Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataRepackboxInline FabricationWideners
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Man I hate breaking in a new pair of boots!!!!

Boolit Buddy

Man I hate breaking in a new pair of boots!!!!

Older I get seems every little bump rubs my feet. Just rubbed a blister on my left heel and that boot was wearing good until this morning. Run the weed eater in the early morning dew, thought that would soften them up and contour to fit my feet. Finally put some mineral oil on the inside to soften the leather. Enough complaining got to go move some hay rolls. Work always seems to interfere with my gun time.

Sounds like they're trying to break you in.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Back in the old days we'd put on a pair of new boots and head to the pond, creek or whatever, and wade until the boots got saturated, then wear them the rest of the day.It worked

Now days there are so many things that are on or in boots that it isn't a good Idea anymore. Not to mention the price of a good pair....

However, SnoProof will help to soften them up a lot, If it is still made.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Buddy
    I’ve always thought, it’s your feet that break into a new pair of ��!

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I can count the time's i have worn shoes on one hand in the last 20 years. Flip flops exclusively. Shattered my big toe and joint . It healed so that i need a larger shoe on one foot than other and flip flops are just easier. Winter and summer.

Boolit Master

I have developed nephropathy(loosing feeling in the feet) even though I don't have diabetes. This makes getting the right fit in out door boots. And of course the most expensive boot are the best fit. But you don't know that until you get them home and wear them in a bit. At that point the dealer might not take the boots back. It seems like the boot maker changes the style or shape over time and the next pair might not fit. It gets to be a crap shoot sometimes.
    Ole Jack
    "'Necesity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of Tyrants: it is the creed of slaves."
    William Pitt, 1783
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we faulter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." Abraham Lincoln.

Banned

Getting them soaking wet and wearing them until they dry is still the best method. Neatsfoot oil was the best softener I ever tried is they still make it.

Boolit Buddy
    richhodg66 is right on. When I was in boot camp most city kids got terrible sore and blistered feet because most never wore boots before. Some DI’s had them soak their boots in a bucket of water over night. Put them on in the morning and go for a hike till everybody's boots were dry and no blisters

Boolit Master
    I know about neuropathy, got it from chemo. Without shoes or at least flip-flops it feels like I'm walking on roadside gravel.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master

I always wore 2 pair of Cotton socks or one pair of cotton inside one pair of Wool socks.
    Bought them that way too. Took two pair of socks to try them on.
    For Recruit Training I had 3 dozen pairs of socks. Never had a blister. But then I'd had to break in new hunting boots, new cowboy boots every year from 6yrs old to sixteen yrs old. So maybe my feet had an advantage. And I was used to Hunting/Hiking miles and miles and miles over SoCal terrain since I was a little kid.
    I started every August with new boots. Wore them for a few hours every day. So when Dove Season opened the fall hunting season I was ready.

These days I wear shoes Nov - May, sandals June - Sept.

Broken as I am, I can't even lace up my own boots anymore.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

As mentioned above, apply boot oil 3 or more times over as many days. Wear them for 4-6 hrs the first day and oil them again.

If this technique doesn't work, you've some unusual feet or boots.

Boolit Master
    Some of the boots out there these days made from Asian water buffalo hide never will break in. I purchased a pair of boots that were extremely comfy. When they wore out I purchased another pair just like them or so I thought. First pair made in USA second pair I noticed made in China. Second pair never did break in. They would soften up from sweat but then if you walked in wet grass they were hard as a rock when they dried. I tried all kinds of oils & creams. One last rant, the price of even the junk boots and shoes are outrageous.

Banned

Best boots I ever had were a pair the Army issued me when I was a cadet, the old regular lace ones that had the zig-zag pattern sole and cuts at the ankle to allow a little flew (they shined up real well too). I wore them some, but the first time putting them to a real test was an FTX on the Francis Marion National Forest and involved walking through swamps for a couple of days straight. Needless to say, they broke in to be the most comfortable pair of shoes I ever had and I wore them until they literally fell apart. I was still wearing them for field use long after they looked too bad to wear in garrison, ten years or so. Wish I could get another set like them now.

Boolit Grand Master

Yup, hate breaking in a new pair of boots. Used to hate breaking in new jeans too but now I buy the prewashed soft ones.

Boolit Master
    neatsfoot oil works the best,softens them up and protects the leather

Boolit Buddy

The pair replaced were Double H brand made in USA. They were over 10 years old and worn on the farm everday. The sole came unglued on the right boot and had been reglued twice. Never wore them in the mud or water. Just couldn't find my size and bought a pair made in El Savaldor at Rural King. Have a pair of American made Red wing cowboy boots and a pair of lace up insulated hunting boots that were bought in the late 60's or early 70's that I still wear occasionally. The Double H work boots were worn doing all the chores and jobs done on the farm. They were about $100.00 when bought new. When your feet hurt you hurt all over. These were slip on boots because don't care for lace up boots for daily wear. Am using oil on the new boots now and will continue until they soften up. The only time they got wet was in a heavy dew when weed eating early in the morning. Maybe my 72 yr old feet have flattened out, not as tough as once was.

Boolit Master

Assuming it's the right fitted boots, most probable break-in issue will be friction.
    I normally rub the inside usual contact areas (heel, big toe, pinky toe, & anywhere you feel any rubbing) with candle wax.

Mother in Laws like to chew on things...giv'er your boots...that'll make'em soft.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Git a pair of Cat wellingtons, notes say be careful of the neatsfoot oil and mink oil, will soften the stitching which may break.
    Whatever!

Hubbard's boot grease slathered on thick put boots in the car with the windows up on a hot day (on some newspaper) and then wear them. Hubbard's is the best boot grease extant IMO.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast