Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load DataWideners
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything

Thread: Shoulder stock vs pistol brace on revolvers

Boolit Buddy

Shoulder stock vs pistol brace on revolvers

With the new ATF interpretation regarding weapons with detachable pistol braces not being subject to NFA registration, and with Ruger and others now on board with their versions, I wonder about something that has bothered me for the last 50 years or so.

Lee van Cleef, in the movie For a Few Dollars More, used a detachable shoulder stock equipped single action revolver in his role as Colonel Douglas Mortimer, with and without the stock attached. Clint Eastwood’s character disparagingly referred to it as a “contraption”, but I always wanted one, yet knew that while they were available for percussion revolvers, their use on a cartridge based revolver would invoke the NFA issues.

As I understand it, the ATF recently ok’d SOME pistol braces, even if fired from the shoulder, rather than being pressed against the forearm, in part because a shorter pistol brace would be uncomfortable or impractical fired from the shoulder. In the movie, Mortimer is pretty scrunched up when using the thing on his shoulder, but in one extremely brief scene, he fires with the stock pressed against his forearm, exactly as a pistol brace would be used,and appeared much more comfortable doing so. By the way, in the later movie,Joe Kidd, Clint’s character does use a shoulder stocked semi auto (Mauser?), and appears just as scrunched up when trying to use the sights.

I was just wondering about whether or not one might get a favorable ATF ruling regarding older detachable stock designs, in light of the recent determination. Any thoughts on this? Moderators, feel free to move or delete per the rules.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    It is my understanding that any actual stock on a modern pistol is a no no. If you remove the straps from a brace then it is a no no. The atf changed the ruling on braces so it was not a violation to use it from the shoulder but if its primary function was a shoulder stock it's still a no no. Although its all about the money if you pay the fee and register it then its ok. I have an m11 and if i put a forward handle on it so i can hold it with both hands then it needs to be registered. I have an fn49 that if i make clips detachable with out removing some existing options it becomes illegal with out paying and registering it. These are some of the stupidest laws and rulings i think i have ever seen. As far as them changing the interpretation one can only hope but i wouldn't count on it. And anything legal today can be illegal tomorrow just ask bump stock owners.

Boolit Master
    Be careful what you wish for, it may not be all fun and games.

About 40 years ago I bought a stocked pistol with a 16 inch barrel, thus it was considered a long gun. It was a 44 mag Uberti. I had to scrunch forward to fire it. There was so much blow back into my face I never fired it again after that first shot. I wore eye protection and it was still just too uncomfortable for me. As cool looking as the gun was, I traded it off.
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Boolit Master
    All the ATF did was say that shouldering a pistol brace doesn't change the classifiacation of the firearm. Pistol braces aren't "intended" to be a shoulder stock, an older detachable shoulder stock on a pistol would not be looked at in the same manner regardless of vintage.

Boolit Master
    I shoot my wife's Mauser with the shoulder stock all the time. Very comfortable to do so, much more so than the horrible grip when fired as a pistol. I don't 'scrunch' up since the length of pull is good. It may look a bit awkward because there is no forearm, so the forward hand is back a bit, which gives a scrunch look.

Behind enemy walls where the libertards run amok
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    I shoot my wife's Mauser with the shoulder stock all the time. Very comfortable to do so, much more so than the horrible grip when fired as a pistol. I don't 'scrunch' up since the length of pull is good. It may look a bit awkward because there is no forearm, so the forward hand is back a bit, which gives a scrunch look.
    Behind enemy lines of Kommifornia?
    Was told no go at my local range?

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    No, I would never live in CA.

Does it make a difference if the pistol was mfg hefore 1898? Ours is an 1897 mfg.

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk

You can pay the fee and get a stamp for pistols & revolvers with detachable stocks. I have shot many of them that owners had gotten the Ferderal "permit" for. All the ones I have shot were WW2 or older auto pistols.