Thread: Rossi 357 lever vs new marlin 1894

Banned

I have two Rossi 92s
    Both have been tuned by the top gun smiths for 92s
    Jim Bowie of the Cowboys and Indians Store and
    Nate Kiowa Jones of Steve's Gunzs
    Strongest action and slick actions if they are tuned
    Since you did not mention playing cowboy games
    A Marlin makes sense. Faster than the 92, but weaker action.
    Not a fast action, but respectable.
    I wanted strength.
    Steve's Gunz's sells parts and DVD for tuning the Rosdi 92s
    It will take many months to get one tuned by him
    I just waited
    If you want speed a tuned Urberti1873 with a short stroke kit is the way to go and will cost you $1,500 plus. Those are crazy smooth/fast
    The Winchesters are good to go out of the box but are pricey

Owned a Rossi in .357 and sold it. Have had a few Remlins in .44 mag. Sold those.
    Was looking for another .357 lever gun recently to go with my Smith 686 plus and the darn jerk at the gun store showed me a Marlin 1894 CSBL... It went home with me.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img-4305.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	34.8 KB 
ID:	246036

Smooooooth out of the box. Very accurate and as I discovered today... will even feed .38 full wadcutters (Lee 358-148) as if they were round nose. I'm a fan of short barrels, so this at 16.5 was perfect. You get what you pay for, and sometimes you get less. In this case, it was worth every penny.

My NOE 360-172 is too long in .357 brass (won't get out of the tube all the way and onto the carrier because of the length), but perfect in 38.

Was going to put a scope or red dot on it but found I could still easily hit "stuff" with my old eyes and the peep sights on it.

Nice looking pair, hogokansatsukan.
    I'd like to find a stainless Marlin (or Rossi) to go with my Smith 686.

Boolit Grand Master
    Have an older pre-safety Rossi 24" bbl gun and a recent Marlin. The Marlin is lighter and the durn thing even feeds full wadcutters. I like the Rossi, but it can be problematic on feeding. Sometimes a little "juggle" on the lever is needed to feed. I like the longer barrel on the Rossi (wish Marlin had put a 20" tube on the 357) and was hesitant on getting the Marlin because of the shorter barrel (18.5"). MIght end up selling the Rossi and getting a '73 as I like the pistol grip and can get a 24" tube.

Boolit Buddy
    For me the fit and heft matters a lot. The henry's (not mentioned in the thread title but a relevant option) feel too heavy for as short as they are. The short rossi's feel like toys to me. But the Rossi 92 with a 24" barrel? Man that just FITS me. It's not light but it feels right. Points naturally. And since Rossi is the only one that makes a 24" barrel for less than a grand that kind of makes my choice for me.

I'll probably wind up getting the steve gunz dvd, and a set of jeweler's files to do the work. Play around with loads and add a strap. But it feels right. YMMV.
    "There are no solutions there are only tradeoffs" ~ Thomas Sowell

Boolit Bub
    What type of rifling does the CBSL have? I've looked all over Marlin's site and can't find any info.

Thnaks, John

Boolit Master

All the “Cowboy” rifles had Ballard (conventional) rifling.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Buddy
    I went into the gunshop today and bought the marlin. It looks pretty nice and is not as nice as the old ones but it is what it is.
    I will shoot it next week and give a report. I like to buy American when I can...…………….Curdog

Banned
    I'm looking forward to your review.

Steve in N CA

Boolit Master

I've got a Marlin 94 cs that I bought last year, it has conventional rifling and I love it. I shoot Lee 358-158 in it mostly, but I've got an LBT 180 gr load it loves too.

Boolit Buddy
    I took the marlin to the range today. I shot 50 rounds of 357 mag 360640 lubed with bac and a healthy dose of 2400 powder. I also shot some 38 specials 158 gr swc with some bullseye.
    The rifle shot everything well and at 50 yards I had about a coffee cup size group with the 357 mags. I had no malfunctions at all everything fed and cycled as they should. I think it will serve the purpose of a walking around the woods rifle and shoots as good as my 64 year old eyes can see with the factory irons. I am happy with it and would buy it again. Life is good...…………………..Curdog

To me there is no question here. The Marlin wins simply because you CAN mount a good sight, scope, or dot on it. That open top of the 92 means a weird side mounted sight or a forward mount.
    Add to this the fact that I've never found a Rossi that didn't have at least one problem that couldn't be solved by some kitchen table gunsmith. All the BS workarounds I see guys go through. Some don't like 357 mag brass. Some don't like 38. Some need an OAL to be in a narrow range. Barrel quality all over the place. And never any pride in owning it. After you've spent as much money making it shoot as well as a Marlin or Henry would off the shelf you'll still have a knock off Winchester made in Brazil...it's street price will be the same or lower.

As to all of the strength nonsense. The Marlins and Henry's have long demonstrated they are strong enough for the cartridges they are chambered for. You won't wear them out, especially a 357. So any supposed strength advantage to the 92 is MOOT. Unless you go off book or are some wildcatter it's of no consequence. If you want a lever gun with real power go buy a Browning BLR. That's not what the pistol caliber guns are all about IMO.

I purchased a Remlin 1894c 357 about six months ago and put it through its paces. It outclasses every pistol caliber lever gun I've had contact with in my opinion. Better than my old Marlins (supposed pre safety golden years models) better than any Brazilian piece which my friend has about a dozen of not one of which works any better, and even better than my father in law's Henry cowboy edition with the heavy barrel. It's more accurate, just as smooth, feeds everything well so far (haven't tried any wadcutters), and I can actually hit what I am aiming for with the little 2.5x Leopold on it. I did almost as well with my in law's Skinner sight on the Henry until the aperture started to back out (so much for irons being more "durable").
    I am not into pretending I'm a fake cowboy where aesthetics matter more than function. I hunt with my 1894 and demand that it works well.
    Last edited by curioushooter; 08-09-2019 at 08:58 PM.

I decided my old eyes needed help... and why let that rail go to waste?

Name:	img-4407.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	78.8 KB 
ID:	246556

Name:	img-4408.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	72.9 KB 
ID:	246557

NOE 360-182 WFN, CP, and HP after being powder coated. Gas checked and pushed with 16.9 grains of 300MP.
    They weigh in at 180, 176, and 167 grains respectively, and chronoed at an average of 1805, 1822, and 1829, again respectively.

Name:	img-4406.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	136.3 KB 
ID:	246559

50 yard group with the HP. Impact doesn't seem to change between the 3. Shot leaning against the Jeep with a lot of coffee and nicotine in my system. I'll take it.

Name:	img-4403.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	45.0 KB 
ID:	246560

I'm so impressed with this new Remlin, I just ordered an 1895 GBL in 45-70... because I hate my shoulder.

I think you made the right choice curdog.

Boolit Master
    Nice gun and boolits ! I like um all.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by texas by god View Post
    save a little more money and get a uberti winchester 73 copy. Those are nice.

Sent from my samsung-sm-g930a using tapatalk
    this^^^^^^^
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Master
    Got a 45-70 slb at a show last year put a Nikon shotgun scope on it ,deburred reciver at loading gate as it bit me .shoots great feeds great feels nice .almost like it more than my win 94 ,almost.

Boolit Buddy
    I was out shooting sharps rifles with some friends yesterday evening and I took the little marlin 357 mag with me. I was ringing the gong at 100 yards with the marlin using 360640 and 2400 powder and having a ball. The little rifle is working out just fine...…………………..curdog

I've had both a Marlin 1894 & a Rossi Model 92, and the differences I've found are:

* The Marlin is waaay more easily scoped and/or have a peepsight added than the Rossi.

* The Marlin is also waaay more expensive to buy than the Rossi.

* The Marlin is usually smooth operation right out of the box; most Rossi are likewise smooth - but any that are not smooth operating are fairly easy to correct.

For me, there are only two things I would consider: price and the ability to easily mount a scope.

YMMV, of course...….

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Rossis are hardly any cheaper if you compare similar trim levels. If you can find a Rossi wearing walnut it costs about the same. If you go buy one with trashy wood and go buy good furniture for it you will have spent the same money AND had to through the hastle of fitting it.

Rossis are hardly any cheaper if you compare similar trim levels. If you can find a Rossi wearing walnut it costs about the same. If you go buy one with trashy wood and go buy good furniture for it you will have spent the same money AND had to through the hastle of fitting it. I bought a Remlim new with warranty for $632. Street prices for used Rossis are in that vicinity. I never bough a used Marlin for more than $450. But those lousy center fire microgroove barrels...I sold every one after years of proving to myself that paper patching was the only way to go. Do yourself a favor and get a new marlin or Henry (I am anticipating a steel side gate one in my future).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast