WidenersRepackboxInline FabricationLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Never heard of it..........

Boolit Grand Master

Never heard of it..........

Friend told us a story about a "Know it all" gunsmith.
    He took a rifle to have two holes drilled in the barrel. to mount a scope.
    Right away the guy is telling him that it was a stupid thing to do.
    How no one, who knows anything, would mount a scope to the barrel.
    When he told the guy he was mounting a Unertl scope, the guy told him..........
    Never heard of it. Must be some cheap junk.
    This guy is suppose to be the head gunsmith, at a gunshop.

New gunsmith under 50?

Carlos Hathcock is rolling over in his grave. You can't hear him of course, but he's doing it...
    Do the best you can, with what you've got, where you're at. -Theodore Roosevelt

Lot of gunsmiths around not worthy of the name. About all they do anymore is change parts on plastic guns.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

In Remembrance

I was so happy to have a gunsmith open fairly local that hot blued that I almost farted bubbles. I had him do two barrels for me that needed done for several years and they turned out awesome, no bubbles, but darn they looked good. Two other so called smiths in the area are either a bolt on expert or uses cold blue or parkerizing on everything.

Quote Originally Posted by abunaitoo View Post
    that it was a stupid thing to do..
    What he meant was--- it was a stupid thing for HIM to do.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Bought a rifle from a gun store they called a Shultz for $300 that was actually a Suhl 150- Standard. The owner that consigned the rifle and the shop had no idea what they had. Front scope mount hid the smith with the hammer and Suhl underneath.

Banned

Time to find another gun smith. Any "gun smith" who was so ignorant as to never have heard of a Unertl scope, I wouldn't trust to do anything.

Boolit Buddy

I would have thanked him for his time and left .

Boolit Grand Master

You don't have to go to any school or pass any test to hang a shingle and call yourself a "Gunsmith".
    Put up a sign and you are in business.
    Be careful who does your work , some are better than others .
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I give him credit for admitting he didn't know anything about the job. Too many would try to fake their way through it. Any gunsmith that tells you they know everything about every gun is a damned liar.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    I give him credit for admitting he didn't know anything about the job. Too many would try to fake their way through it. Any gunsmith that tells you they know everything about every gun is a damned liar.
    Amen. A man has to know his limitations.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    What he meant was--- it was a stupid thing for HIM to do.
    Now, where the heck is that 'like' button ?

I am lucky to have a gunsmith who know what he is doing. build part of a single shot rifle to 327mag and drill the hole and mount a scope for me he made the parts for the barrel after he got the barrel made He did at first made a mistake on use a different rifle to make it as a repeater and did not work out for how he wanted it .He was the one that pick the rifle to start and to make it as a repeater . He took a long time and I kept asking him about it and got piss off but I told him I going by what he told me so he made it as a Handi rifle for me . It shoots at 50 yards less the 3/4" for me. I had him look at my 1864 Brigesburg 58 cal civil war gun if he can fix it because the last gun smith look at it ,said it could not me be fix and do not shoot it . He told me bring it in and he will look at it I went home and get it and he look down the barrel and see it still have the rifling in it .He said I can fix it but will take time to find parts and fix it I was ok with that . He got it to work and fix and found the parts that was missing. He even call Gorex about how much powder to use in it and he tested himself. before I got it. it is less then 6" group at 100 yards need to work on it more for shooting to close the group down.But he dose know what he is doing. I ma lucky, he took care of the mistake he did and that is it.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master
    I've had older gunsmIths say they've never worked on a Contender.
    In all, the .41 Magnum would be one of my top choices for an all-around handgun if I were allowed to have only one. - Bart Skelton

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Amen to that!
    The only one I knew that came close around here got snapped up by the Army once they finally made him an offer he couldn't resist. The next closest one started in the Army wayyyyy the heck back and is 95% retired except things that Really turn his fancy.

Both of these guys are smart enough to figure out Most things and smart enough to not do stupid stuff.
    "Don't worry what they think. In the end it is not between them and you, it is between you and God."

Je suis Charlie!

"You won't know until you Actually try it"

"The impossible just takes longer."

"Don't let them beat you down with their inexperience."

"You'll never accomplish what you don't try. " - Moldmaker

In Remembrance

A friends Brother had a `Gunsmith` drill and tap a very nice Rem. 870 for a scope mount. Upon looking the job over later it was discovered that 1 of the screw holes was drilled thru the action and barrel and then tapped!. I hear he got a new gun out of the yelling and screaming that ensued.Robert

Boolit Master
    In his defense... Most "gun smiths" today are probably more properly defined as "Armorer's" the majority of their business these days is trigger jobs, barrel threading, barrel replacements, glass bedding etc. Work on modern lego guns. Smiths who specialize in classic Winchesters and Shutzen type rifles are becoming a dieing breed.

Boolit Grand Master

I called a gunsmith that had left his cards on the counter of the lgs north of here to get a scope mounted. He said he didn't mount scopes, no one did that anymore as all rifles came ready for a scope
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

A bad experience with a "gunsmith" when I was a teen caused me to learn how to do most gun work myself. Some call me a gunsmith but I readily admit that I am NOT one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast