Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLoad DataReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2RepackboxInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Wideners

Thread: SAECO Lubrisizer Concentricity

Boolit Mold

SAECO Lubrisizer Concentricity

Hello,

Used my used saeco lubrisizer for first time yesterday to size, lube and seat gas checks for NOE 360-294 (360009) and corresponding nose punch. Noticed it is not sizing concentrically. Forward band below nose is getting wiped on one side more than other. Any suggestions for tuning things up? Or how will the accuracy be if I load and go shoot?

Thanks,
    Brent

Boolit Mold
    When I was home for lunch I took the die out and cleaned the die seat and bottom of the top die flange and maybe it's in my mind but it seemed to help a little bit. Is there always going to be a little bit of eccentricity to how it sizes one side or the other?

Boolit Mold
    I feel like I'm talking to myself...but for the edification of anyone interested, here is the very prompt response I got from a Redding employee...

Me:
    Hello,

I have been lubrisizing and installing gas checks on some 280 gr
    bullets with a .359 die. Im using a lyman #2 alloy equivalent. Its an
    NOE mold 36009 (old lyman 358009 equivalent). I purchased top punch
    from NOE with the mold. The saeco seems to be sizing them somewhat
    eccentrically, meaning i notice more "wiping" of the lead on one side
    of the front band toward nose of the bullet than the other side. All
    around the bullet is shiny and swaged and getting sized, but it just
    seems like one side is a little more sized than other. Is this normal?
    Anythng im doing wrong? Also, could you email me a printable copy of
    manual? Im using saeco green lube and having to slightly advance
    handle each bullet. Does this lube need a little heat to work
    properly? Im reading where guys can lubrisize 15-20 bullets wihout
    touching then handle and that doesnt work for me.

Thank you,

Brent

Him:
    Brent,

It is fairly common with some moulds. If the alloy fills that cavity for whatever reason slightly more than other areas you will see this. On a cast bullet does the band show slightly more diameter one way or another when using micrometers. It usually is just a few .0001” of an inch but it looks like a lot more. After sizing does it read the same diameter all around? If so then it’s a high spot in the cast.

I have run a heater with the LubriSizer but it is not generally needed unless running a hard lube. With the handle having spring pressure, turn it down until it gets a good fill on bullet and give it 2-3 or so more turns down. The spring keeps constant pressure against the lube and will need a slight turn (1/4 or so) every 15 or 20 bullets. Some bullets require more as they have more or bigger lube grooves.

Boolit Master

That is the nice thing about talking to Redding. They know their equipment. That can't be said for the Lyman CS rep I dealt with recently. Friendly, but got the idea she'd never reloaded or casted anything before.

Boolit Master

Hi Brent. I don't recall ever chatting with you before. I notice you have a low post count on cast boolits, but your question is hardly one from a newbie. It sounds like you have helped your problem by doing some cleaning on your lube/sizer. Makes me think I should take a look at mine. I do think it would be interesting if you mic the as cast boolit at two or three spots on your 3589 boolit to see if it is out of round from the mould or perhaps made that way in the sizing process. My Lyman is really old as it is a 3589. I really like the 35 Whelen and that particular boolit. I have used it to take a couple of our whitetail around here and a nice black bear in eastern Canada. It is a real thumper. enjoy it and good casting to you.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."