Inline FabricationRepackboxLee PrecisionLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Wideners
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 18 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: The Bible.... Myth, Real, or Both?

Boolit Master

The Bible.... Myth, Real, or Both?

Myth, real, or both?.... If both, where do YOU draw that line?
    I’m always curious about people with a list of quotes to support their opinions on what it all means, but immediately resort to “that’s not real, but was written as a sort of example”, or “That’s just a story” when confronted with Biblical texts that are contrary to the point they are trying to make.

So if it’s part “myth” and part actual testimony, where do YOU draw the line?
    Is Genesis just a story, or Exodus?... Is all of it true?

Can you pick and choose pieces of text from a single book that support your point of view while dismissing those that seem contradictory, and how do you justify the right to do so?

Banned

For me, all of it is true
    As soon as you start with a lack of faith in the Word of God
    Your Bible gets smaller and smaller
    Each person gets to decide how much Bible they put their faith in
    100% to 0%
    My Bible is 100%
    For me, this book was a blessing and reaffirmed my Faith in the entire Bible

How We Got the Bible:
    Neil Lightfoot: 9780891121800: Amazon.com: Books
    how we got the bible lightfoot from www.amazon.com
    Travel through history, from Jerome to Tyndale and beyond, as Professor Lightfoot discusses the origin, transmission, and translation of the Bible. ... Concise and engaging, How We Got the Bible is a useful resource for anyone who wants to know the story behind the most widely read book of all time.

Boolit Master
    So The Garden of Eden, Adam and Eve, The Tower of Babble... all real and factual, and the stories are accurate (as well as everything that follows).
    Thanks, Jim, I can appreciate that.

Boolit Bub
    The way I see it is, you either have to believe it all or none of it. If it is infact the word of God, why would some parts not be true? So I believe it all.

USMC 77, USRA 79

i completely and whole hartedly know in my heart of hearts, it is true... if you really want to know more about it you can pm me, i will tell you.
    Last edited by Markopolo; 07-16-2019 at 12:38 PM.
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Master

i dont believe the bible is the word of god, it is written by men to influence men.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by cainttype View Post
    So The Garden of Eden, Adam and Eve, The Tower of Babble... all real and factual, and the stories are accurate (as well as everything that follows).
    Thanks, Jim, I can appreciate that.
    So you are just trolling the Christian members ?????
    BTW, who is "Jim" ?????
    Deep Theological Trolling sub-forum

Boolit Man
    A perfect example of what happens when one does not treat the Bible as 100% infallible is the Thomas Jefferson "bible". Thomas Jefferson felt that his way was better than God's way.
    SAF Patron (Life) | GOA (Life) | NRA Benefactor (Life) | MSRPA (Life)

Boolit Master

Question

Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    So you are just trolling the Christian members ?????
    BTW, who is "Jim" ?????
    Deep Theological Trolling sub-forum
    My apology... I thought “Jim” for some reason, probably interactions with a different member in the past.

Why would asking someone to clearly state their opinion on the validity of Biblical text be “trolling”?
    Since this sub-forum is for discussions on those texts, it only seems reasonable to try to understand why someone might hold the views they do... Is attempting to understand “trolling”?

I doubt anyone here has the “Christian” market cornered, and anyone that ever had intelligent discussions on Biblical text would be aware that there are different views held, and conclusions reached, by other Christians.

Boolit Grand Master
    I do not believe in the inerrancy of the Bible but still believe in God and most of what is in the Bible.

It makes it tougher is some ways and easier in others.

Cannot believe in 6-24hr days of Creation in Genesis. Too much of that does not add up.

Believe in the miracles and of course in Jesus and his time here on earth.

It is a document that has survived many centuries, translations from the original texts and the possible manipulation/interpretation of the men who wrote it. Hard for me to believe it is 100% accurate but it does not need to be to show us the path and to guide our lives.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

Troll in the chapel? Naaaw. Jude had something to say about cain types, 1:11
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    I do not believe in the inerrancy of the Bible but still believe in God and most of what is in the Bible.

It makes it tougher is some ways and easier in others.

Cannot believe in 6-24hr days of Creation in Genesis. Too much of that does not add up.

Believe in the miracles and of course in Jesus and his time here on earth.

