Inline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
RepackboxSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading

Thread: CSB-1 with Lyman 525 Sabot slug mold.

CSB-1 with Lyman 525 Sabot slug mold.

I So I have CSB-1 powder, just ordered a Lyman Sabot slug mold, anyone have a starting load for use in with combo? I have some grey Winchester hulls with AA 12 Claybuster wads and woul like to load these for plinking with my Remington 1100. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have some factory Federal Target Load Top Gun ammo and wonder if those will be good for reloading in the future.

Banned
    Greetings Tmaloy, Its good to hear what you are doing but you need to start by giving more information about your gun, barrel ( rifled or smooth bore )
    No need to buy expensive slug mold to cater to a certain powder.
    The Lyman 525 slug in wad is a great slug when other quality components are used with it you can achieve 4 to 5 inch groups through creative loading tech.
    So give more information about your barrel etc.

With Trap commander wad:

If you are using a smooth bore then you need to do this push through test backwards for safety:

I would not touch the Claybuster wad even with a 10 foot pole, ever ! !
    It great fun when you learn to cook your own loads !

Regards,
    Ajay K. Madan
    Super Blazing Sabots

Boolit Master

never heard of that powder used in shotgun loads.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Quote Originally Posted by SuperBlazingSabots View Post
    Greetings Tmaloy, Its good to hear what you are doing but you need to start by giving more information about your gun, barrel ( rifled or smooth bore )
    No need to buy expensive slug mold to cater to a certain powder.
    The Lyman 525 slug in wad is a great slug when other quality components are used with it you can achieve 4 to 5 inch groups through creative loading tech.
    So give more information about your barrel etc.

With Trap commander wad:

If you are using a smooth bore then you need to do this push through test backwards for safety:

I would not touch the Claybuster wad even with a 10 foot pole, ever ! !
    It great fun when you learn to cook your own loads !

Regards,
    Ajay K. Madan
    Super Blazing Sabots
    Thank you for the insights, my Remington 1100 is a smooth bore, originally with a 28" vent rib barrel, it was cut down to a 23" and rethreaded for Remington chokes. I have 3 Briley comp chokes for it. I was thinking I will get a rifled choke for it once I set it up for shooting sabot slugs. I am trying to use what components I have on hand since they have been sitting in the closet for years. Last shop I went to for powder, a pound of Blue Dot was going for $60. I still need to find out how much shot shell primers are going for, rifle and pistol primers run around $60 a 1000. I have about 300 Win 209 primers and a MEC Sizemaster press that I need to get a new primer tray since it corroded. Components are very hard to come by here. Powder alone, the shops try and get what they can, but it can be very hard to get a specific powder.

Banned
    Good morning Tmaloy, don't buy shotshell primers alone, get the Fiocci hulls on sale for $11.99 for 100 hulls with Fio. 616 primers
    https://www.ballisticproducts.com/Fi.../products/630/
    If you want Federal very best Federal hull then for $15.99 with Fed. 209A Hot Magnum primers.
    https://www.ballisticproducts.com/Fe...tinfo/0621275/
    Get Carlson extended rifled choke for slugs and sabots.

Hope it helps.
    Regards,
    Ajay

I received the mold and will be casting some of them this evening. I was looking around the net and found that the burning rate of CSB-1 is the equivalent of WSF. I looked in my Lyman 5th edition shotshell handbook and it calls for the WAA12F114 wad or the Federal 12S3 wad. I had no luck finding the 12S3 wad and only the Claybuster equivalent of the WAA12F114 wad. I hope to pick up some Blue Dot if the shop I visit still has the pound I saw there. The only wads I currently have are the Claybuster WAA12 white colored wads at the moment. I have the gray colored AA Winchester hulls and will use those for my slug loads.
    Any insights if I should pursue what I currently have to start?

In regards to primed hulls, that would be a big nay, as I live on Guam and the cost for Haz Mat would go through the roof.
    Last edited by Tmaloy; 08-13-2019 at 04:41 AM.

Boolit Master

I'm not sure about shipping to Guam, but shipping primed hulls here in the states, there is no HAZMAT charge.

Scott
    Scott

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.

Thanks to Obama and his ITAR policies, I may be an American citizen but not according to trade laws.

Boolit Master

The claybuster equivalent Winchester 1 1/4 wads do fine. Fill the bases of your slugs with hot glue and trim flush.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Banned

Friends don't let friends buy Claybusters
    Downrange is for friends

Quote Originally Posted by dsh1106 View Post
    I'm not sure about shipping to Guam, but shipping primed hulls here in the states, there is no HAZMAT charge.

Scott
    Unless you live in Alaska or Hawaii!!!
    Last edited by MusicMan; 08-13-2019 at 02:51 PM.

I'm hoarding my WAA12F114s for my 525 sabot loads. They are a just right fit in two of my shotguns. When I use them up I'll try the Downrange subs as suggested by jmort some time back. Gp

Quote Originally Posted by gpidaho View Post
    I'm hoarding my WAA12F114s for my 525 sabot loads. They are a just right fit in two of my shotguns. When I use them up I'll try the Downrange subs as suggested by jmort some time back. Gp
    Thanks for the tip I'll look up downrange products and see if they can ship them to me.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I tried the mold last night and was pretty satisfied with the cast. Also, my replacement MEC primer tray came in. Also found the Downrage wads on Graf and Sons. Still need to check the local gun shop for the Blue Dot powder. Hopefully I can get going on this soon.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190814_211103.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	59.8 KB 
ID:	246691
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190814_211130.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	44.5 KB 
ID:	246692

Banned
    Just watching a bunch of those Lyman 525 Slug in wad cast is sure a pretty sight for any loader.
    Wish you the very best, have fun.
    Ajay K. Madan
    Super Blazing Sabots