Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackbox
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2WidenersReloading Everything
Load Data

Thread: Lube question

Boolit Bub

Lube question

Anyone used straight choking lard as patch or wad loob?

Boolit Bub
    I've used Crisco which technicality is not the same thing but its close enough.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Makes for a superior fouling platform.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Bub
    How so? I've always been taught to not use petroleum products. Is that wrong?
    Last edited by Texasgunnut; 07-15-2019 at 10:47 AM. Reason: wordage

Boolit Buddy
    I tried it and it is really hard to clean up. Windex when I am target practicing , like a spit patch and dixie gun works patch lube when hunting. I use goex black powder and this works for me and may be different for your needs. Hope this helps...……………...Curdog

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texasgunnut View Post
    How so? I've always been taught to not use petroleum products. Is that wrong?
    I had tried it years ago when I was testing a series of lubes. I got pretty serious fouling after an average of eight shots, requiring swabbing the bore.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Moderator Emeritus

Beef Lard? seems like it'd work.

Long before I was a boolit caster or a reloader, I shot some Muzzleloaders, I was told Bear Grease is a good patch lube and was given a sample. I liked how well it worked for me, so a year later, I got some Bear fat from a hunter and rendered it down and processed it into canning jars (8 qts) and it's all I have used it ever since, it also gets used to coat the ML rifles for storage as well. That was 25 years, and still have about 2 qt jars left.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Every one has there favorites. You will hear them all from this thread but this is the BEST I have found in 45 years of shooting. Mink oil
    is what I use. You can buy it a number of places. Walgreens even sells it.

Fly

This is my own mix....25% Citronella candle wax....25% Bees wax..25% Crisco..25% Vaselene...5 Tbs Goose fat...5 Tbs Alox...1 Black Hustler Candle (my GF says it burnt her so I had it to use it somewhere)....It is incredibly slippery and smells of lemons (Citronella)..I used it to pan lube and it worked out great on my maxi's

Boolit Buddy
    I'm shooting minies in North South Skirmish competition and my go to is 60/40 Beeswax/Lard. I tested the same mix with Crisco but lard yielded superior accuracy in nearly every musket I shoot.

In other worlds, I've been helping instruct in muzzleloading with the Boy Scouts and we have an open troop shoot in the evenings at camp. So far, my record letting the Scouts shoot without wiping is 53 minies from a Zouave. Only reason we stopped was lack of daylight. No fall off in accuracy noted so I guess my lube is working ok.
    A man cannot have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition.
    Rudyard Kipling

Palmetto Sharpshooters
    North South Skirmish Association
    NRA Muzzleloading Instructor