Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackboxLoad Data
WidenersRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First boolits ever casted - excited for the journey ahead!

Boolit Mold

Red face First boolits ever casted - excited for the journey ahead!

Hello All,

I've finally ventured in to the world of casting.

My initial interest of casting began a couple years ago when I purchased my first box of center fire cartridges and couldn't believe the cost. I quickly read Modern Reloading by Richard Lee, purchased a Lee Loader in 303 British and got to work reloading. I was very intrigued by the casting section of the book but figured that it would be too ambitious to attempt to create high velocity rifle boolits while I was learning to reload. Jacketed projectiles were expensive still, but I saved enough money that I felt I could continue this glorious hobby of shooting. I ended up upgrading my reloading process with presses, tumblers, scales, calipers and all the other fun tools that look good on the shelf in the reloading section of the store. I became confident in the process and with all the ammo I produced I became a much better shooter.

As more guns have been added to the collection, the interest in competitive handgun shooting is in the horizon. I want to get lots of practice in but the cost of jacketed 9mm makes reloading cost prohibitive. This is the time for me to cast!

I've lurked around this board from time to time and had many of my questions answered by the excellent information here. Thank you to all that have contributed, much of what you have said has inspired me to give this a try.

This weekend my favourite shooting mate and I sorted wheel weights, processed in to ingots, and casted our first boolits from a Lee Production Pot IV in to a Lee 356-125-2R two cavity mold.

clip on wheel weights left, stick on wheel weights right.

Love how mistakes can be recycled. Each of us must have casted around 500 each but only ended up with 120 that passed inspection.

The money shot, so proud of those sharp bases and lube grooves.

Sorting wheel weights was hard on the hands. We chose the squeeze with side cutter method and developed some nasty blisters. The final consensus was that it would be useful to get the ring against some steel method calibrated.

During the melt it was quite easy to find the two zinc weights we missed floating on the top with all of the steel clips. This part of the process was both exciting, and less intimidating then I had imagined. Working with molten lead is not like working with molten steel; the temperatures are like a hot oven, not a cutting torch. We realized that our fan was under powered and purchased a much larger one for the next melt.

Casting was so satisfying. We followed the Lee instructions for the 356-125-2R mold and cleaned the cavities with lighter fluid, smoked the cavities with a lighter, and lubricated the sprue pivot and alignment pins. The first pour dropped bullets without any voids or sticking, success, but the edges of the lube grove and base of the bullet were rounded. We found that some pours would fill out nice and sharp and others would round in the details. We kept casting, after all the duds go right back in the pot. I managed to get lube in to one of the cavities and found that 30-50 casts pretty well stopped the wrinkles from appearing.

By the end of the session we had increased the temperature of the alloy to about 8 on the Production Pot and we were running the mold hotter then when we started. The boolits were almost always dropping nice and sharply filled out. A feel for temperature was an important take-away from this first casting session.

A final measurement of the boolits dropped from the Lee 356-125-2R with COWW alloy was 128.5gr to 130gr and right around 0.3575" diameter.

Our goal is to reload 9mm in volume for future IPSC practice. Ideally a single cartridge that will work in both of our guns is desirable but due to the variations in 9mm bore diameter I understand this may be impossible. I also understand that 9mm is a difficult cartridge to cast for due to the variation in bore diameter, the small case capacity and the higher than average pressures.

I will be developing a load for my Norinco 1911 9mm first. I plan to slug the bore to determine if sizing, or different mold selection, is required. Then determine the proper seating depth, flare and crimp with some dummy rounds and check to see if the load will chamber without swaging the bullet in the case. If all goes well, and I have some luck, then it will be time to determine which powder will be suitable. I think we are leaning towards powder coating as dry boolits seem most attractive to me but the jury is still out.

I'm thoroughly enjoying this venture in to the world of unlimited projectiles and I'm excited to solve some of the challenges ahead. If you've got any good strategies for a newbie like me feel free to send them my way, otherwise thank you for the inspiration to get started!

- Bear

Boolit Buddy
    You're buggered now mate. I sometimes sit at home on weekends and just cast 9mm for the sake of it.

If you purchase a mold that drops larger boolits ie .358, you'll be able to size them to fit guns of different bores. Lee sells sizing kits for not much money. They screw into any press that accepts standard size dies.

It's a good hobby eh

Boolit Buddy
    For your first time...they look good, really good. You're hooked now. I hope they shoot as good as they look. Welcome to the addiction.

Sounds like you are ready for powder coating. Try adding a little tin to your mix. Welcome to the forum and the great world of casting and reloading! Sounds like you have been doing your research.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatch View Post
    You're buggered now mate. I sometimes sit at home on weekends and just cast 9mm for the sake of it.

