Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationLoad DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Repackbox

Thread: Loose barrel on a S&W 10

Boolit Master

Loose barrel on a S&W 10

A few months ago I bought a few used and much abused guns from a retired police officer. One gun, a S&W model 10 was such a boat anchor that it was thrown into the deal as a freebie. Took off the grips & threw it into a bucket of kerosene and let it soak for a week. After much elbow grease, it actually cleaned up somewhat nicely. The bore & cylinder are in excellent condition, as well as the insides. So this gun was shot little but lived a horrible life. Went to shoot it and impact was way off. Front sight leaned way to the left. So by chance I grabbed the barrel and gave it a hard twist, and lo & behold, it turned. I made a washer out of some brass shimstock to go between the barrel & frame. Tightened it in very small increments & shot it, and repeated that until it zeroed to point of impact. Cylinder gap increased to .008, still acceptable. Turns out this old revolver is one hell of a good shooter! And I don't have to worry about scratching it. Good field gun.

Pretty hard to completely mess up a K frame Smith. I recently bought a couple of stainless police turn ins, really enjoying them. First a 64 in .38Spl., followed by a 65 .357, both great, accurate guns. Will probably put the 64 up for sale here soon.

Boolit Grand Master
    Very nice outcome. The majority of the M&P-series/Model 10s (pre-1980) were equipped with "pinned" barrels. Has your revolver's pin become dislodged? Most of these revolvers were sighted for 158 grain standard-pressure RN loads.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master

This revolver is a 10-8. No pin. However, there was a flat on the threaded shank where a pin would have crossed. Maybe an older left over barrel when this gun was assembled??? Or maybe somebody in it's past life messed with it. Have no idea when it was made. SN is 9D38xxx.

Boolit Buddy
    All 10-8s had a pinned barrel. I'd get that barrel properly pinned in lieu of the "Irish Engineering" that is currently on the gun.
    Colt's Manufacturing Company Armorer Instructor
    Aimpoint USA L/E Pro Staff
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Boolit Master

No sign of a pin hole on this revolver.

Boolit Master

I suspect your revolver got re-barreled at some point, with a take-off barrel from an older Model 10. Lots of room for speculating on the events that led up to that.
    Remember: Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    All 10-8s had a pinned barrel. I'd get that barrel properly pinned in lieu of the "Irish Engineering" that is currently on the gun.
    I think there are a good number (maybe the majority of examples) 10-8 that will not be pinned. S&w did not offer a - (dash) change for dropping the pin. Which is weird, because they had previously done so for much smaller engineering changes.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of a 10-7 I've seen that wasn't pinned...even though they ran concurrently with 10-8s. Never really looked for one specifically though.

Barrels with threads milled for a pin seem to run far into the unpinned era. There was a long running thread on the s&w forum about this topic. I think there were 10-9's (which started in '89 I think) that have the milled slot. Though there was some conjecture that these might have been replacement barrels used for warranty work.

Bottom line is...s&w is weird. Lots of transitional models. Lots of exceptions. Lotd of special orders. Makes it fun though.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I expect that this was was rebarrelled somewhere other than at the factory. The shim, done correctly, makes a serviceable repair if the barrel is not over-torqued so as to induce a thread choke. If the barrel comes loose again, recommend light application of 242 Locktite to the thread when reassembled.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.