Titan ReloadingWidenersRepackboxLoad Data
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Magnums and aging wrists

Magnums and aging wrists

Took a 4 5/8" SBH to the range and ran about 30 full snort loads through it. Wrist on shooting hand was and is complaining some today. I have shot a pile of full snort magnums over the past 30 years with no issues. Should I be looking for a wrist brace of some kind? Life without full house .44's would just suck.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master

Not a coin toss for me 7gr / 8gr of Unique is all I need now
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Yep, I'm done with that stuff now. The time I met Gary Reeder at the SHOT show with a cast on his wrist from shooting heavy handguns convinced me.

Boolit Grand Master

I’m probably your junior at 38 yo and find that box after box of full house magnum be it, 41, 44, 45 Colt, 480 Ruger is no longer pleasant and I have toned down most of my leadings. I keep full tilt stuff around and use it but I’ve noticed that it doesn’t take full tilt to harvest stuff in GA and for targets, they don’t notice either. Sounds like ole Arther has snuck up on ya buddy.

A good leather shooting glove will help some but the only way around it is to tone down the loads.

I have only one gun tuned for heavy magnum loads. A Ruger SBH and it's been sighted that way since 1964, it's my main deer pistol. It shoots good with the load and is only revolver I shoot jacketed bullets in. I have a lot of S&Ws and only have one 25-5 loaded for standard 250gr RNFP at standard velocity. I figured out a long time ago that unless you have use or cause for magnum loads it's a waste of powder & lead.

Boolit Master
    8.5 grains of unique under a 200 grain bullet is plenty enough snort for my .45 Colt. I'm 68 years old, and all of my joints are complaining.

I started taking Glucosamine chondroitan for my knees and found it helped the pain in my wrists from recoil as well. Took about 4-5 weeks to kick in.

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    I started taking Glucosamine chondroitan for my knees and found it helped the pain in my wrists from recoil as well. Took about 4-5 weeks to kick in.
    Been taking that for a few years now.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Grand Master
    I believe John Taffin commented on this years back. He regretted it. Those heavy loads damage your wrists eventually.

Not sure if a brace will help much but dialing them down would be wise if you shoot a lot. Better to shoot longer into life than cause permanent damage.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    I believe John Taffin commented on this years back. He regretted it. Those heavy loads damage your wrists eventually.

Not sure if a brace will help much but dialing them down would be wise if you shoot a lot. Better to shoot longer into life than cause permanent damage.
    That's been my philosophy for the past 40 years shooting the .44 mag. I'm 78, and my wrists are fine, but I no longer shoot full snort loads as much as I used to. I find that I really enjoy a 200 to 225g boolit at around 1000fps.
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

I have been experimenting with finding loads using Red Dot for my .44 Mag.SRH and my Ruger .480 Not as young as I use to be. Also found that the hot rod loads blow through my back stop and make it hard to recover lead for recasting.

Boolit Master
    I too turned my back on macho handgun loads back during the Reagan administration. Pain does not equate to fun for me. The trail of satisfying paper targets and dead small/medium sized critters I've left behind me for nigh on 40 years is testimony to the fact that nasty recoil isn't a prerequisite for effectiveness. At the tender age of 66 I'm glad to have learned at least a couple lessons in life, this being one of them.

I have more fun shooting light sub 200gr loads in my .44mag than full power loads. I am lucky to have arm and hand strength above average but I still don't care to shoot more than 50 or so .44mag full loads per range trip.

Yep, getting older makes some activities more painful . I let the grandsons shoot the heavy stuff and I stick with the mid range.

I lost the feeling in two fingers of my right hand, from shooting a coffee can full of 300 grain bullets and a stout load of WW296 from a Dan Wesson and SBH. I bought a kevlar shooting glove and it helped, a bit. I came to the conclusion, that if I needed body armor, I'm shooting too much gun. Thinking back on it, I should have put a scope on my handgun, the additional weight would have calmed the recoil down. It took over a year for the tingling and numbness to go away. I won't be doing that again...
    Last edited by gnostic; 07-15-2019 at 12:48 PM.

Time for ugly Hogues or Pachmayrs sounds like! I loaded 50 .41 magnum 210gr XTP with max load of LilGun 6 years ago. I killed a buck with one, grouped a few, and the rest just sit there while I shoot lead around 1000fps. If I need anything bigger, out comes a rifle.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Yup, been shooting 41's for decades now and love them... but I find that the best are with 2400 now as they really do not hurt. I still shoot a few full house from time to time just to remind myself what my hunting loads feel like.

Anything with black hawk in the name makes my hands cringe. I just can't shoot those, will stick to my normal S&W grip angle and shape as well.

[QUOTE=Texas by God;4687402]Time for ugly Hogues or Pachmayrs sounds like! I loaded 50 .41 magnum 210gr XTP with max load of LilGun 6 years ago. I killed a buck with one, grouped a few, and the rest just sit there while I shoot lead around 1000fps. If I need anything bigger, out comes a rifle.

The SBH had Hogues on it.

My SRH has Hogues already also.

Boolit Buddy
    I keep a couple of boxes of 41 full throttle 170 and 210 grain jhps loaded up for very occasional shooting most of which is through my Henry lever now. When someone at the range wants to see what its like I let them drop the hammer on a couple of full throttle rounds out of the Redhawk or Blackhawk. But 99%+ of my 41 shooting is 8 gr of unique under anything cast, such a sweet load that's easy on both the shooter and gun.

I am only in my 50's but have recently become sensitive to extended range sessions even with my 45acp's to the point I just picked up P320 M17 and I'm really liking it so far.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast