Reloading EverythingWidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Load Data

Thread: Redding T-7 Turret Alignment

Boolit Bub

Redding T-7 Turret Alignment

Just bought a new Redding T-7 turret press. I mounted the press and sized a few 45ACP cases when I noticed the turret would turn counter clock wise every time I sized a case. I grabbed a dial indicator and it appears the turret moves roughly 0.012" while sizing a case. This is not front to back movement, this is counter-clockwise motion. I can't imagine being able to load good ammo with this much movement. Is it possible to adjust the turret alignment or am I worrying about nothing?

I would take this issue up with Redding...
    I've never seen or heard of a turret moving laterally like that. I first would suspect the ram is bored off center a bit, leaning to the right some. What part of the stroke makes the turret move? Does the case enter the die centered or is that when it wants to shift counterclockwise?
    Does it do that with other calibers also? That would make me suspect the ram before I questioned a faulty made shellholder. There's a ball bearing between the turret and the press top that makes it index to where it is...that could be a bit off too.

I'd take it up with Redding...I'm sure they've seen this before.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master
    You might also try a different shell holder simple thing to eliminate. Check simple first.

Boolit Grand Master

There should be a detent that locates the turret rotationally. There are several areas that could cause this. 1) ram may be bored off as mentioned above, 2) detent may be off or not seating correctly in the mating recess. 3) turret bolt may be off location. It would be interesting to try a different turret and see if the problem remains.
    My big question is do all the holes in the turret shift or just the one?

I believe I would start by removing turret and cleaning the mating surfaces and recesses for the detent clean detent also. I don't see a shell holder out that much. .012 is just shy of 1/64" that's a lot. I also would contact redding ASAP and see what they say. Some progressives the rotating shell do have a adjustment on rotation / alignment, but I don't know of one on turrets. Last ditch would be to add a shim under turret bolt head run case into die and tighten down turret locking it in alignment, then batch load

Boolit Master

I suspect a buildup of dirt and grease in the detent.

Boolit Master
    Lots of good ideas here. I have two of them and neither one ever caused any problems. I bought them based on reputation and I haven't been disappointed. However, I've seen some great companies make a few errors. Hope it's just something simple.

Banned
    Is the problem consistent with other dies/shell holders in place or is it limited to one combination of die/shell holder ?

Boolit Master

I recommend an investigation of your shell holder alignment on the ram. Could be that straightforward.