Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackbox
Load DataSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Percussion cap hunting question

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FrontierMuzzleloading View Post
    if you hunt out west and go hunting mule deer or elk without a cap on your rifle, you may as well stay home because you wont have the to fiddle to cap and then try to take aim and shoot.
    not entirely true.

Banned
    hunt my area, you'll become a believer.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FrontierMuzzleloading View Post
    hunt my area, you'll become a believer.
    i did. i have hunted all over northern n.m. and if you hunt in big timber, those huge trees are perfect to hide behind and load a cap.
    Last edited by triggerhappy243; 07-21-2019 at 04:50 PM.

I'm a believer in keeping the hammer at half-cock.
    If the hammer isn't at 1/2 cock then when using the cap cover or leather pad there's a possibility of the hammer getting snagged,
    lifting it off the cover and letting the cover fall away which allows the hammer to fall on to the cap in the process of it getting snagged.
    I guess the bad part of using the 1/2 cock is that both the trigger and the hammer can get snagged at the same time.
    But at least if the hammer is on 1/2 cock, the chance of the hammer falling without the trigger being pulled are lessened than if it weren't on 1/2 cock.
    One needs to remember that the 1/2 cock is not a safety, and even if it were it is still prone to fail as any mechanical safety can.
    IMO the best safety is to control the muzzle at all times by keeping it pointed in a safe direction, in conjunction with using the 1/2 cock.

Boolit Bub
    Half cock for me, but do like some of these other ideas.

Banned
    Started muzzleloading in Asia, we used a large-cap (from sheet caps) and foil to keep the cap on and dry. we had a rubber band tied to a toothpaste tube cap as the safety. Lift the hammer and the rubber band pulled the toothpaste tube cap away and you could fire. We tied a plastic bag over the barrel (with a rubber band) and yanked it off to shoot.

IF the cap doesn't want to stay on, pinch it slightly and it will stay on the nipple better.

Quote Originally Posted by Conditor22 View Post
    Started muzzleloading in Asia, we used a large-cap (from sheet caps) and foil to keep the cap on and dry. we had a rubber band tied to a toothpaste tube cap as the safety. Lift the hammer and the rubber band pulled the toothpaste tube cap away and you could fire. We tied a plastic bag over the barrel (with a rubber band) and yanked it off to shoot.

IF the cap doesn't want to stay on, pinch it slightly and it will stay on the nipple better.
    I like the toothpaste cap idea. I use a disposable foam ear plug. Cut one in half, and set it on the cap. Gently lower the hammer down onto it. They usually just fall off when I cock the hammer, but if not, a quick flick of the thumb and they drop off. I think there is enough cushion there to keep the gun from firing if it were to get hit or dropped.

Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post

I cap my percussion rifles, add a plastic cap guard (which seals the cap between nipple body & cap edge from moisture) if rain is expected; then place a piece of leather between the (carefully lowered hammer and the cap (the leather will fall away when the gun is cocked.

Here's my raingear - A few cap seals & muzzle overcoats...……

Here's the leather nipple guard..... (the thong isn't used when hunting, just for storage)

Where did you find those tiny condoms ?
    "Adults are the children and the children are the adults" Jules my wife.

All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife. — Daniel Boone

Democracy is defended in 3 stages: Ballot Box, Jury Box, Cartridge Box. — Ambrose Bierce

A system of licensing and registration is the perfect device to deny gun ownership to the bourgeoisie. — Vladimir Ilyich Lenin

Black Rifles Matter

NRA Life Member, SAF Member, GOA Member, TFA Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cheeto303 View Post

Muzzle rain guards (aka: medical finger protectors):

https://www.traditionsfirearms.com/p...ain-gear-a1330

https://www.cvs.com/shop/cvs-health-...9?skuid=310269

Nipple rain guards:

http://www.octobercountry.com/cap-guards/

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master

I cap my percussion rifles, add a plastic cap guard (which seals the cap between nipple body & cap edge from moisture) if rain is expected; then place a piece of leather between the (carefully lowered hammer and the cap (the leather will fall away when the gun is cocked.

Here's my raingear - A few cap seals & muzzle overcoats...……

Here's the leather nipple guard..... (the thong isn't used when hunting, just for storage)

I swear by the cap guards with my Grey Hawk 50. I have been hunting in the rain and even the worst of our monsoons on the Olympic Peninsula for 30 years. Because shooting with a well greased patched PRB that seals the bore, I have not seen the need for the condoms as long at the bore is pointed down. I have left the load and the cap guard on for several days with nary a misfire even when it has rained 3-7 inches of rain per day. What also helps is hunting in a heavy duty poncho rather than a rain suit to keep the action drier.

Boolit Grand Master

50% of the reason I use tape over the muzzle is to keep stuff out. I tape all my hunting guns, not just muzzleloaders. Mud is one thing, just don't drop the rifle. Dragging through prairie grass, cattails, or other thick brush, you never know what might find it's way down the tube.

Well, I got a muzzleloading deer tag in the leftover draw, so that will make two hunts with a front stuffer. The place I will be able to chase deer will involve wading across a river if I want to access a material part of the property, so I will have to pay attention to all these precautions after all. It will be interesting if I have to haul a carcass back across the river...
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

Quote Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post

Well, I got a muzzleloading deer tag in the leftover draw, so that will make two hunts with a front stuffer.

The place I will be able to chase deer will involve wading across a river if I want to access a material part of the property, so I will have to pay attention to all these precautions after all.

It will be interesting if I have to haul a carcass back across the river...

Float the carcass across...…………. BT, DT - NTS.

Just stick a couple of large balloons (un-inflated) in your pocket B 4 hunting.

Then, if you get a deer, field dress the deer, insert balloons inside the body cavity & inflate them as much as possible - then ensure they stay inside with some cord/rope wrapped around the body.

Boolit Master

Then, if you get a deer, field dress the deer, insert balloons inside the body cavity & inflate them as much as possible - then ensure they stay inside with some cord/rope wrapped around the body.

Or........... Or pre-stage an inflatable raft on the other side of the river cover it with brush to hide it. use gps locator to locate it when you needed it.

I do wonder. Is it total disaster if the carcass is in the water as I drag it across? Was actually wondering if that was an option if the weather is hot.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
    I do wonder. Is it total disaster if the carcass is in the water as I drag it across? Was actually wondering if that was an option if the weather is hot.
    possible bacteria in the water.

Quote Originally Posted by triggerhappy243 View Post

Yeah. A doe I could probably haul across shallow water on my back if need be and October shouldn't be too hot. My elk tag is for mid September. At modest elevations it could be pretty hot. The Platte will be nearby and was wondering if a dunk might be a good idea. Ditto a pronghorn in October with a full canal nearby.

Boolit Buddy
    Drugstores have the “tiny condoms”. They call them fingercots. Or buy a box of disposable gloves and cut off a finger.
    luvtn

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Cheeto303 View Post
    at a drug store for tiny men.

other tips, clean bore with alcohol, dry, then fire a cap only before loading.
    i am also a fan of real black powder. i have had a hang fire on first shot with prodex. real bp is faster.

Quote Originally Posted by triggerhappy243 View Post

Common sense tells us to rinse any meat with clean running water (from a known source), if a contamination is suspected...………………..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12