WidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackbox
Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Percussion cap hunting question

Percussion cap hunting question

I will be chasing elk this fall with a 54 cal percussion cap sidelock (TC grey hawk). Obviously one would need to have the powder, patch, ball, etc. already in the rifle. When do you add the percussion cap? Right before taking the shot? Given the light triggers on both my smoke poles, I would have to think that walking around with the cap on could be asking for trouble.
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

Banned
    Once I drive to my hunting area and get out, I cap and start my hike. You're on half cock which is basically our safety.

Gotcha, thanks.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by FrontierMuzzleloading View Post
    Once I drive to my hunting area and get out, I cap and start my hike. You're on half cock which is basically our safety.
    This is the way to do it.
    Plus, I'd use a small bit of castbullet lube to waterproof the cap.
    Just press it around the cap & nipple with your fingers.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Grand Master
    Same here. In Maryland, it's not a loaded gun (for DNR purposes) if the nipple is bare. Make a decision about your particular rifle. Is it safe on "safety". If so, cap up when you hit the field.

I cap my percussion rifles, add a plastic cap guard (which seals the cap between nipple body & cap edge from moisture) if rain is expected; then place a piece of leather between the (carefully lowered hammer and the cap (the leather will fall away when the gun is cocked.

Here's my raingear - A few cap seals & muzzle overcoats...……

Here's the leather nipple guard..... (the thong isn't used when hunting, just for storage)

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hickory View Post
    this !!

Boolit Master
    There used to be a small brass cup that would fit over the nipple, then the hammer was rested on it. Kinda like the leather idea above but stronger. It also served as a rain guard of sorts, but, I added those plastic rings as well. I haven't seen them in years but a 3/8" or so copper pipe cap should work. May have to trim it a bit in length.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hickory View Post
    Same thing but I use plain old beeswax.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    There used to be a small brass cup that would fit over the nipple, then the hammer was rested on it. Kinda like the leather idea above but stronger. It also served as a rain guard of sorts, but, I added those plastic rings as well. I haven't seen them in years but a 3/8" or so copper pipe cap should work. May have to trim it a bit in length.
    use a spent 22 brass

Boolit Master
    I use bees wax also. Never had a misfire in wet weather.

Fly

Boolit Master

A bit a beeswax has kept my 32 running on those early morning squirrel hunts where the dew was so thick you thought it was raining.
    WWG1WGA

Tyrants use the force of the people to chain and subjugate-that is, enyoke the people. They then plough with them as men do with oxen yoked. Thus the spirit of liberty and innovation is reduced by bayonets, and principles are struck dumb by cannon shot: Albert Pike, Morals and Dogma

I made a 'cows knee' to cover my flintlock in wet weather, but it is awesome for a cap lock to! I cap and carry on halfcock, like the leather idea. If I take a cap off of a loaded rifle, I lower the hammer on a folded patch. hc18flyer

Boolit Grand Master

I don't like using half cock as a safety, but walking with a rifle in hands I have little problem with it. If carrying on a sling, then no, I take the cap off. I do as many others do. After loading, I tape the muzzle off, I use electrical tape usually. I also use a small piece for the nipple. For the cap, I bend them ever so slightly so they stay on nice a snug, and use the tiniest bit of ear wax as I can to seal on the nipple. I've hunted in some real downpours and the rifle or shotgun went bang when the time came.

I have never hunted elk, but I'm going to assume it depends on how you are hunting. If walking through woods, I would definitely have the rifle in my hands and capped. If just walking around an spotting, then I would take the cap off and sling it on my shoulder. The difference being when it's in my hands, I have complete control over the muzzle, and it shouldn't be unsafe even if the hammer was cocked.

Heh, rain while hunting, what a crazy idea! Barring a freak weather event, I am a lot more worried about my shot starting a forest fire than getting damp during the local muzzleloader season. I am still very happy to hear all of these ideas, since you never know.

Sandwich bag for a cow’s knee, or a .32 auto case to fit over the nipple. Dry weather, I carry capped on half cock.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Banned
    if you hunt out west and go hunting mule deer or elk without a cap on your rifle, you may as well stay home because you wont have the to fiddle to cap and then try to take aim and shoot.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
    Heh, rain while hunting, what a crazy idea! Barring a freak weather event, I am a lot more worried about my shot starting a forest fire than getting damp during the local muzzleloader season. I am still very happy to hear all of these ideas, since you never know.
    Brewer, you can rip a fart and start a fire out here so that's a valid worry.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Anschutz View Post
    Brewer, you can rip a fart and start a fire out here so that's a valid worry.
    Is that still the case this year? Here is has been so wet, there is widespread flooding. This is the first time I have ever not been able to plant in the garden out back. I think the longest we went without rain so far this year is 6 days back in June, and at day 6 I dug a hole in the garden, and the hole filled right up with water. Any time it rains it is standing water. We had a ton of snow this winter, and when it melted in April, my shooting range flooded. It was not reopened until last week, July 6th. It is still standing water in most of it. The shotgun range doesn't matter, luckily the rifle range is just a mud (water is an instant closure, due to ricochet concerns). If we haven't/wont set rainfall records this year, I can't even imagine what it would take. It's not just sprinkling, we are getting 1"+ rainstorms all the time. I swear there was not a 24 hour period in all of May without rain.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    Is that still the case this year? Here is has been so wet, there is widespread flooding. This is the first time I have ever not been able to plant in the garden out back. I think the longest we went without rain so far this year is 6 days back in June, and at day 6 I dug a hole in the garden, and the hole filled right up with water. Any time it rains it is standing water. We had a ton of snow this winter, and when it melted in April, my shooting range flooded. It was not reopened until last week, July 6th. It is still standing water in most of it. The shotgun range doesn't matter, luckily the rifle range is just a mud (water is an instant closure, due to ricochet concerns). If we haven't/wont set rainfall records this year, I can't even imagine what it would take. It's not just sprinkling, we are getting 1"+ rainstorms all the time. I swear there was not a 24 hour period in all of May without rain.
    There has been a lot of rain and snowmelt so hopefully not the case and the previously burned areas will have lots of forage.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast