Titan ReloadingWidenersSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
RepackboxLee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad Data
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Uses for Hodgdon LevEvol

Boolit Buddy

Uses for Hodgdon LevEvol

Can i use LevEv in my Henry BBSteel 45 colt? I looked on the Hodgdon site and found no info. Thanks Bruce

Boolit Buddy
    Well, after i posted, i had an excelent idea. Why not just call Hodgdon....so i did Nope, LevEv is too slow burning.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for posting this response from Hodgdon. I had not yet thought about LevEv in the 45 Colt caliber but may have considered it at some time. Currently I am working up loads for a Winchester 94AE in 45 Colt. The shining load combo so far in this rifle has been the Lyman 452664 (WW alloy, AC) over 24.0 IMR4227. This load gave me the tightest groups of any boolit in a lever rifle I have ever found, and not a wimpy load at all. Today I will repeat this test pairing a 24.0 IMR4227 load against 26.0 H110, same boolit as before. This rifle will get to the woods this year, have plans for it to make venison soon.

Boolit Bub
    If you still have some LeverEv and wonder what to use it for it appears to be very similar to CFE223 from what I have seen. It does great with the heavy 75-77grn 223 loads and pushes them faster then most common powders without pressure signs. Similar to PP 2000 MR in regards to faster then normal velocity without pressure signs.

So I'd imagine anything CFE223 is good for the LeverEv would also have a good chance of being good for but sadly not for your 45.

Super Moderator

LVR is my powder of choice with cast boolit loads in the 30-30 Win. Top velocity with lower pressures, and about as accurate as you can get IMHO. I really like it a lot.

I would love to see if it would improve the 9.3x57, seems like a similar pressure/velocity round to those LVR was developed for.