Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxReloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2
Wideners Inline Fabrication

Thread: Catalytic Converter

Catalytic Converter

Short story, my truck is not legal to register in California. When I bought it, it already had a turbo back exhaust without a catalytic converter (truck has always been in an emission testing free state). I can’t just go buy one, due to our wonderful federal govt (EPA). I was hoping another member ripped the stock exhaust out of their Ford Superduty and has it collecting dust in the garage, and may be willing to part with the catalytic converter.

What I need specifically: a Cat from a 2003-2007 F250 or F350 Ford Powerstroke Diesel. Gift, trade, or outright purchase...I can work with any scenario.
    I serve Jesus exclusively...do you?

.45-70 Marlin 1895 GBL
    .30-06 Win. M70

I finally obtained a feedback post!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...80#post4182480

Boolit Master
    Good luck, every two years I had to rebuild my old 4x4 Chevy half ton till I got rid of it. It’s one of the reasons I said good riddance to the state and have no intention to ever go back.

In the oldie days folks used to run over to Nevada or Arizona to get parts like this.

Is your truck a Federal or California model which may also make a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by metricmonkeywrench View Post
    Good luck, every two years I had to rebuild my old 4x4 Chevy half ton till I got rid of it. It’s one of the reasons I said good riddance to the state and have no intention to ever go back.

In the oldie days folks used to run over to Nevada or Arizona to get parts like this.

Is your truck a Federal or California model which may also make a difference.
    Federal I think...it’s most definitely not a California edition. Prior to me buying it, it spent its life in Northern Washington and Canada.

.45-70 Marlin 1895 GBL
    .30-06 Win. M70

I've gotten new aftermarket ones that passed the emissions test installed at the local muffler shop.

The last one I had done was about $125, but it solved the problem and lasted several years.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

Since when did diesels have cats? I've had several Older GM diesel trucks and never had a cat on any of them are sure its not a DPF? (Diesel particulate filter) I guess since your in Ca. anything is possible.
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

You can get used OE converters on Ebay. Install it and take it in for testing and see if it passes. They made 6.0 trucks specifically for sale in California.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-F250-3...sAAOSwm-BdHiaW

Quote Originally Posted by merlin101 View Post
    Since when did diesels have cats? I've had several Older GM diesel trucks and never had a cat on any of them are sure its not a DPF? (Diesel particulate filter) I guess since your in Ca. anything is possible.
    Depends on where the truck is bought new (state emissions) but some (3/4 and 1 ton) have had cats since the 90's.

Merlin, it’s nothing more than a big round can with honeycomb filler. It does nothing to reduce emissions. It was Ford’s way of prolonging the inevitable.

.45-70 Marlin 1895 GBL
    .30-06 Win. M70

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    I've gotten new aftermarket ones that passed the emissions test installed at the local muffler shop.

The last one I had done was about $125, but it solved the problem and lasted several years.

The problem here is that they have to be OEM. Starting a couple years ago, part of the diesel smog test includes a visual inspection. I can fake everything else (I’m incredibly not “stock”), but I can’t fake the lack of that big ole ugly can under there.

.45-70 Marlin 1895 GBL
    .30-06 Win. M70

Boolit Buddy
    You will have to get the correct cat which has the ca approved number etched on the cat for the specific year and model. They will check the numbers.
    Find out the exact cat number you need before buying. I am not sure if Walker cats have an approved replacement. That maybe the way to go.

Boolit Master

I purchased a 2005 Dodge 2500 new, in 2005. It's equipped with the Cummins Diesel.

It has a catalytic converter on it from the factory. No DPF (those didn't start until later, about 2008).

I still own the pickup, and it still has the original cat on it.

Make sure it is welded to the frame somewhere, if it’s easy bolt on/off ,they are popular for thieves to recycle for $80-100 and 15 minutes under your truck.