Boolit Master

Half Moon Club

Are you a member? I got my Half Moon Club membership today:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190713_210426_360.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	44.8 KB 
ID:	245204

I got a TC Encore 308 for trial, after rough zeroing I drove to a longer range. Started shooting a group from bags,the fifth round flew the action open,swinging the rifle to my face and the Karl Kaps scope permanently marked my forehead.

I'm 56 and have fired like half a million rounds from a bench. I though this won't happen anymore but well... I'm in the club now.

One stich only. After Doc, I drove back to the range to see my group and it was not a good group at all. I left some clays on the berm and will go kill them tomorrow with a Normal Rifle. My first time shooting an Encore probably became my last time,too. Better stick to what I know.

Boolit Master

Sorry to hear of your misfortune.

First Time T/C Shooters often "crawl up" the scope. I think the Encore makes it worse, because of the increased recoil.

It's often hard to get a good sight picture from a Pistol Scope, until you get used to the idea. Using a low powered scope makes it easier. I learned on a 2X Bushnell, made it a lot simpler to upgrade to a 2.5X8 Powered Scope.
    Don't give up.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master

Got mine a few years ago. Sighting in my sons Rossi 243 on a table that was too low for me. Talk about embarrassing... I had already warned him twice not to crowd the scope.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Boolit Grand Master

Have see that cut several times. Told a friend showing me a rifle the scope need moved forward a little. He said He'd try it like it was first. First shot he was bleeding and a cut over his eye. Ruger Number 1 in 30-06. Hit him pretty hard. Ive seen cuts from 338 win mags that were really nasty ( remember the "mountain rifle" craze years ago) Light rifles in heavy calibers are a sure biter

Boolit Master
    This is a short barrel rifle, has a rifle stock & rifle scope.

Action opening when firing is not good...

Got mine in 68 when I was 15 and crowded the scope on a friends dads 300 win mag that I shot on a dare. Have loved the hard kickers every since.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Master
    A young boy wanted to shoot my scoped .454 Encore pistol. I didn't have anything but some heavy .45 Colt loads. I asked his father who was standing next to him if he thought the boy could handle it. Dad said yes, so I loaded a round and told the kid that the eye relief on a pistol scope was different than a rifle, and he needed to hold the pistol at arm's length. Dad said that he had a rifle and could shoot quite well. I looked and the kid had the scope entirely too close to his face. I told him again and he pushed the pistol out a ways. I turned my head to say something to his dad, turned back and the kid had the scope almost touching his face. Before I could say anything the fired the round and quickly handed me the pistol. There was a lot of blood coming from his eyebrow. His dad just laughed and dug out a handkerchief.

It took a while to dig all of meat, hair and blood from the scope....
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Buddy

TomW some of that kinetic learning experience that some people use when they don't believe what you tell them.

Boolit Grand Master

Mine was just a few years ago - the 500S&W barrel on my Encore. Scope came off that barrel and went on another! Open sights work for that - it's a short range thumper anyway.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    Did you get that while wearing glasses/shooting glasses? My broad brim hat and mandatory glasses have taken some recoil hits but saved me from cuts. The eyeglasses protect as well as correct, why I never went for Lasix.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MostlyLeverGuns View Post
    Did you get that while wearing glasses/shooting glasses?
    Me? Yes,I had proper shooting glasses on. Because the action violently opened during firing, the stock fell from the rear bag and hit the table causing the scope hit higher than usual. Figure how an open rifle pivots backwards.

I'm lucky it hit high... no idea where the brass went.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	one shot coin - Copy.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	28.2 KB 
ID:	245230

That's what I received when I got scoped

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Petander View Post
    ---- Because the action violently opened during firing -----
    Seems like most of the responders are missing this bit of info. Any idea what broke, or is broken, to cause the action to open??
    Glad you weren't hurt worse!

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
    - Henry S. Haskins in “Meditations in Wall Street”

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." ...Unknown

Boolit Buddy
    I personally have not drew blood,but several years back the Governor at the time ,Bob Wise half mooned himself on the local news as he was lining up his gun for deer season.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by obssd1958 View Post
    Seems like most of the responders are missing this bit of info. Any idea what broke, or is broken, to cause the action to open??
    Glad you weren't hurt worse!
    Thank you,yes I was lucky.

When the action opens like that you lose all the support from the falling stock. The scope could have hit anywhere...

I was only test driving the gun,it will go back to the shop tomorrow. Google found out this is not the only TC that opens up when it's fired. I lost my interest - but the scope is a keeper.

Boolit Master

...and here I thought this thread was about hanging one half of one's derriere out to Half Moon someone else.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

I ain"t say saying nothing cause i am in double digits on Weaver Bites.

BB

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I did this once with a 444. And learn a lession. Fortunately it was the only time for me.

Boolit Grand Master

Ha, I thought this was going to be about shooting 45 ACP revolvers! LOL! But yes, I'm also a member of that club. As are my Wife, a Son, and a few friends. I never got stitches but thinking back on it, I probably should have.

Boolit Master
    My .270 NEF used to come open. I think it was because I wasn't paying attention to my handloads and failed to measure the brass a few times. That was one rifle that needed that cases trimmed every time.

I still can't remember what happened to it........
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast