Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad DataWideners
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gas check stuck in case.

Boolit Buddy

Gas check stuck in case.

I was seating some bullets last night,and about halfway through the batch one seated too deep.It seems the nose was blunter than the rest. I pulled the bullet,but the copper gas check is down near the bottom of the neck.Is there any harm in just shooting it out?,or should I just ditch it?..

Do you have a kinetic puller?

Boolit Buddy
    Yes,Thats how I pulled the bullet,and when I went to dump the powder there was none.I have never had a squib before,but for a minute I was thinking I had loaded one.I am not used to cast bullets,and had forgot about the check..I did give it a few hard licks with the kinetic puller,but quit thinking the check doesn't have enough weight .

Boolit Buddy

Elroy,

Best thing is with some sort of thin probe push one side of the gas check until it is side ways in the neck and then with a very long, slim, needle nosed pliers etc. pull the gas check out. If the gas check falls into the case that is not really a problem just empty the powder out and continue to pull it out with the needle nose pliers. I have never gotten a kinetic puller to get a gas check out.

Have Fun,

JCherry

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks everyone. I am weird about brass ,and I don't know why .I just hate to loose one.I can have one thats been fired several times roll of the table when I'm shooting,and will spend way more time than it's worth looking for it until I find it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JCherry View Post
    Elroy,

Best thing is with some sort of thin probe push one side of the gas check until it is side ways in the neck and then with a very long, slim, needle nosed pliers etc. pull the gas check out. If the gas check falls into the case that is not really a problem just empty the powder out and continue to pull it out with the needle nose pliers. I have never gotten a kinetic puller to get a gas check out.

Have Fun,

JCherry
    What he says!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Elroy View Post
    Thanks everyone. I am weird about brass ,and I don't know why .I just hate to loose one.I can have one thats been fired several times roll of the table when I'm shooting,and will spend way more time than it's worth looking for it until I find it.
    I had a 25/20 case pop out a bullet puller once and fell between the slats of the deck and into the leaves.... I spent 45 minutes removing leaf by leaf into a 5 gallon bucket until i found it.

I had a gascheck stuck so bad in old 44 mag reloads i was breaking down, that i had to punch thru it with an ice pick and put a screw into, to pull it out.

Boolit Grand Master

It's good to know I'm not the only one who is "funny" about brass .
    I wont leave the range until I have at least as many cases as I went with and will not be happy untill I can pick up at least 50 - 100 extra.... and it doesn't matter what caliber , just as long as I leave with more than I came .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

The only way I am particular about brass is that I want all my cases to be fired the same number of times.

The way I use to get a gas check out if a casing is poke it with a punch to get it sideways, then hook it with a paper clip that has a small hook bent on the end.

I will look a good half hour for a casing, then mark the spot and come back later and look. Got a 30-30 in the yard that I lost the other day. I keep my brass in lots with times fired and load used.

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    The way I use to get a gas check out if a casing is poke it with a punch to get it sideways, then hook it with a paper clip that has a small hook bent on the end.

I will look a good half hour for a casing, then mark the spot and come back later and look. Got a 30-30 in the yard that I lost the other day. I keep my brass in lots with times fired and load used.
    That is what I do. Any stiff wire or paper clip; put a bend in the end small enough to get in the case mouth. Turn case upside down, stick hook in and turn while withdrawing. It usually pops them right out.
    Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Master

Chamber it in the rifle and pull the trigger, it'll come out and the brass will be fine.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I keep a set of hemostats at the bench for this.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    I keep a set of hemostats at the bench for this.
    Yup!
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master
    A slender needle nose pliers should get it.

Boolit Buddy
    I dont have hemostats,and nothing I tried would reach it,so I squeezed the neck using finger pressure just enough to oval shape it a hair,and it fell right out..Thanks everyone.

Boolit Master

I dont have hemostats,and nothing I tried would reach it,so I squeezed the neck using finger pressure just enough to oval shape it a hair,and it fell right out..Thanks everyone.
    ^^^^That^^^^

Necessity. The mother of invention.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Quote Originally Posted by MostlyLeverGuns View Post
    A slender needle nose pliers should get it.
    This is what I always use when that happened. Works good .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master

I would've seat another boolit, crimp & shoot...

Boolit Master

Elroy's got the right idea. I've done hundreds over the years. Oval it and the check will fall out. No harm do as you'll have to at least neck size it to reload anyway./beagle

diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast