MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Wideners

Thread: Explain how this works please

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately

Explain how this works please

This is described as a V. Schmidt reloading press and I have looked and looked and really can't figure out how it works. I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer by any means but usually I can figure things out, however, this has me stumped.
    Last edited by Pressman; 07-15-2019 at 06:14 PM. Reason: eBay link
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Banned

I really don't think it's a reloading press. Maybe some other kind of specialized tool. Whatever it is, it is getting bid up quickly.

Banned
    I apologize for removing the eBay link, the rules require it. But you can find it by searching for CV Schmidt Model 24.

This is the 2nd press design from Mr. Schmidt, the 1st is the Model 12 that is similar in design, though just half the size of the Model 24. Both presses use the same dies, and there are special, larger dies for the Model 24. Both 12 and 24 dies operate the same way. The 24 uses what Schmidt called "streetcar" operating handle. It is pulled from the left side and swings to the rear. The press has to be mounted horizontally on a sturdy bench. It is large, nearly 24 inches long and weighing about 30 pounds. It has an auto primer feed.
    The dies attach to a carrier with the pins on the front of the frame, They lift up to insert and removes the case. This press with the Model 24 dies could resize a small rifle case full length.

Schmidt also made a dedicated full length sizing press and a monster, tall press with yet different dies that was capable of full length resizing.

The Schmidt presses were covered some years ago in the Journal. Contact me via pm for back issues.

Ken

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    Pressman:

Thank you.

It must have been a VERY interesting and fun time in the infancy of reloading for some of these designs to see the light of day.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Banned
    Roysha, I think you are correct. I am working on an article about tool development in decade of 1920. That is when it all got started, moving past the little hand tools of the black powder era.

The Schmidt tools are from that time period.

As a side note I had seen once that CV Schmidt was sometimes referred to as Captain Schmidt. Turns out he was a Captain in the army during the Great War, only it was the Kaiser's army.
    He lived and worked in St. Paul, Minnesota.

Banned
    The first picture is a complete Model 24 with a Model 12 seat die installed. Not the best pictures, I need to retake them, someday.

The second picture is Mr. Schmidt's massive sizing press, the Model 17. This thing weighs 72 pounds.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Schmitt # 24 press-2 004.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	45.8 KB 
ID:	245289

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_MG_1721.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	18.2 KB 
ID:	245290

Super Moderator

That is some interesting history to say the least. I assume made of cast iron? Neat stuff.

Boolit Master
    Too bad that there appears to be few surviving Schmidt presses.
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by LUBEDUDE View Post
    Too bad that there appears to be few surviving Schmidt presses.
    ..............Probably because (IMHO) there probably weren't that many sold/made, as they're obviously expensive. We now live in a time where quite a large percentage of the population have at least a moderate amount of "Disposable" income. Up until the 1950's when the middle class (as we know it) actually began to have such a thing as "Extra Cash", money for the working stiff went for priority items. Also have to remember, money up until 1964 was actually WORTH SOMETHING .

..............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance