RotoMetals2RepackboxSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Reloading EverythingWidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Titan Reloading

Thread: Anybody ever recover a 22lr HP boolit after used on game?

Anybody ever recover a 22lr HP boolit after used on game?

Anybody ever recover a 22lr HP boolit after used on game?
    The only one I ever recovered was a Remington Golden Bullet 40 grain hollow point I fired into a squirrel the long way. After passing through the squirrel's head and body cavity, it came to a stop just before it would have broken one of the hind legs.
    It was perfectly mushroomed and fully intact with no lead loss at all. This would have been around 20 years ago.
    I have used 22lr hollow points on squirrels for over 40 years. I never got one to stop inside a squirrel until that one and none since. I have used just about every manufacturer available with good performance over the years. Small entrance hole and a large exit hole.
    I had some problems with solid points not getting the job done due to the bullet being placed a quarter inch or so off where I wanted it and just poking a 22 caliber hole through without killing the animal. Hollow points put the animals down with authority.

Boolit Master
    I have one that occurred nearly the same as yours. A CCI subsonic HP entered just above the nose, traveled thru head, neck and body cavity. Found it under the skin at the ankle joint. Only an entrance hole, found it when cleaning. I had assumed it was inside the body cavity as it had destroyed the neck none. Opened up and still gave plenty of penetration. Shot was probably 40 yards, squirrel was on a limb looking right at me, never twitched at the shot. Just slid off the limb like liquid.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Nope, many many years of hunting squirrels. My prefered load for them was CCI hollow points.

Even in Jackrabbits at long range (155 long paces) no bullet. Small entrance, large exit, instant dead rabbit.

Boolit Master

No I haven’t but have made some other recoveries that surprised me, like a 7mm Remington mag 135 grain corelokt in a large groundhog. The size of critters I use 22lr on it seems I always gothrough and through. As a boy I remember watching my Great grandpa and great uncle Henry put down several beef cows with a 22 rifle, I bet most stopped inside the head but I never saw one.

I recovered two from the same large raccoon that my daughter shot. Other than that, no. One was mushroomed, one was banana shape- it hit bone I guess.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I recovered one from the neck of a buck I harvested. There was a lump in the neck, and since I shot it in the heart, I went looking to what it was. It was a poacher's .22 LR bullet, in an almost prestine condition. I could not make out entry point, as it was well healed, but it must of been in the neck somewhere.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Master

A few 22 shorts in squirrels and a 45 round ball in a squirrel. The round ball blew it 15 feet away from the tree. And was to tough to eat
    Don't buy nuthing you can't take home

Joel 3:10

Can't say I recovered a HP out of a squirrel but quite a few out of groundhogs. They ranges from perfect mushroom to no expansion at all. The only Ghogs I clean are young ones to eat. They are fairly tough animals and the full grown ones can soak up a lot of lead. With 22 you need to head shoot the big ones or they will get in the hole.

Boolit Master
    Drm50, try a 223 on groundhogs. I have stppped using the 22 rimfire on them.

Boolit Master
    Like DRM 50, I have recovered a good number of CCI mini mag HP's and Winchester Super X and Power points from the neck, head and chest of ground hogs, usually young ones that we were going to eat, never bothered doing autopsy's on any of the old tough ones. My grandmother raised 12 kids during the hard times of the 30's and 40's and she said many was the time, if one of the boys hadn't killed a ground hog or a raccoon, their would have been some slim pickins at the table. She would parboil or pressure cook them, then brown them in flour in cast iron skillet, then into a roaster with carrots, potatoes, and onions, and make some gravy to go along with them. It would melt in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by koger View Post
    Like DRM 50, I have recovered a good number of CCI mini mag HP's and Winchester Super X and Power points from the neck, head and chest of ground hogs, usually young ones that we were going to eat, never bothered doing autopsy's on any of the old tough ones. My grandmother raised 12 kids during the hard times of the 30's and 40's and she said many was the time, if one of the boys hadn't killed a ground hog or a raccoon, their would have been some slim pickins at the table. She would parboil or pressure cook them, then brown them in flour in cast iron skillet, then into a roaster with carrots, potatoes, and onions, and make some gravy to go along with them. It would melt in your mouth.
    That sounds delicious.

Boolit Buddy

Back in hog killing days, we shot them with 22 shorts and would find the fragments in the brain cavity when working up the heads. Brains and scrambled eggs for breakfast day after hog killing.

Boolit Master

Same bullet (Remington Golden) recovered was perfectly expanded. Looked just like the Remington publicity pics in there “Deadliest mushroom in the woods” campaign of years ago.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Grand Master
    I recovered one .22HP 50 years ago from a groundhog and it was mushroomed. We ate the 'hog as well.

A .22 can be very effective with the right bullet in the hands of a good shot with an accurate gun.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    I have recovered 3 or 4 but all were shot from 3 or 31/2 “ barreled pistols.
    Surprised me federal and cci.
    Those squirrels always come to mind when I hear someone talk about a 22 snub for defense.

Boolit Master

Found a slightly riveted .22 in the neck of a roadkill deer dispatched by my neighbor. Not sure if it was a rifle or pistol used.

Boolit Grand Master

All of mine have been pass throughs. Interesting stories though.

Boolit Master
    Just a little OT, back in the late 60's while squirrel hunting I saw something shiny in the leaves. It was a fired 22 bullet in perfect condition, didn't appear to have struck anything. What are the odds of that and I still have it.