Inline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2
Load Data Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No need for the woods?

Boolit Master

We live in a big clearing in the woods in one of the top counties for deer hunting in Ohio. It's a rare day when we don't see at least 1 deer. Sometimes it's 15 at a time. The 2nd day of deer gun season there were 10 does in my front yard at 7 am. We have an overpopulation and they can be hard on the plants and the small garden. I spray repellent on the wife's flowers but with the all the rain this year it gets washed right off. Boy do they like hostas.

Our drive is a quarter mile long S curve and if we home after dark we immediately hit the high beams. There are deer all over and we always have some run in front of us.

With all the bother they cause we still get a lot of enjoyment from watching them. There are lots of fawns now and my wife has taken some great pictures.

People ask me where is good place to hunt around here. I tell my front porch in the morning and the back deck in the evening.
    Chuck

Boolit Master
    I had a really bad hunting season last year, saw zero deer in the woods. This was a first for me so this year has to be better. At least it can't be worse. How could one see less than zero! Even now I'm planning a maintenance trip to the camp in anticipation of this coming season.

Fire ants kill anything laying on the ground. Quail nest on ground and they eliminated the quail in the deep south. Hunted them when I was young in MS but by early 80s they were gone. Do have some here in NW Arkansas, and thankfully no fire ants..... yet. Too cold in winter. But they do adapt

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I love the woods,I’m in them every day. I have a new partner that is the most diligent,fun I’ve had in years. Seeing the world through a 10 week old French Brittany puppy’s eyes , as almost as good as seeing it with a child.
    Meet Mr Paxton Sur Le Delevan. Best bird dogs I’ve ever had, they smoke the big dogs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0102DC1F-5A70-44F7-9FAA-8E43A4AA7BE4.jpg  

Boolit Master

I live in a small town of 1200 and the deer are like rabbits. Drives my dog nuts, lol.

I pulled into work one early morning a couple of years ago and snapped this picture of a nice buck in the parking lot...

Attachment 245387
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    We have deer in the yard all the time. And occasionally bear.

Attachment 245392
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    We have deer in the yard all the time. And occasionally bear.

Attachment 245392
    So do we. Last year I looked out my office window and saw about a 2 year old black bear standing on its back legs looking in the window at the computer screen. I have counted up to 14 deer at one time on the back lawn. As I am typing this there is a large Mule doe on the bank behind the house.
    R.D.M.

Boolit Master
    Haven't seen any quail around here in 40 years. Back in the early 60's I loved to hear then call, especially in the evening. We called the bob whites because that's what they sounded like. Always liked to hear whippoorwills too but don't hear then much anymore either, maybe it's just bad hearing.

We have resident deer on the farm. We let our 18 acres go back wild other than a path I keep mowed back to the rifle range. Plenty of folks round here turn up their noses at our property. Saplings and briars ain't attractive I spose. I've seen bobcat, grey fox, deer, turkey, occasional quail, squirrel, and rabbit, and seen a snipe once. Not enough quail to hunt. Seen a coyote but it's not common to hear them close.

Critters do love a mowed path for some reason. Deer seem to know we like them, I commonly shoot with them in the yard. They pay it no mind. Got a doe with twins this year. Ain't got to touch one yet.

We don't let others intrude or hunt our property, and only occasionally I'll walk around on it in other than normal spots. Although I do want to put a path in around the fenceline some day.

I too feel closer to God when in the woods than in church.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12