WidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackboxLee Precision
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prilosec

Boolit Master

Prilosec

Does anyone beside me use it? I depend on it to keep heartburn in check and it works but I do have a concern. It cautions about using it more than 14 days. I asked the druggist why and she said it could cause your bones to become weaker and more brittle if used over an extended period of time. What do you think? Is it worth it or should I stop using it and go back to baking soda and water?
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

The wife uses it on occasion with no ill effects.
    Like so many other things, its not surprising to learn over/long term use can cause problems.

If ya have heartburn that regular, you might check into the cause, if its diet related or something else.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

I use the generic for it. I find that if I take it every day then after awhile I have a hard time digesting things. I one take it every other day, 3 days a week and have no problem with heartburn. My wife takes the Prilosec and her doctor told her to use it when she has a flare up but to switch to the over the counter Ratatin after she gets it under control. He told her the same thing about it being bad for the bones.

Boolit Buddy
    I have been using it since the mid 90s. I have just learned that I have ostioporosis and kidney damage from it. I have to take it but have started cutting the tablets in half and cut out any foods that cause me reflux. If you can get by without it,I suggest you do.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by daloper View Post
    I use the generic for it. I find that if I take it every day then after awhile I have a hard time digesting things. I one take it every other day, 3 days a week and have no problem with heartburn. My wife takes the Prilosec and her doctor told her to use it when she has a flare up but to switch to the over the counter Ratatin after she gets it under control. He told her the same thing about it being bad for the bones.
    Thanks guys. I have never heard of Ratatin. I will check into it.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    I've been taking 40mg twice a day for reflux since '96 and have had no problems from it. It keeps the burn away, that's for sure.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Grand Master

No stomach acid means poor absorption of many micronutrients and vitamins including but not limited to magnesium, B12, Vit D, etc. Every medication has side effects and adverse reactions.

I think Daloper may be referring to ranitidine or the generic Zantac.

If I go a day without I pay. I wish I could get that monkey off my back.
    Been using for 25 years.

Boolit Master
    I've been using Protonix for many many years with no problems that I know of. I couldn't tolerate Prilosec or Zantac.

Boolit Master
    At it’s worst I occasionally resort to a dose or two of Zantac but my preferred treatment is to slice half an apple and eat it raw (it’s the pectin) if I have trouble at night. If it happens otherwise I would eat the whole apple.

Eating early enough to reduce stomach contents prior to going to bed and watching what you eat also is more important.

My most important product is redox signaler ASEA for my reflux issues however.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Master
    I was on it for many years straight with no side effects. You should try to avoid the things that give you heart burn.
    Don’t eat or drink 3-4hrs before bed time. Water ok, no sweet,no alcohol,no beer.
    Sleep slightly elevated.
    Baking soda bad for blood pressure.
    To much reflux can cause Esophageal cancer.

Mike

Boolit Master
    Been suffering from GERD for most of my life. Been taking proton pump inhibitors for the last thirty years. Tried them all. Prilosec, Prevacid, Aciphex and Nexium. Insurance (BCBS) use to pay..........not since they became OTC. Doses are half strength, since they became OTC. I use to take the prescription strength, twice a day. Currently, down to one per day. Occasionally, twice a day if having issues. No ill effects, just turned 68 years old.

Also take 300 mg of Ranitidine, just before bedtime. It's industrial/prescription strength Zantac. My insurance pays, I get 90 day supply at Walmart Pharmacy for @ $4 total...........much cheaper and stronger than OTC Zantac.

Triggers are almost everything one eats and some supposedly good for you.............chocolate, coffee, citrus fruit, peanut butter, carbonated beverages, spicy foods, fried foods, red sauces and anything with tomatoes. All forms of alcohol are a no-no.

Winelover
    Last edited by winelover; 07-16-2019 at 06:56 AM. Reason: grammar

Boolit Buddy

When my stress level went down no more acid indigestion. Took a long time to learn that lesson.

I have been on protonix or generic off and on for the last 5 years. Suddenly stomach starts producing acid like crazy, gut gets irritated and I get diarrhoea that burns like lava coming out. I cut it down as much as I can as quickly as I can. I have been on 2 a week since Christmas. Just tried to go down to one a week and it is instant diarrhoea for 3 days.

The Protonix and the generic work for me with no side effects. And I have learned that if I start burping it means it is having trouble disolving something. A swallow of pickle juice always seems to clear it. I could probably do the same with straight vinegar, but it isn't the same.

Boolit Grand Master

Several years ago my Chiropractor was working on my back when I mentioned GERD. He said "I can take care of that". I was skeptical so he pushed a particular place in the middle of my back - immediate GERD!

Some of you guys might want to check this out.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Banned

I was taking the OTC Nexium daily and it works. Prior to that, I drank a couple of tablespoons of apple cider vinegar in a glass of water daily and it seems to help too.

A few months ago, I heard about some health benefits of taking coconut oil daily, so started taking a big tablespoon of that first thing in the morning. One thing I read was that it stimulates growth of the good bacteria in your gut like some foods are supposed to do and I have to admit, I'm down to only needing the Nexium every once in a while.

I don't like taking meds and try hard to avoid it. That's getting hard to do as I get older, but I'd like to stay off daily drugs as long and as much as I can.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    My wife uses it once in a while and my mother-in-law did as well before she passed. The suggestion to take a look at your diet is a good one. My wife tried over time, through the process of elimination and "trying" as well, and she found that she can't tolerate the acidity in tomatoes or tomato products - pizza sauce, salsa, etc. Not that we eat a lot of pizza but on the rare occasion we do, we usually have the option between tomato sauce or a white sauce - we take the white sauce. Too much coffee as well . . . . she limits her intake of it now . . me? I still have to have coffee and usually have a couple of cups in the morning and one or two throughout the day . . . but I'm working on eliminate the afternoon coffee in favor of just drinking more water to keep hydrated. Moral of story . . . if you have heartburn that frequent, you might be able to eliminate certain foods that cause it and thus not have to take the meds so much that have the questionable side effects.

Boolit Master
    For immediate relief of heart burn I chew a 4 or 5 inch piece of raw celery.
    R.D.M.

Boolit Master
    What a horrible thought, giving up pizza and God forbid, Mexican food. There has got to be a better way.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by GOPHER SLAYER View Post
    What a horrible thought, giving up pizza and God forbid, Mexican food. There has got to be a better way.
    No kidding. Give up a pot of coffee and day, chocolate, spicy food, bourbon? You've got to be kidding! A life well lived carries some risk!
    Duke

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast