Titan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWidenersRepackbox
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Remington 1858, "round ball" rammer?

Boolit Master
    You have the direct opposite problem of many Pietta '58 owners who want to use conical bullets. Their solution has been to go to VTI gun parts and order an Uberti plunger and swap it out for their Pietta one. They all said they fit fine and they just remove the one screw, swap the parts and put the screw back in. I'll bet if you visit the '58 Remington.com website, introduce yourself as a new shooter, explain your situation, and offer to swap plungers that all it will cost you is postage each way. I hope this helps. GF

I use pietta 1851/1861 .36 calibers and i always switch out the plungers with uberti plungers due to shooting conicals and need a pplunger that doesnt distort the tip of the bullet. They are exact fits on the 1861 models but the 1851 uberti models are a hair thicker so you need to sand the body of the pietta slightly so that the plunget slides in....not much sanding is needed at all, you can sand down the plunger instead but then you remove the color case hardening. Im not sure if its the same for remingtons but its worth a try. Although the JB weld option will work just as well in this case of going from a conical plunger to round ball plunger.

Boolit Master
    My old Navy Arms Remy (1977) had one of those rams. It did affect accuracy out past 50yd. I used a round dremel tool to make it round. After that I could get paper plate size groups at 100yd.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12