If you purchase a mold that drops larger boolits ie .358, you'll be able to size them to fit guns of different bores. Lee sells sizing kits for not much money. They screw into any press that accepts standard size dies.

It's a good hobby eh
    I can see why you would! We lost hours mesmerized by the solidifying sprues and dropping bullets.

I had originally purchased this mold on reports that it dropped close to .358 but it looks like I've got .357 with my alloy. I'm praying for a .356 groove diameter. Any suggestions on a 125gr ish mold that drops .358?

Absolutely it is, no more ammo shortages for this guy.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
    For your first time...they look good, really good. You're hooked now. I hope they shoot as good as they look. Welcome to the addiction.
    Thanks for the warm welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelguns 1961 View Post
    Sounds like you are ready for powder coating. Try adding a little tin to your mix. Welcome to the forum and the great world of casting and reloading! Sounds like you have been doing your research.
    Thanks for the welcome! Is a metal supplier the only good source for tin? I had heard that pewter plates at the thrift store are acceptable but I have no idea how to identify pewter.

Check out ebay. I have had excellent transactions with smeltingpot03
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    Welcome to the board glad to have you.i used a lee pot for a long time and still use it a lot. A setting of 8 seems about what mine likes and turn it down as pot gets lower. +1 for a little tin i went a long time with out using it but it can help. I size all my 9mm at .357 maybe i just got lucky and my bores are the same. I must say your bullets look very good. And as you get more experience you will get fewer and fewer rejects. I use a $10 hot plate to arm up my molds and get good bullets from the start. Lee sizers work well and are not expensive at all. I don't powder coat so can't say much except there are a lot on here that do so it must be something to it . And i am certain that if you run into problems that the members here are more than willing to help. And as i pretty much tell everyone don't hesitate to ask anything . The only dumb question is the one not asked.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by BearGrillz View Post
    ...Any suggestions on a 125gr ish mold that drops .358?
    Lee 358-125-rf

It's in the 358 section. I've had a 2 cav, now have a 6 cavity. They drop at .358 - .3585 with 50/50 cww/pb.
    I size them to 358, and shoot them in half dozen different 9's, also shot them in 38/357 mag.

Boolit Grand Master

Welcome to the addiction !
    Your story sounds a lot like mine , it started in 1967 and the fun continues to this day.
    I've got that mould , size your boolets to .357 and use guns barrels as gauges to set the seating depth.
    When both pass the plunk test , you're good to go . The 9mm can be a stinker... It was the only one that gave me difficulties but it was never designed for cast lead .
    Modern 9mm's have tight chambers and little throat...that's what gave me fits so watch boolit size , powder coating just makes them larger.
    If you run into problems just post them , most of us old dogs still have a few tricks to make them work . I got that boolit and one load to work in 4 different 9mm pistols . Been there .

If you want fatter boolits look at NOE moulds . My favorite 9mm is his 358-124- TC- GC , a 124 grain truncated cone gas check that drops them .358 .
    I shoot them in 9mm Luger , 38 special and 357 magnum...I Like It !
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 07-16-2019 at 06:57 PM.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by RED BEAR View Post
    Welcome to the board glad to have you.i used a lee pot for a long time and still use it a lot. A setting of 8 seems about what mine likes and turn it down as pot gets lower. +1 for a little tin i went a long time with out using it but it can help. I size all my 9mm at .357 maybe i just got lucky and my bores are the same. I must say your bullets look very good. And as you get more experience you will get fewer and fewer rejects. I use a $10 hot plate to arm up my molds and get good bullets from the start. Lee sizers work well and are not expensive at all. I don't powder coat so can't say much except there are a lot on here that do so it must be something to it . And i am certain that if you run into problems that the members here are more than willing to help. And as i pretty much tell everyone don't hesitate to ask anything . The only dumb question is the one not asked.
    Thanks for the welcome! I was quite pleased with the bullets myself! I certainly won't hesitate to ask as far as I can tell the community here is pretty excellent. I'm happy to hear that 9mm is working for you, it gives me hope. What sort of lube do you run if you're not powdercoating? Do you find it necessary to water quench after casting (assuming you're using wheel weight alloy?

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Bookworm View Post
    Lee 358-125-rf

It's in the 358 section. I've had a 2 cav, now have a 6 cavity. They drop at .358 - .3585 with 50/50 cww/pb.
    I size them to 358, and shoot them in half dozen different 9's, also shot them in 38/357 mag.
    Thanks for the suggestion! I'll keep that in mind if I find my bore to be too large for these guys.