It is a document that has survived many centuries, translations from the original texts and the possible manipulation/interpretation of the men who wrote it. Hard for me to believe it is 100% accurate but it does not need to be to show us the path and to guide our lives.
    I am curious. Your disbelief of the six "24 hour" days is for what reason(s)? Do you believe there are limits to God's power or do you just have a problem with the time units? Do you think it is possible that a day at the time of earth's creation was possibly a substantially different duration (all other things being constant) than today? Do you think it is possible/probable that each of those six days had a different duration as compared to today's day? "Bonus" question: Why do you think God revealed His creation to us in this manner?

I'd be a liar if I told you that I haven't wrestled with these same questions at times in my life, given my analytical mind.
    SAF Patron (Life) | GOA (Life) | NRA Benefactor (Life) | MSRPA (Life)

USMC 77, USRA 79

ok... i am outta this discussion. sounds like this is heading for the PIT
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Master
    It's all real it is the word of God
    when the dust settles and the smoke clears all that matters is I hear the words " well done my good and faithfully servant "

<(*)(()><

I think it's a good guide to live by with the "Love your neighbor" stuff. But I can't believe it is 100% spot on. Too much time and too many translations.
    Do the best you can, with what you've got, where you're at. -Theodore Roosevelt

I'm in. Its 100% real and true.
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JBinMN View Post
    Sun dials , according to current history knowledge, were not put into use until just before 160 to maybe 300 BC.

Before that it is a tossup on how folks told themselves the time, other than sunrise, sunset & maybe "high noon", or "high moon".

Who am I, or anyone else to question, without more info.

I saw recent evidence that people had good knowledge of astronomy and sailing ability's before the comet wipe 12,800 years ago, I think the ancients were a lot smarter than we think. and earth gets set back a lot more than we think.

When I was young I was full of doubts. "How could this be?" Water into wine, 3 small loaves and 5 fishes to feed a multitude with many baskets left over? Virgin Birth?

Now I have no doubts at all.

I had a grandmother who seriously studied the bible her whole life.
    Thelma I said one day, what can you say for sure about the Bible?

"It is a history of one people's belief in one God"

That's all?

That is all you can prove Thelma said. The rest must be taken on faith.

I have not found her wrong, and I have found many who agree with her.

In some respects I am not the Christian she was, in others, she is not the Christian I have been turning into.

I know she was afraid to die, afraid of what she would face. I do not believe that I am. Lord I serve at your pleasure, when you call me home I will be ready to go.

God Bless you Thelma and John Robert Cain wherever you are.

Boolit Master
    John 1:1-5.

exile
    "There is not a single instance in history in which civil liberty was lost, and religious liberty preserved entire. If therefore we yield up our temporal property, we at the same time deliver the conscience into bondage." --John Witherspoon, The Dominion of Providence Over the Passions of Men. 1776

"The words of the Lord are pure words, like silver refined in a furnace on the ground, purified seven times." Psalm 12:6 (E.S.V.)

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PowPow View Post
    I am curious. Your disbelief of the six "24 hour" days is for what reason(s)? Do you believe there are limits to God's power or do you just have a problem with the time units? Do you think it is possible that a day at the time of earth's creation was possibly a substantially different duration (all other things being constant) than today? Do you think it is possible/probable that each of those six days had a different duration as compared to today's day? "Bonus" question: Why do you think God revealed His creation to us in this manner?

I'd be a liar if I told you that I haven't wrestled with these same questions at times in my life, given my analytical mind.
    I believe there are limits to God’s power. Otherwise a loving Father (God) would remove lethal threats (Satan) from His children (mankind). God sacrificed His Son on our behalf so we may have our sins expunged. To me, it indicates God, at least then, and possibly currently is unable to defeat Satan. But, in time, that will happen...or so it is written.

Genesis “works” if the days are much longer periods of time. 24 hour days are unrealistic and not supported by our understanding of the universe, geology, genetics, and archeology.

God revealed creation in a manner that was understandable to man at the time. KISS. In essence, it is not important if creation took 6 days or 6 billion years...only that He was the Creator. Early man was not prepared to understand. It would have been like explaining how a child is born to a two year old. All the two year old needs to know is that mommy and daddy love each other made made them. It is not the whole story but close enough and serves the purpose.
    Don Verna

Page 1 of 18 1234567891011 ... LastLast