Lee PrecisionRepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smith and Wesson 686 no dash factory repair cost

Boolit Buddy
    Douglas Ridge Rifle Club, Eagle Creek, Oregon

Smith and Wesson 686 no dash factory repair cost

I recently inherited my dads Smith and wesson 686 no dash. He bought it new in 1983 according to my mom.

When I took possession, I noticed that the front sight did not line up with the rear. So I tried turning the barrel by hand, when by surprise it came completely loose. I have no idea how this could have happened. Maybe someone has a possible explanation.

Anyways, I sent the gun in to Smith and Wesson for repairs. They are charging me $208 for services.

$45 for range test and estimate
    $90 for labor
    $60 for tune and clean with oil

They are turning the barrel, re-cutting the forcing cone, setting the cylinder gap to factory spec, cleaning all lock work, tuning, oiling, function check and range testing.

Does this seem a reasonable amount of work and final fee just to fix a loose barrel? I was thinking they would just tighten it up and send it back. But then again I dont know much about handguns.

I thought back in the day S&W had lifetime warranty on their pistols. I know they worked on my 686 and 1066 several times for free. I guess those warranties went the way of the dodo in today's economic climate.
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

This gun is too old to be included in the lifetime warranty. More modern guns are included in the lifetime warranty. The warranty did not "go the way of the dodo bird."

The price you were quoted is an outright bargain! Worth every penny and more.

My 686 was from the mid 80's and was under the warranty. I wonder when they started it.
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

Boolit Buddy
    Sounds like a poor job of assembly from the factory. They should have repaired their error without cost than maybe shipping.

Thing is you don't know what Dad did. I own and have owned a raft of S&W revolvers. I have yet to see one you could unscrew the barrel by hand, not that it couldn't happen. Maybe you dad had the barrel off to have it worked on. I don't keep S&Ws as new as 586-686 series but I've had many of them. If that gun had all those issues new it should have been corrected for free, in the day.

I called S&W a couple months back about replacing the hand, on my 1970 vintage model 28. As it turns out, the warranty was only one year...

Boolit Grand Master
    $208 for the listed services by the OEM maker is a stone bargain. If it was my gun, it and certified funds would already be enroute.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 9.3X62AL View Post
    $208 for the listed services by the OEM maker is a stone bargain. If it was my gun, it and certified funds would already be enroute.
    It's already in the hand of Smith and Wesson, I am already going to have it repaired, just for the memories it's worth it.

Boolit Master
    Sounds like a good deal to me.

Boolit Master
    Often times repairs are made as "good will", and if it happens to you you're lucky. Even if SW had a lifetime warranty (they never did), it wouldn't go to the next owner like Leupold does with scopes. I've had handguns repaired for free and other times I paid. One time I bought a used SW 48 in .22mag. The original owner was a "shade tree gunsmith" and really butchered the gun up. You couldn't open the cylinder and he'd ruined the trigger on it...plus a few other cosmetic issues. SW put the gun back to an "As New" condition for seventy-eight bucks. Now that was over thirty years ago, so the cost of two hundred bucks is still a bargain. I've owned dozens of SW handguns and never, I repeat NEVER had a barrel come loose. I suspect Dad had a little influence in that regard.

Your dad's 686 is one of those "keep in the family" guns and no matter what happened to it before, it will be well worth the $208 to put it back in serviceable condition. I dropped a model 28 out of a zippered case and it wouldn't open for love nor money so I sent it back to S&W and they charged me $140 to fix it. I wasn't going to "bubba smith" it and when I got it back it was better than before. You are fortunate to have you dads gun. When you get it back it will probably have an "M" stamped below the serial # to indicate the fix for cylinder binding--IF your dad had not sent it in before. It will not be noticeable other than the letter stamping.
    Last edited by murf205; 07-15-2019 at 10:59 AM.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Quote Originally Posted by NSB View Post
    Even if SW had a lifetime warranty (they never did), ...
    They do.. Smith & Wesson’s Lifetime Service Policy begins after the warranty period has expired. Smith & Wesson will repair, without charge, for the lifetime of the original owner, any Smith & Wesson handgun purchased on or after February 1, 1989.

Quote Originally Posted by NSB View Post
    ... it wouldn't go to the next owner like Leupold does with scopes.
    Although they say "lifetime of the original owner," they have never asked me if I am the original owner. All they have ever asked for is the serial number. If the gun was made before the cut-off date, they send a pre-paid shipping label.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/customer-service/warranty

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Boolit_Head View Post
    I thought back in the day S&W had lifetime warranty on their pistols.
    I think the life time warranty was for the life of the original owner.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Quote Originally Posted by Hickory View Post
    I think the life time warranty was for the life of the original owner.
    Although they say "lifetime of the original owner," they have never asked me if I am the original owner. All they have ever asked for is the serial number. If the gun was made before the cut-off date, they send a pre-paid shipping label.

Boolit Grand Master

I’d happily pay S&W and enjoy the heirloom for decades to come.

Boolit Buddy
    Im happy with the deal, just was not sure all that work was needed. I'm eagerly waiting to get it back in my hands.

Lifetime warranty applies to firearms 1989 and later if I recall. Anyway, that is a bargain for the top notch work they do. Any gunsmith that COULD do that work (not many) would charge far more.

Quote Originally Posted by curioushooter View Post
    Lifetime warranty applies to firearms 1989 and later if I recall. Anyway, that is a bargain for the top notch work they do. Any gunsmith that COULD do that work (not many) would charge far more.

Banned
    As most others have said:
    1. That gun was not covered under a lifetime warranty
    2. The prices quoted for that work are a bargain
    3. Send it in and have that work done.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast