MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLoad DataReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackbox
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Automating bullet sizer?

Boolit Master
    Using an L plate was what i had in my head to give more travel, will be an interesting project. The only solenoids i managed to get my hands on were from old washing machines, not sure on the pullig power or effective throw they have though. I used one on my master caster, but the EMF it produced, messed with my controller.

I didn't have a tap when i made mine, i was lucky enough that the plate i needed threading fitted into my lathe, so i cut it that way, then i knew it was perfectly straight too. I have only ever run Lee sizing dies, i did make a few extras out of 4140 to size some .40s, they did the job.

So finally got the bugs worked out and my Bulletfeeder hooked up. Man this is going to be so nice not having to pull the handle anymore. Amazing how lazy we get huh, when I first built the sizer and could just sit there and pull the handle on it I was amazed, now I got even lazier and didn't want to pull the handle anymore so I automated it LOL, guess the next step in laziness would be to just buy bullets but thats not going to happen.

I turned down the current sensing setting in the VFD for the overload setting so if it jams it shuts down the motor pretty quickly and I even added a stop button to hold in my hand while its running just like my Ammobot, if I see something wrong I can stop it instantly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ruiox5M07Qw

Boolit Master
    Great job, looks like it's running really well. I spent ages sizing my hand, after i built mine, i can never go back, it took a long time to make and get running right, but now i can't go back.

I have a few plans of modifications to do to get it running better, they will happen when i get a few hours free.

Boolit Master
    Outstanding...
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Buddy
    Will this VFD power a 480 VAC 3 phase motor? It’s says 220 3 phase in the description.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/VARIABLE-FR...C/401623067234

Boolit Master
    Check your 3 phase motor, see if it can be wired in detla and not star, star is generally 415/480v star is 220/240 i believe.

Hopefully you will have a label where the wires connect to show how to wire in star or delta to give yo more options. If that fails, some VFDs give the option of 220 or 480v, i know mine did, but i suspect they will be more expensive.

Boolit Buddy

Boolit Master
    Looks like a good choice, it can be wired in start or delta, the delta is the low voltage one shown on the left side of the plate image.

I also use that VFD and it seems to be working fine.

Boolit Master
    I can't believe they are so cheap, every one i have seen available over here is well over 100 bucks, brand named ones.. forget it, stupidly expensive. For the work we are using them for, they don't need to be fancy

Boolit Bub
    Sorry for my silence. Been doing a bunch of things at once and lost track of this project.

So all of this stuff is really gibberish to me, anyhow, can something like this work for me? It does not have a gearbox so will still need to see if I can acquire one. I should ask though, is it necessary? I have done a straight conversion and the USD price will be roughly $52.

https://www.electramo.com/single-phase/ml-632-4-45

Code: ML000.18D4F2
    kW: 0.18
    Poles/RPM: 4 / 1500
    Article: 1 PH
    Supply: 230V/1Ph/50Hz

Boolit Master
    There is no reason why not, i assume you have 230v and not 110?

The only advantage of the three phase motors discussed earlier is the fact you can use a VFD to alter the speed and if it jams up, it can be set to just stop and not keep pushing and possibly be damaged. You can also make it soft start, so it turns on slowly, instead of just full speed as you flick the switch.

I like having the option of speed adjustment, as is if i'm sizing longer projectiles, i can run it slower to allow the projectile more time to drop into the sizing die and not be caught in the slider. It may run slower, but still has pretty much the same torque as when it's running at full speed.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazza View Post
    There is no reason why not, i assume you have 230v and not 110?

The only advantage of the three phase motors discussed earlier is the fact you can use a VFD to alter the speed and if it jams up, it can be set to just stop and not keep pushing and possibly be damaged. You can also make it soft start, so it turns on slowly, instead of just full speed as you flick the switch.

I like having the option of speed adjustment, as is if i'm sizing longer projectiles, i can run it slower to allow the projectile more time to drop into the sizing die and not be caught in the slider. It may run slower, but still has pretty much the same torque as when it's running at full speed.
    Thanks for the feedback. Yup 220v, not 110v, I also like the idea of the VFD. Might as well go all the way and do it properly

I did find a 3 phase on the distributor website here in SA. Specs are as follows:
    Code: 1M000.18D4F2
    kW: 0.18
    Poles/RPM: 4 / 1500
    Article: IE1
    Supply: 230-400V/3Ph/50Hz

I am guessing this should work? With regards to the VFD, do I need to look out for anything in particular? and should I try to get a gearbox to attach to the motor?

Boolit Bub
    I could go for a 0.25kw for $12 more. Will that be overkill?

Boolit Master
    Sorry, didn't remember you were in SA, so obviously you have real power down there (when there isn't a storm to take it out for a week...) That sure was a messed up time of year for you guys.

I'm never sure what the electrical KW to HP ratings are, mine is a 1/4 hp, so i can't tell you. Yet bigger isn't a bad idea, especially if you run a VFD as you can set the max current. You don't want it jamming up and breaking something.

The biggest issue can be mating the motor to the gear box, ideally find something that is an ISO standard that you know you can just slap a gear box to. Mine came as a unit, so i knew they were fine, i was told if needed a bigger motor, the motor was an ISO standard so swapping it would be easy.

Just little things to make sure you don't spend more than you need to.

Check gumtree as well, something may be available. Mine was used, but worked just fine.

Boolit Bub
    Sorry, didn't remember you were in SA, so obviously you have real power down there (when there isn't a storm to take it out for a week...) That sure was a messed up time of year for you guys.

I'm never sure what the electrical KW to HP ratings are, mine is a 1/4 hp, so i can't tell you. Yet bigger isn't a bad idea, especially if you run a VFD as you can set the max current. You don't want it jamming up and breaking something.

The biggest issue can be mating the motor to the gear box, ideally find something that is an ISO standard that you know you can just slap a gear box to. Mine came as a unit, so i knew they were fine, i was told if needed a bigger motor, the motor was an ISO standard so swapping it would be easy.

Just little things to make sure you don't spend more than you need to.

Check gumtree as well, something may be available. Mine was used, but worked just fine.
    Yeah power has been a challenge but we haven't seen load shedding for some time now, fingers crossed. Its not really a matter of a storm but more maintenance at the power plants. This has been deferred for a few years and obviously its starting to catch up with them now.

1/4HP is about 0.18kw , so the first option is a direct fit in terms of power. I will see if the distributor has gearboxes that'll fit that specific motor.

thanks for the tip on gumtree, I will give it try.

Boolit Master
    I have had no issues sizing up to 135 grains with that motor setup, but the 158 SWC are more of a challenge, so going a bit bigger may be helpful. It all goes on the size if the wheel or arm you run off the gear box too, the bigger it is, the more power power you will need but you really don't need lots of movement to get the job done. My gear box is 28:1

Lets hope they have it all sorted out in time for summer, you guys sure get some silly temperatures for far too long, you need AC, so lots of load.

They did the same up here in Brisbane, they took all the money out and put nothing into infrastructure and wondered why things failed.... Where i moved to recently, we have had multiple power outages during the day, no idea why, but we still pay about $1.25 per day for the privilege to connect to the grid to get power when needed.... I thought we paid for stable power? seems not.

We haven't had load shedding since i was a kid, i hope it never comes to that, or i'll be out buying a generator

Boolit Bub
    So the motor, box and VFD was delivered yesterday. Managed to get 0.25kw motor with a 50:1 gearbox. There’s a few things I need to have fabricated which will be slow but hope to get the automation done in a few weeks.

Certainly wasn’t cheap, but decided to buy once, cry once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    At 50:1 it will run a bit slower but have more torque, not a bad choice.

When running, it will be great, do show us how it turns out

Boolit Bub
    At 50:1 it will run a bit slower but have more torque, not a bad choice.

When running, it will be great, do show us how it turns out
    Yes, will do so. Is there anyway to figure out max RPM? If so how would I go about calculating it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast