RotoMetals2Inline FabricationWidenersTitan Reloading
Load DataLee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Repackbox

Thread: Round Ball Patches

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska

Round Ball Patches

Does it make a difference if you patch round balls with square patches versus round ones?
    Thanks

No difference

Well, that depends ... are you shooting a rifle with a round bore or a square bore such as a Puckle Gun? (The Puckle Gun had the option to shoot square bullets at "non-Christians" ...)

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Quote Originally Posted by bosterr View Post
    No difference
    I've used pre-cut round, pre-cut square and cut-at-muzzle and found no difference in accuracy. I think getting the thickness and lube correct is more important.

Boolit Bub
    A story to illustrate what taco650 said:

I was just starting to shoot my Hawken .50 in competition.
    I was horrified when I couldn't hit a huge (we're talking refrigerator sized) cardboard at 100 yards.
    The short version is that the ball I was using was too small .490 and the patch was too thin. So I needed the ball up to .495 and doubled the thickness of the the patch.
    Instant success!

Boolit Master

If you are anal enough to cut the patches at the muzzle after seating the ball exactly the same depth in the muzzle every time shooting a match grade barrel seating the ball on the powder all from the same lot with the same amount of pressure every time you will see a difference. Leave out one step it dosent matter. Last weeks over the log match was won with a string of just over 2 inches for a 10 shot match at 60 yards with open sights, shaders allowed. IE devide 2 inches by 10 will give you the average distance from the x for each shot. Even where the forend rests on the chunk varies the point of impact. Closest to the x was 0.043 center of the ball to the center of the x. Yes we mesure every shot with calipers.
    Don't buy nuthing you can't take home

Joel 3:10

If you want to make your own round patch .What I did is take a hole saw and had my friend the gunsmith turn it down to make a knife edge on it and then put it on my take top drill press and use a oak block of wood and then use that to cut my round patch to what ever thickness I want and then just lube when to use.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Just make sure that the smallest patch dimension is no larger than 1-1/2 times the ball diameter.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Banned

as mentioned - round or square, doesn't much matter ... or maybe it does.

i prefer to either cut at the muzzle or use a ball board - either insures perfect patches. ball boards make for faster loading.

Boolit Master
    I've found that old pocket drill works the best for me. I use an ancient .440 T/C mold. I tried the T/C patches but they were just too tight, I almost couldn't seat the ball on the powder. But when my blue jeans wore out I'd cut the pockets from them and use that material for patches. Worked well. Really well.

Some I'd cut as I seated the ball with the short starter, some I'd cut with scissors and deep fry them in Crisco, bearing grease, Vaseline or whatever I thought would work. The shape didn't matter as long as the ball was secured.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post

Just make sure that the smallest patch dimension is no larger than 1-1/2 times the ball diameter.

Pietro
    Your theory doesnt compute for me - I probably misunderstood what you wrote ! "smallest dimension is no larger than 1-1/2 times ball diameter" does that mean a 50 cal ball uses a 3/4 inch patch ? I would lose patience with that very fast and not get good results on target either

heres mine ---45 cal = 1 1/4 inch diameter patch
    50 cal = 1 1/2 inch diameter patch
    54 cal = 1 3/4 inch diameter patch
    They may be a little generous but definitely not too big - small patches are very difficult to get centered correctly and if you dont have the ball encased in the patch material all way between ball and barrel you will get fliers in the group.

Easiest way to figure appropriate size is start a ball and cut the patch flush on the muzzle then pull that combo and measure your cut patch.

I like round patches - I reckon they easier to cut once you get a decent punch or drill press cutter, but some blokes use square cut patches - seems to work - main thing is too big (over top of the ball) or too small (ball sides exposed) will both bring you undone at some point.

Boolit Master
    I too made a Patch Cutter out of an old dulled worn out 1 1/2" Hole Saw.
    I just chucked it up in my drill after cutting the pilot drill bit off flush with the inside of the Hole Saw Cup.
    I just used a file as the hole saw spun in the drill press to file the old Saw Edge edge into a Knife Edge.
    Works great as long as you keep it sharp and don't spin it too fast.
    Otherwise it snags on the patch material.

Lately I’ve been using square patches for my .50’s. They’re cut about 1.5x1.5 and seem to be fine. I do trim the excess if there is any but not always

Boolit Master
    The Patch Knife I made out of an old Broken Kitchen Knife and a section of Elk antler , cuts the patches off very clean at the muzzle.
    I made a scabbard sewn to the front of my possibles bag for easy access.
    After I shaped the knife blade, I heat treated it to a nice Golden Color and Quenched it.
    It takes an edge very nicely, and holds the edge very well.
    My wife Compares it to her German Straight Razors she had from when she was a barber for 20 years.
    And Yes, I can shave with my patch knife.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    I use squares, usually cut from old blue jeans (50 cents a pair on Tuesdays at the Thrift Store)
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.