Load DataLee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2

Thread: Preval or airbrush?

Boolit Buddy

Preval or airbrush?

I'm going to DuraCoat a rifle. I've used Preval sprayers in the past and done okay. Just wondering whether an airbrush (which I've never used before) would let me do a better job (like a fan spray nozzle instead of a circular nozzle), if the learning curve isn't too steep. Thanks!
    "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I use an airbrush all the time. I make ww2 dioramas. The learning curve is not very hard to learn. I would recommend a single action air brush they are a lot easier to master. One word of caution those $10 to $20 dollar airbrushses are worth what you pay for them. A badger or panche will do well to learn on. I use acrylic paints asmost exclusively so i have never used dura coat but i have a couple of guns i thought about it. I know nothing about preval sprayers so i can't comment on them but excellent results can be obtained with an airbrush. I also use an air tank for air supply as i use mine in the house and don't want to hear a compressor. You can find good deals on ebay for used airbrushes.

You'll have a lot more control with a airbrush for finer details and fading & shading .

Someone used to sell a hose adapter for them you could run off a car tire instead of buying the little air pump.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    You'll have a lot more control with a airbrush for finer details and fading & shading .

Someone used to sell a hose adapter for them you could run off a car tire instead of buying the little air pump.
    Can't remember who but sure i have seen them on ebay a hose where you could run them off inertube. A small compressor is not very much.

Don't use duracoat but do use GunKote with an airbrush. Works great. Had a USA made Badger 250 airbrush that somehow I managed to set a IH345 head on, so it was replaced with a cheapie HF version. Don't know if the current Badgers are still USA made or not, but the HF one isn't and it still works fine to fog on a coating. I just hook them up to my 60gal compressor.

Airbrush have a circular spray pattern and good ones like Iwata are pricey. Surprisingly the Harbor Freight mini spray gun is like a .6 nozzle airbrush with a flat spray pattern. They are dirt cheap and actually pretty good. I used one and liked it so much I picked up a second to keep as a spare. Oh I also have several Iwata airbrush and bigger spray guns and I still find that dirt cheap one from Horrible freight very useful.

https://www.harborfreight.com/adjust...gun-92126.html
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

I have never tried the harbor freight one i use a paasche and just love it. But if only going to use it a couple times the harbor freight might be a good choice.

Don't get it confused with their airbrush that is terrible.
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

Boolit Master

Single action air brushes are very easy to use. If you have a compressor that or the HF gun is the way to go. The only controls are air pressure and paint flow. You need 15-35 psi and adjust the paint flow to get a wet application. You’ll need to thin the paint a little. Have fun!
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master
    I bought one of the Kobalt hot dog compressors at lowes. She has this tire air management system on her car. I bought the compressor,hose (50 ft) all the fittings to blow stuff up and they told me they really didn't want it. Works fine for keeping the radiator fins clear on my Kubota L3800 tractor. So I don't have to hump the 30 gallon one out of the garage. And so it sits in the sun room. Frank

Boolit Buddy
    I've got an airbrush on the way. Is there paint less expensive than DuraCoat that has the same viscosity so that I can practice with it first? I want to make sure I don't waste DuraCoat while I'm on the learning curve.
    Last edited by Steven66; 07-20-2019 at 08:56 AM. Reason: clarity
    "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"