RepackboxTitan ReloadingInline FabricationADvertise here
RotoMetals2WidenersLee Precision

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 325

Thread: The Bible.... Myth, Real, or Both?

  1. #41
    Boolit Buddy Snow ninja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    242
    Quote Originally Posted by EDG View Post
    When the sun turns into a red giant the earth will be burned to a crisp and there will be no more humans.
    If all humans become extinct what is the reason for god to exist?
    I think God exists because man needed to explain things. Look at any "religion" from history. The Vikings had their Gods to explain why there was thunder and such. When you think about it, a "Bible" containing all of their stories and histories would be just as outlandish as some of the claims in the Christian one. What makes one more right than the other? Other than one person's faith in it.
    Do the best you can, with what you've got, where you're at. -Theodore Roosevelt

  2. #42
    Boolit Buddy
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Central Arkansas
    Posts
    259
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow ninja View Post
    What makes one more right than the other? Other than one person's faith in it.
    And what makes one have faith in one, instead of another?
    Answer: Geography
    What "holy" book you believe in is decided largely by where on the planet you were born.

    I know there are exceptions, and this isn't true 100% of the time, but for the most part, it depends on location.
    If you were born in India, you would likely be Hindu.
    If you were born in Pakistan or Iran you would most likely be Muslim (even if you weren't you'd darn sure say you were, or you'd be killed).
    But we were born here, so most believe in Christianity.

    How lucky that we just so happened to be born in the right country and are exposed to the right "holy" book.
    Life is a series of bullseyes and backstraps - Ted Nugent

  3. #43
    Banned



    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Color Me Gone
    Posts
    8,417
    While I have never been hardcore on pre-destination, the sinner persons have now convinced me. Which brings me full-circle back to the opinion that unless this sub-forum is used to build-up, edify, and exhort The Saints, we are just throwing pearls to the swine. This sub-forum was intended as a non-denominational place for Christians to fellowship.

    Proverbs 9:8
    "Do not rebuke a mocker or he will hate you; rebuke a wise man, and he will love you."

    Matthew 7:6

    King James Bible
    "Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you."

    Good luck with this hot mess. Last time I ever engage outside what this sub-forum should be discussing.

    Matthew 10:14,15
    "And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear your words, when ye depart out of that house or city, shake off the dust of your feet…"

  4. #44
    Boolit Buddy
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Central Arkansas
    Posts
    259
    Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    While I have never been hardcore on pre-destination, the sinner persons have now convinced me. Which brings me full-circle back to the opinion that unless this sub-forum is used to build-up, edify, and exhort The Saints, we are just throwing pearls to the swine. This sub-forum was intended as a non-denominational place for Christians to fellowship.
    This is why I said in my very first post that I usually stay out of this part. I get it. If I was in a forum about Chevrolet trucks, I wouldn't like it if Ford guys trolled the forum with their "Chevy sucks" posts. You know people are out there that think that, but that's not the point of the discussion.

    I only joined in because that's the entire point of this thread.

    I do like that you at least call us pigs up front though. At least you're honest. Thank you for that.
    For what it's worth, I don't think you're a pig. You're probably a nice enough guy for the most part.
    Life is a series of bullseyes and backstraps - Ted Nugent

  5. #45
    Boolit Buddy Snow ninja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    242
    Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    While I have never been hardcore on pre-destination, the sinner persons have now convinced me. Which brings me full-circle back to the opinion that unless this sub-forum is used to build-up, edify, and exhort The Saints, we are just throwing pearls to the swine. This sub-forum was intended as a non-denominational place for Christians to fellowship.


    Good luck with this hot mess. Last time I ever engage outside what this sub-forum should be discussing.
    It also says:
    2 Timothy 4:2

    Preach the word; be ready in season and out of season; reprove, rebuke, and exhort, with complete patience and teaching

    1 Peter 3:15

    But in your hearts honor Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and respect

    The only thing I've learned here, is that if you have a genuine question in your faith, you better not bring it here.
    Do the best you can, with what you've got, where you're at. -Theodore Roosevelt

  6. #46
    Banned

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    2,185
    Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    While I have never been hardcore on pre-destination, the sinner persons have now convinced me. Which brings me full-circle back to the opinion that unless this sub-forum is used to build-up, edify, and exhort The Saints, we are just throwing pearls to the swine. This sub-forum was intended as a non-denominational place for Christians to fellowship.

    Proverbs 9:8
    "Do not rebuke a mocker or he will hate you; rebuke a wise man, and he will love you."

    Matthew 7:6

    King James Bible
    "Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you."

    Good luck with this hot mess. Last time I ever engage outside what this sub-forum should be discussing.

    Matthew 10:14,15
    "And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear your words, when ye depart out of that house or city, shake off the dust of your feet…"
    id suggest you read the sticky by preacher jim. it goes something like this, chapel is for all to bring their needs. it doesnt say anywhere chapel is where we go to practice jmorts brand of christianity!

  7. #47
    DOR RED BEAR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    Posts
    2,157
    It's very simple as i see it. You believe or you don't. If you need something to justify your belief then your wasting your time.

  8. #48
    Boolit Mold
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    east of Eden
    Posts
    22
    If it Gives anyone Comfort to Believe then Believe. If you do not Believe and it gives you Comfort not to . Then do not. everyones opinion is not Important except Yours.
    I make no assumption and respects all individual opinion

  9. #49
    Boolit Master Traffer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    2,227
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkansas Paul View Post
    This is why I said in my very first post that I usually stay out of this part. I get it. If I was in a forum about Chevrolet trucks, I wouldn't like it if Ford guys trolled the forum with their "Chevy sucks" posts. You know people are out there that think that, but that's not the point of the discussion.

    I only joined in because that's the entire point of this thread.

    I do like that you at least call us pigs up front though. At least you're honest. Thank you for that.
    For what it's worth, I don't think you're a pig. You're probably a nice enough guy for the most part.
    I think that is what they call a "left handed compliment". Words said like a compliment that are actually condemnation. When I read this I thought "pigs?" who is calling people pigs. Then I read the reference and realized it is the old liberal trick of twisting the original content to make it sound evil. All I can say is "nice try."

  10. #50
    Boolit Buddy
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Central Arkansas
    Posts
    259
    Quote Originally Posted by Traffer View Post
    I think that is what they call a "left handed compliment". Words said like a compliment that are actually condemnation. When I read this I thought "pigs?" who is calling people pigs. Then I read the reference and realized it is the old liberal trick of twisting the original content to make it sound evil. All I can say is "nice try."
    In what language does the word "swine" mean anything other than pigs?
    He said that having a mere conversation with people who don't believe like him is casting his pearls before swine.
    I didn't say it friend, I just pointed it out.
    He referenced all who did not believe like him as swine.

    I'm far from a liberal, and there was no trick. I twisted nothing.

    As far as the compliment, believe it or not, while I admit it was a little intentionally snarky, I meant it.
    I live in the south, right in the middle of the Bible belt. It isn't easy believing like I do where I live. But they won't say anything to your face. I would much rather someone tell me what they think up front.
    Last edited by Arkansas Paul; 07-17-2019 at 11:53 PM.
    Life is a series of bullseyes and backstraps - Ted Nugent

  11. #51
    Boolit Master Traffer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    2,227
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkansas Paul View Post
    In what language does the word "swine" mean anything other than pigs?
    He said that having a mere conversation with people who don't believe like him is casting his pearls before swine.
    I didn't say it friend, I just pointed it out.
    He referenced all who did not believe like him as swine.

    I'm far from a liberal, and there was no trick. I twisted nothing.

    As far as the compliment, believe it or not, while I admit it was a little intentionally snarky, I meant it.
    I live in the south, right in the middle of the Bible belt. It isn't easy believing like I do where I live. But they won't say anything to your face. I would much rather someone tell me what they think up front.
    The passage "Do not cast your pearls before swine" has been debated ad infinitum.
    When you look at in context it is puzzling. The best interpretation I can come up with is "do not give what is precious in God's sight to YOUR OWN sinful nature."
    I can understand your disdain for the hypocrisy of many who are steeped in religion. It is a common pitfall for people who inject sinful pride into their religeous experience. A very sad thing indeed. Jesus said something about people giving HIM a bad name who do not practice what he actually taught. I have never been in the South. Lived in Wisconsin and Massachusetts. I live where there is a lot of backlash against the religious practices that are still prevalent in the South. The evil slanderous judging is just as bad on both sides. It is not because of Jesus or his teaching. It is due to the sinful nature. And that is well explained by him in especially the sermon on the mount. When wickedness is in a persons heart, whether they are a churchgoer or a communist, it will be ugly. But the bottom line is that God is good. If you seek him and not let people hinder you, you may find His refuge and joy. That is priceless and I hope it for you.

  12. #52
    Boolit Buddy
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Central Arkansas
    Posts
    259
    The evil slanderous judging is just as bad on both sides. It is not because of Jesus or his teaching.
    Agreed.
    Some of the best people I know are very religious. Some of the worst as well, but that's just because I know a lot of religious people.
    People are people. Most are good enough folks, and some aren't worth the gunpowder it would take to blow their hat off.
    It matters not whether they are religious, atheist, or something in between. At the end of the day, belief systems are made up of people.

    I don't blame religion for that.
    Life is a series of bullseyes and backstraps - Ted Nugent

  13. #53
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Kaneohe, HI
    Posts
    3,816
    I have learned, from the past, that religion, is a subject that is better NOT discussed among friends.

  14. #54
    Boolit Master pmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    East Central Minn.
    Posts
    1,398
    Quote Originally Posted by PowPow View Post
    I am curious. Your disbelief of the six "24 hour" days is for what reason(s)? Do you believe there are limits to God's power or do you just have a problem with the time units? Do you think it is possible that a day at the time of earth's creation was possibly a substantially different duration (all other things being constant) than today? Do you think it is possible/probable that each of those six days had a different duration as compared to today's day? "Bonus" question: Why do you think God revealed His creation to us in this manner?

    I'd be a liar if I told you that I haven't wrestled with these same questions at times in my life, given my analytical mind.
    I have had similar doubts as well. When I look back in my growth in faith I was using those moments to keep God at a distance from my heart. Not being all that sure what was right for me or thinking what are my friends going to think etc. I think it was my natural self or my sin nature trying to make a final stand against what the other part of myself knew what was right.
    This "battle" can take many forms because we all different. Because thinkers think, analyzers analyze and worriers worry. What's important at this point is God has you marked already, Satan doesn't want to another lose another one. People like this are on the fence not sure about what they might think is a commitment. They might even be several steps into their becoming a Christian.

    Doubt, fear our own intelligence working against us can all be used to keep any of us from doing the right thing. Not just accepting God but other things in life too.

    I had all of this bouncing around in my mind then I had a born again experience. Since then (spiritually) I've been pruned, challenged, felt not alone in prayer both for good and bad, and went back in my life to try and make things right. At many steps what I thought was correct wasn't. I was growing mentally and spiritually at the guidance of God. At this point faith isn't a question for me but I understand it is for many.

    If your wrestling with faith don't stop, keep asking questions, reading the bible. It's not the easy choice but you won't disappointed.
    Recent cast boolit hunts:
    2 does, 6.5 Creedmoor; Horn. 129 grain sp
    Adult buck, 458 SOCOM 405 grain WFN, Doe 36-225AG
    buck & doe, Accurate Molds 36-225AG Model 94AE

  15. #55
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    West Tennessee
    Posts
    1,212
    To the OP, I believe the Bible is a true accounting, inspired of God through men.

    I have friends who are not of the same beliefs as I and we discuss religion, Bible, and beliefs all the time. The only time problems arise is when I, or they, have to win a point. We may not see eye to eye, but we're looking in the same direction. I don't cast pearls twards the openly contemptuous, where we will both be wasting our time and breath, ( we aren't even looking in the same direction), but I do seek to be kind and respectful (treating others as I wish to be treated), and expect the same. In the end it's about faith, however, it's my contention that it takes the same amount of faith to believe in many things that are taught as settled science, as to believe the Bible.

  16. #56
    Boolit Man


    PowPow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    91
    Quote Originally Posted by pmer View Post
    ...

    I had all of this bouncing around in my mind then I had a born again experience. Since then (spiritually) I've been pruned, challenged, felt not alone in prayer both for good and bad, and went back in my life to try and make things right. At many steps what I thought was correct wasn't. I was growing mentally and spiritually at the guidance of God. At this point faith isn't a question for me but I understand it is for many.

    If your wrestling with faith don't stop, keep asking questions, reading the bible. It's not the easy choice but you won't disappointed.
    Wow, that pretty well describes my spiritual journey, but I also had help of many other Christians in my life either at work or my church.

    By the way, I failed to weigh in directly on the topic of this thread.

    I believe that the Bible is the infallible word of God. If that leaves any room for doubt, I'll add that I believe 100% of it is true. I believe that in the beginning God created all things visible and not visible in 6 days. I believe He revealed His creation to us in this way, because that is how He did it. I believe that God is holy, all powerful, infinite, immutable, and abundant in grace, mercy, and love. I will incorporate The Westminster Confession of Faith to describe the rest of my beliefs rather than state them here.
    SAF Patron (Life) | GOA (Life) | NRA Benefactor (Life) | MSRPA (Life)

  17. #57
    Boolit Master scattershot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    1,015
    Myth and superstition, based somewhat on real events. The creation story was made up of whole cloth.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"


    Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

  18. #58
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    South Western NC
    Posts
    1,988
    Quote Originally Posted by cainttype View Post
    ....So if it’s part “myth” and part actual testimony, where do YOU draw the line?
    Is Genesis just a story, or Exodus?... Is all of it true?

    Can you pick and choose pieces of text from a single book that support your point of view while dismissing those that seem contradictory, and how do you justify the right to do so?
    We can pick and choose ... but we do it at our peril.

    You raise questions no one can know so each of us must decide if we wish to follow the Bible or reject it. I know no more than anyone else about the six days of creation but I choose to accept it as true. Thing is, that and several other accounts have no impact on the core truths and purpose of the Bible; i.e., presenting Jesus as Lord.

    I do have one question for those who have chosen to hold blind faith in scientists rather than Christ.

    Consider, if space aliens had landed on earth on the morning of the seventh day and looked out how would earth have appeared? Would rushing mountain streams not been cutting through rocky bottoms between obviously "old" tree lined banks, would not the trees not have had old growth rings? Etc.

    I'm a Bible believer. It seems more reasonable to me to accept its accounts as stated than to assume creation burst from a marble sized ball hanging in empty space and everything else just happened to work its way to today. THAT taxes my sense of reason much more than does the Bible.

    Bottom line; if I'm wrong, I've lost nothing meaningful but if those who reject scripture are wrong they have lost everything meaningful!
    Last edited by 1hole; 07-18-2019 at 10:23 AM.

  19. #59
    Boolit Buddy
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Central Arkansas
    Posts
    259
    Quote Originally Posted by 1hole View Post
    I'm a Bible believer. It seems more reasonable to me to accept its accounts as stated than to assume creation burst from a marble sized ball hanging in empty space and everything else just happened to work its way to today. THAT taxes my sense of reason much more than does the Bible.
    I have a question for you, and other believers as well, and I think it is in the spirit of this thread.

    The Catholic church is a little more open minded to science than many other denominations, in fact it was a Catholic priest, Georges Lemaître, who was one of the first to theorize that the Universe was expanding (giving rise to the big bang theory), a prediction that was confirmed by the Hubble telescope.

    My point is that a lot of people can reconcile religion and science. If indeed the Genesis account of creation is accurate, which I know most here believe to be true, and God spoke the universe into existence, then something came from nothing, in this case from God's spoken word.
    If God spoke and all of the matter in the universe appeared where none was before, is it possible that the event did in fact mimic a big bang? Could the aftermath that we can observe via modern telescopes look like that?

    A lot of people believe in intelligent design, meaning they believe in science, they just believe that is the way God did it.

    Galileo was a scientist and a Catholic and he is famously quoted as saying, "The Bible tells us how to go to heaven. It doesn't tell us how the heavens go."
    He was a believer in Christ and salvation through him, he just didn't view the Bible as a science textbook.

    So, can you reconcile the two? Or do you all view it as believing one or the other?
    Life is a series of bullseyes and backstraps - Ted Nugent

  20. #60
    Banned



    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Color Me Gone
    Posts
    8,417

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Abbreviations used in Reloading

BP Bronze Point IMR Improved Military Rifle PTD Pointed
BR Bench Rest M Magnum RN Round Nose
BT Boat Tail PL Power-Lokt SP Soft Point
C Compressed Charge PR Primer SPCL Soft Point "Core-Lokt"
HP Hollow Point PSPCL Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt" C.O.L. Cartridge Overall Length
PSP Pointed Soft Point Spz Spitzer Point SBT Spitzer Boat Tail
LRN Lead Round Nose LWC Lead Wad Cutter LSWC Lead Semi Wad Cutter
GC Gas Check