Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2Load Data
Titan Reloading Repackbox

Thread: MEC 650 or Pacific DL-155?

Boolit Master

MEC 650 or Pacific DL-155?

I am considering reloading 12-gauge, 2-3/4" shotgun shells for 3-Gun competitions and have a choice of a used MEC 650 or a used Pacific DL-155. The MEC looks to have an adjustable powder/shot bar and the Pacific has a bunch of bushings.

My Remington 11-87 Special is a bit finicky and does require close to 1300 fps with #7-1/2 shot.

So I actually have 2 questions:

1. Is it worth getting into reloading for my shotgun, and

2. Is there a clear preference between the Pacific and the MEC?

Thank you,
    Richard
    Isn't a 9mm just a .45 set on stun? -- Amy W.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred."
    -- Niccolo Machiavelli

USPSA A32025
    NRA Life

Boolit Master

The Mec 650 does not resize as part off the normal operation and you will need to resize shells shot in your 1187. That said why not just use the cheap "promotional" loads at Wallyworld. If you buy the 3 1/4 dram 1 1/8 oz loads I'm pretty sure they'll function your 1187 and they are $5-5.50/box. It's going to cost you close to $5/box to reload. If your 1187 will not function with promotional loads something is wrong with it.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Bub
    I agree
    If your shooting 20 or 12ga why bother reloading. There are deals out there that make the different costs minimal
    410. 28. 16. If you shoot a lot then reload

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Boolit Grand Master
    Unless you buy components in bulk, reloading 12 ga is a waste of time.

I used to load 20k trap loads a year and saved about $1 a box. Bought 40-80 bags of shot at a time, wads and powder by the case, 15-30k primers ar a time. Using a hydraulic Soplar or PW with AutoDrive I did 500 shells an hr...20 boxes. Your manual machines will net 100 shells an hour and if you buy components at your LGS you will not save anything.

I “save” $20/hr and make a doubles load that I can not purchase so it makes sense for me. And I shoot enough to justify a high output reloader.

If all you need are a couple of thousand standard loads, buy Top Guns, Estates, or Gun Clubs on sale.

If you still decide to reload, I had a 650 and did not like it. YMMV
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    I have run the numbers on shotgun loading and agree that you can't load and save any money, not to mention your time. I load 12 and 410 only because I already have the components and enjoy fooling with them, especially the 410.

I have a DL-155 in 410 and a Honey Bair in 12. Both work fine but I bought them for $25 each. If I were really serious about loading shotguns I would probably buy something current. There is no parts support for the two loaders I have. Depending on used parts for a daily driver is a gamble.

If I didn't have the components for a 12 ga I would spent the money used on a press on couple cases of shells and not look back.

Dave

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    In reply to your question #2, I have used both and will take the DL-155 (of which I own 2) hands down over the MEC. I particularly like the way PAC/HOR crimp dies crimp. Practically speaking, bushings never change, although there could possibly be a SLIGHT variation in the powder from lot to lot, but the adjustable bar could possibly, (although extremely remote) change. As far as parts go, unless you are a ham handed 800 pound gorilla, the chances of breaking things, except wad guide fingers which have been pretty much the same for PAC/HOR since I started reloading shotshell in the early70s, are pretty slim. Parts can be adapted from newer model presses and there is a plethora of parts on ebay. For example, I shoot a lot of 28 gauge and didn't want to set up my DL-366 for short runs of experimental loads so I converted a DL-105 I had setting around not being used for anything, to 28 gauge with parts I bought from HOR and/or ebay, all except the shell holder plate which I made from scratch.

As regarding #1, I pretty much agree with the rest of the folks about the cost to reload 12 and 20 gauge versus the cheap promo ammo from WalMart and such. With 410, 28 and possibly 16 gauge it is a different story assuming you shoot more than 5-6 boxes a season. However, if it gives you personal satisfaction to have "rolled your own" then that is worth something, plus it "keeps you off the streets and out of the bars" so to speak.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Boolit Master
    Many thanks for all the recommendations to just buy ammo off the shelf.

I can't use any really cheap ammo because I need the 1300 fps. I couldn't figure out why my 11-87 was not cycling completely, but found on the Remington site information that the Special requires stiffer loads than the normal 11-87. The note didn't say why, but I suspect it has something to do with how much gas is ported from the barrel to the mechanism.

It's easier to just buy the shells that work than to fiddle with it. I'll look for deals on quantity.

Looks like the MEC and the Pacific (both of which I've picked up over time) will go into the garage sale.

Cheers,
    Richard

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred."
    -- Niccolo Machiavelli

USPSA A32025
    NRA Life

Boolit Master
    Insider Remington info says that a $10 part from a 1187 super-mag (i.e. a 3 1/2" gun) will allow a
    1187 non-super-mag (i.e. a 2 3/4" + 3" gun) cycle light loads.

https://www.brownells.com/shotgun-pa...973-42790.aspx

Item #13 (NOT SHOWN IN BELOW SCHEMATIC)
    https://www.brownells.com/schematics...ag-sid821.aspx

Barrel Seal Activator, SM
    Brownells part number: 767-000-755WB
    Remington part number: F201598
    REMINGTON
    FITS: 11-87 Super Mag, 12 ga
    $10.09

https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/9...7-not-cycling/
    look for posts by "Bryan 45".
    "It goes between the barrel seal (o-ring) and the piston assembly."

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/33...e-super-magnum

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by edp2k View Post
    Insider Remington info says that a $10 part from a 1187 super-mag (i.e. a 3 1/2" gun) will allow a
    1187 non-super-mag (i.e. a 2 3/4" + 3" gun) cycle light loads.
    Thank you. I actually have added that part. It helped, but the shotgun still won't cycle with anything below about 1280 fps. Am still assuming that has something to do with the Special version. Although, come to think of it, my Saiga 12-gauge (magazine fed) shotgun also isn't fond of the least expensive ammo, even with the 2-position gas port adjusted for low velocity.

Cheers,
    Richard

-- Niccolo Machiavelli

USPSA A32025
    NRA Life

Shotgun loading these days is not about economics so much as it is getting the load you want. I used to use 3/4 ounce loads in my 1100 and over under without any difficulty once the right load was found. Sure makes 4 rounds of skeet go by easier. I even had some nice loads for station 8 with spreader wads to get the pattern opened quicker. I still have 3 600 jr's under the bench. Only one I am missing is the 410 version.

I have a very old adjustable bar I got back in the early 90's that I have never been real fond of, they just did not move smoothly and were a pain. I use the bushings and a standard bar most of the time.
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    All of my MECs size and required special attention for high brass Remington cases .
    I have both . 2 155s and MECs 2 600jr , 1 600 MkV , 1 grabber , 1 Size Master in , 12 , 16 ,& 20 ga .

For 12 ga it's really a toss . All of the MECs are fitted with the adjustable bars compatible with steel shot which the 155s are not .

I got into it when I could load steel for $5.60/box vs $12-16/box . Today I can buy the same loads I was loading for $5.80 at the end of/pre-season sales , it's not worth time for such a narrow savings .

The 16 and 20 ga is certainly worth loading . Eventually I'll find 10 and/or 410 dies for the MECs , they will go back into regular service then I suspect .

Lots of possibilities having a press with adjustable bars you can reduce the powder .1-2gr and raise the shot charge 1/32 to meet a cycle need .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master
    My 11-87 Special Purpose would not function with ultra-lite WW loads. Sent back to Remington, came back shooting anything. Must have changed the design. Find it hard to believe Remington would make something so ammo specific, but rumor has it they "ain't what they used to be".

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich/WIS View Post
    My 11-87 Special Purpose would not function with ultra-lite WW loads. Sent back to Remington, came back shooting anything. Must have changed the design. Find it hard to believe Remington would make something so ammo specific, but rumor has it they "ain't what they used to be".
    Hmmm... I will have to check that out. Wonder what Remington changed? But I think people are right that they "ain't what they used to be."

Thank you,
    Richard

-- Niccolo Machiavelli

USPSA A32025
    NRA Life

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RG1911 View Post
    I am considering reloading 12-gauge, 2-3/4" shotgun shells for 3-Gun competitions and have a choice of a used MEC 650 or a used Pacific DL-155. The MEC looks to have an adjustable powder/shot bar and the Pacific has a bunch of bushings.

My Remington 11-87 Special is a bit finicky and does require close to 1300 fps with #7-1/2 shot.

So I actually have 2 questions:

1. Is it worth getting into reloading for my shotgun, and

2. Is there a clear preference between the Pacific and the MEC?

Thank you,
    Richard
    You have a "special purpose" shotgun that requires heavy loads to operate properly, so those really low powered $5 a box shells just won't work for you in that gun. And you have already figured out that loading higher powered shells is a better solution than purchasing shells for it. I use a Pacific DL-150 for loading all of my shells, and it is an older version of the DL-155. Like most older Hornady shotshell reloaders all the new parts for the 366 fit and work just fine. The only things that ever wear out on my old Pacific presses are the plastic wad insertion fingers that are identical to the new Hornady ones. And all the pre-crimpers are all the same. I have each of the DL-110, DL-150, DL-260 and DL-350 presses that work very well. And with a few interchangeable powder and or shot bushings I can load anything from very light to very heavy loads. So the DL-155 will work just fine for you and give you what you want without having Remington dis-able the high-power settings you bought the gun for originally.