Lee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Load DataRepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything

Thread: Anyone have a Plasma Table

Anyone have a Plasma Table

As I near retirement I've got an opportunity to acquire a PlasmaCam 4' table with all the accessories except the air compressor for a very good price. This machine, hopefully, will allow me (once I get the feel for it) to earn some side money to help me out in my last few years. It's something that I would enjoy and be less like a job. It would be great to work for myself at home for a change. Although no very proficient with computers, it does look like I could learn to use this machine in a short amount of time to perform basic operations which I could sell.

Anyone else out there play around with one? Any tips for a beginner?

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Master

a few people around here have them and make signs and yard art mostly. if you want to do more serious stuff you might look into a water jet table, the bigger fab shops use them for cutting sprockets and other critical parts. basically if your just going to play and have fun a plasma table would be fine, just check and make sure you dont have a boatload of competition if you want to make money with it, our area is overrun with them.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

We're not overrun by them, in fact one shop in Waco has a 6 month waiting period just to look at your request. I figure I could make generic signs like military emblems and other signs readily available online and delve into specialty work once I get more experience. This would be a hobby but who knows, if I landed one small, steady contract it would make me happy.

Slim

Boolit Grand Master

As long as your personality is OK with doing repetative work - many multiples of the same thing. That is typically what sells. The creative one off stuff is spotty, and it seems that what I like isn't the most popular!
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

I just want to keep myself in beer, whiskey, and cigars. The rest will be for SOHMBO. I'm looking forward to learning a new craft.

Slim

Boolit Master

you will want a powder coat sprayer set up and a large oven if you do yard art or nick nacks, people want pretty colors not rust.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master
    What does a machine like this cost, new or used?
    East Tennessee

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    Quote Originally Posted by slim1836 View Post
    I just want to keep myself in beer, whiskey, and cigars. The rest will be for SOHMBO. I'm looking forward to learning a new craft.

Slim
    I would say go for it we all need something to do to keep us going.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by snowwolfe View Post
    What does a machine like this cost, new or used?
    New ones I looked at were $10k for a 4x8 table...

Boolit Buddy
    I have a 5x12 CNC table with a lathe, that runs on Mach 3 program, that I want to learn as I age into retirement. The retired vet that owned it before, was making lawn dices on it, and has programs on it, for making racing car parts.

Go for it. You can always sell it too. Yes, powdercoating would be necessary. Make your own oven.... not that expensive to do.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by slim1836 View Post

Slim
    I've seen several mentions of folks putting gear motors on them and making them computer controlled. I'm not sure what kind you are thinking of, maybe it's there already. But anyway, the repetitive boring stuff others mention is handled by the computer in those cases. I would put one to use if I had one, but I admit I'd probably not need it but 3-4 times a year.
    Be interesting to see, if you do get one. Maybe I can't live without one and just didn't know it...

Computer controlled stuff, in my case a 3D printer, is sure neat in what it is doing for the manufacturer to customer relationships. Being able to customize stuff with the click of a mouse means no longer having to buy generic mass-produced stuff and doing your own custom work on it, if the change isn't big you can get the seller to do it and many are now making a business of such custom work that is more affordable than in the tool-and-die and pattern maker days. I was trying to get stuff done 25 years ago that was beyond my ability and machine shops wouldn't talk to me because it was too small a job. Now I could probably find 50 guys on Etsy that would do it for a price I'd be willing to pay. (Of course, now I have a welder and such, so I do it myself!)

Bulldogger
    Last edited by Bulldogger; 07-15-2019 at 09:51 AM. Reason: spellun