cool looking rifle. I like the old weavers with the german post. Thanks for the cool pics to look at...…………………….curdog

Boolit Master
    Sometimes older rifles just look right with that blued steel tube. I have a dozen or so, a Micro Trac K12 on a Ruger 22-250 and the most interesting is a V8 with external adjustments in my 25-20 Savage.

Texas, I had several of those 580 series 22 rifles, HAD is the reason I needed a butt kicking.

Dave

For me, this is a perfect pairing. Marlin 30-30 and Weaver K4 with post and crosshair. It's like a magnifying peep sight.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

My first scope in 1963 was a Weaver El Paso 2 3/4 fine crosshairs and I love it. I still have a 2 3/4 made for Sears. james

I prefer the boat anchor Weavers. The K series of less than 4x are hard to get ahold of. In this world of varibles all the low straight powers are now specialty scopes and are high dollar. I think Specialty means guys actually use them to hunt with. I had K3 on 870 12g & Sako 375H&H since 60s and they are still good scopes. I have never seen a K2 3/4x but had a couple Redfields of that power. When buying used Weavers you have to keep in mind the 1st generation Ks were not self centering reticles. They drive me nuts if very far off center so I don't buy them.

Boolit Master
    Nice rifle and scope!
    "Don't worry what they think. In the end it is not between them and you, it is between you and God."

Je suis Charlie!

"You won't know until you Actually try it"

"The impossible just takes longer."

"Don't let them beat you down with their inexperience."

"You'll never accomplish what you don't try. " - Moldmaker

Another guy here with a boxful of the old steel Weavers. I like to find the occasional J series with the oversized Litschert objective on 'em that brings a J-4 up to 10x. They look just great on my old Stevens .22 single-shots, kinda like a baby Targetspot. Only scope I know of that's tougher than a steel K-series Weaver is the Bausch & Lomb "Balxxx" series.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    When I scope a new .22 it's always with an old straight tube Weaver, and I also just put a J-2.5 on a Rem 25 in 32-20, because the short eye relief scope that came on the rifle would hit my glasses, even with the .32-20's mild recoil.
    Unfortunately, many of these older scopes lenses are slowly becoming cloudy, or look like they have a chipped lens, but the glued lenses are slowly separating from the breakdown of the Canada balsam gum used to glue them together.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast