Titan ReloadingRepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWidenersADvertise here

Thread: First cast with Lee 155gr mold

First cast with Lee 155gr mold

Quick question. I cast a bunch of boolits from my new LEE PRECISION 90741, 6 Cavity Bullet Mold, 7.62x39mm (.312" Diameter), 155 Grains, 2 Ogive Radius Gas Check. I PCed the bullets and checked the weight. They are running about 165 grains. Is that right?? Also, I guess two quick questions. I suppose I sound load as per the 168 grain recipe rather than the 155. Dumb question but ya never know. It is a 155 grain mold. LOL

thanks for the help

If you used softer alloy than specified for the mold the boolit will be heavier.

Yes, it's safer to use the load data for the same weight boolit. In either case, you should start at the low end and work your way up watching for overpressure signs and leading.

What alloy are you using?

Is this a TL mold? Lee also makes 6 CAV CTL312-160-2R.

https://leeprecision.com/mold-6-cav-ctl312-160-2r.html

A 10-grain difference is a lot for that light a boolit. it was this boolit? https://leeprecision.com/mold-6-cav-c312-155-2r.html

Yes its the https://leeprecision.com/mold-6-cav-c312-155-2r.html mold. I am using wheel weights quenched.

Boolit Master
    As mentioned, a denser alloy will give you heavier boolits. A few grains is no big deal, and generally our loads for CBs are way under jacketed charges. Also as mentioned, start low and pay attention to pressure signs. I load a similar boolit (TL312-160 2R) for 300 AAC BLK and have had no problems. I honestly donít believe I ever checked the weights of those ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Mold
    I would load a few rounds with 155gr data and some with 168gr data and see what loads work best. As long as you work the load up, either load should be safe.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I use the same mold only 2 cavity using pure wheel weights i get 157 to 158 grains. They shoot great for me. I would go with the 168 data or start at very bottom and work up the 155 data. I use wc846 powder still working up but seems to be very accurate.

Yeah I was surprised at the weight difference. I was thinking maybe a few grains but 10 seems a bit high. I only checked on my digital scale after calibration tomorrow I'll put it on the beam scale. Pretty sure the digital is pretty close though. Either way it is what it is. I'll just start low and work up.