Do you find 50/50 COWW to PB to be sufficient harness for the 9mm pressures? From the reading I've done it seems like a pure COWW bullet water quenched was going to be required for the 30000 PSI pressure stated in my Lee manual. It would be nice to use up some of those stick on wheel weight ingots that came from the bucket I aquired.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    Welcome to the addiction !
    Your story sounds a lot like mine , it started in 1967 and the fun continues to this day.
    I've got that mould , size your boolets to .357 and use guns barrels as gauges to set the seating depth.
    When both pass the plunk test , you're good to go . The 9mm can be a stinker... It was the only one that gave me difficulties but it was never designed for cast lead .
    Modern 9mm's have tight chambers and little throat...that's what gave me fits so watch boolit size , powder coating just makes them larger.
    If you run into problems just post them , most of us old dogs still have a few tricks to make them work . I got that boolit and one load to work in 4 different 9mm pistols . Been there .

If you want fatter boolits look at NOE moulds . My favorite 9mm is his 358-124- TC- GC , a 124 grain truncated cone gas check that drops them .358 .
    I shoot them in 9mm Luger , 38 special and 357 magnum...I Like It !
    Gary
    Thanks for the tips! I'll be sure to keep an eye on the seating depths, especially with the o-give of this bullet I expect to down load a bit to start because of the small COAL. I'll be sure to ask if I run in to issues

Boolit Master

Do give powder coat a try, it makes cast almost like plated lead in the loading and shooting/clean-up departments. It islike casting, not as "hard" as you think, just a few tricks that come with practice. Had an older gent that works at a local gun shop that shoots a lot of cast that was interested in some pc bullets that I showed him but when I tried to describe the process, he lost interest. I stopped in with one of my pc tubs with bb's and smokes clear and a handfull of fresh cast boolits. Explained the process again, dropped the bullets in and shook the wee out of it for 20-30 seconds, opened the tub and showed him the results. He looked shocked and said, "Is that it?!" Now he pc's everything he cast.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by jcren View Post
    Do give powder coat a try, it makes cast almost like plated lead in the loading and shooting/clean-up departments. It islike casting, not as "hard" as you think, just a few tricks that come with practice. Had an older gent that works at a local gun shop that shoots a lot of cast that was interested in some pc bullets that I showed him but when I tried to describe the process, he lost interest. I stopped in with one of my pc tubs with bb's and smokes clear and a handfull of fresh cast boolits. Explained the process again, dropped the bullets in and shook the wee out of it for 20-30 seconds, opened the tub and showed him the results. He looked shocked and said, "Is that it?!" Now he pc's everything he cast.
    I really do think that powder coating is pretty slick! I'll likely be heading down that road once I find a used toaster oven at a good price.

Boolit Mold
    *Update*

I have installed a vice to the workbench and slugged the barrel of the 1911. It turns out that my groove diameter is 0.3565. Bullets measure at 0.3570-0.3580. I am using a cheap vernier caliper with a 0.0005" resolution. I'll confirm the numbers with a good micrometer at work tomorrow.

Hopefully the powdercoat can take up the extra 0.0005"

Boolit Master

*Update*

I have installed a vice to the workbench...."
    Sigh.... At the risk of sounding like a school master....

A "vice" is something one does: smoke, drink, chase skirts, shoot cast boolits, etc.

A "vise" is a device one uses to hold something stationary.

Sorry, I can't stop myself. Refer to my screen name.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled programming....

Boolit Master

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll keep that in mind if I find my bore to be too large for these guys.

Do you find 50/50 COWW to PB to be sufficient harness for the 9mm pressures? From the reading I've done it seems like a pure COWW bullet water quenched was going to be required for the 30000 PSI pressure stated in my Lee manual. It would be nice to use up some of those stick on wheel weight ingots that came from the bucket I aquired.
    I must confess, I rarely shoot cast 9mm at full power. If I did, I would probably use a gas checked boolit.

Having said that, I have no problems with the 50/50 up to about 1100 fps in a 9. Never went faster.

I have taken plain base 50/50 up ~1300fps in 44 Mag, and 1250 fps in 357 Mag.

Boolit Mold
    Sigh.... At the risk of sounding like a school master....

A "vice" is something one does: smoke, drink, chase skirts, shoot cast boolits, etc.

A "vise" is a device one uses to hold something stationary.

Sorry, I can't stop myself. Refer to my screen name.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled programming....
    I actually no the difference to. I must have just slipped up in my excited frenzy. Thanks for the correction, I'll have to go back and make sure their aren't any other mistakes.

Boolit Mold
    I must confess, I rarely shoot cast 9mm at full power. If I did, I would probably use a gas checked boolit.

Having said that, I have no problems with the 50/50 up to about 1100 fps in a 9. Never went faster.

I have taken plain base 50/50 up ~1300fps in 44 Mag, and 1250 fps in 357 Mag.
    Interesting! I suppose it's just a trial and error sort of business eh? Do you down load based on the formulas set out in the lee book? I was intending on starting about 0.5 gr below minimum and working up from there.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast