Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRepackbox
Inline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Titan Reloading Wideners

Thread: Got me a 45-70 H&R Buffalo classic model 1871

Boolit Buddy

Got me a 45-70 H&R Buffalo classic model 1871

I was garage sale shopping when I came across this guy with a 32" 20:1 barrel. I love my Marlin lever bush gun but I always wanted a single shot with a longer barrel to see how accurate I could make it be.

I paid $350, it seems to be well maintained. Is that ballpark for this sort of rifle? The original price was much higher but I was pretty set on my offer. It was not like I really needed another gun

Is the action as strong as a Ruger No. 1?

With that barrel length/twist, what bullet weight should I start experimenting with?

Boolit Master

Not as strong as a Ruger but when you get a 400 grain bullet to 1800 fps or more you will likely not want to take much higher.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

I'd say you made a very good deal.

I've paid 400$ for just a barrel when I wanted the caliber.

BC worth more IMO than straight H&R or NEF (in my opinion)

Be happy, find a load that gives you decent accuracy that your shoulder won't complain about too much.

Banned
    That was a good price a couple of years ago. They are harder to find now and more expensive. $350? you done good. They won't make them again. MAAAAYbe Henry will put a single shot long barrel on the market but it will be more like $600+

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Don1357 View Post
    I was garage sale shopping when I came across this guy with a 32" 20:1 barrel. I love my Marlin lever bush gun but I always wanted a single shot with a longer barrel to see how accurate I could make it be.

I paid $350, it seems to be well maintained. Is that ballpark for this sort of rifle? The original price was much higher but I was pretty set on my offer. It was not like I really needed another gun

Is the action as strong as a Ruger No. 1?

With that barrel length/twist, what bullet weight should I start experimenting with?
    Actually, according to several sources (including NEF/H&R), the action is rated for Ruger #1 level loads. The problem is weight and buttstock design. The rifle is too light, and that sharp buttplate will beat you into submission long before you reach Ruger #1 level loads.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Grand Master
    I might put a warm Marlin load in a BC, but I'd never run a Ruger #1 load in there. A hinged break open isn't a falling block. YMMV

Boolit Master
    Did you give the guy a kiss?

I believe that you got a great deal!
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

That's actually the only 45-70 I want and I'd definitely pay that for one if I was looking.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Most of what I shoot is mellow loads but eventually I would like to take this moose hunting. I would like to work some accurate heavy hitters for those suckers.

Just to be clear, I'm not looking for max for max sakes but the deep end is par for the course when going after moose.

Boolit Master
    I haven't shot mine much, but I filled my buttstock with lead(found a piece of thin steel mop handle that fit and poured the lead in it)... it is heavy now and doubt that recoil will be much of an issue... but again, I am a "moose". I also mounted a scope on mine for the aging eyes.
    Perhaps my learning skills have diminished in my senior years.. 50 years ago I could read something once and then "have it"... Now I read it about three times, do it a couple of times and then... "have it" only about half the time.

Boolit Buddy
    Good deal!

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I've had one for quite a few yrs and like it just fine. Never did hot rod it and have a #1 if I want to get beat up. It's more accurate than I can be with a Williams peep on it.

Boolit Master
    They are what they are but something about them made me end up with two. One is still NIB and the other I played with until it drifted into the dark corners. I ran some fluffy Trap loads and was a lot of enjoyment and shot pretty well. Feeling froggy I took the blue box of hand loads for one of my 1895"s, 300 XTP with 52 of 3031. This load is about 80% in Marlin land, I will not recommend this load. First round, Oh Boy! Manned up (tough AND stupid here at times) the sting and stutter from twenty lasted for about a day and a half if I remember correctly. I did contact H&R when they were purchased to confirm load ability and they were very optimistic and said they would handle top Marlin and bottom Ruger loads all day long. I have shot big stuff my whole life and if I may a suggestion, you want to be about 1600-1800 fps tops with that curved metal plate, promise!

Boolit Buddy
    I did some research and it has the SB2 alloy steel receiver. Interestingly enough while as stated a hinged break open isn't a falling block, apparently this hinged break open is strong enough that they offer a similar setup in 500 magnum that pushes up to 60,000 PSI.

Not that I want to do that. Most likely I'll stick to warm modern lever loads.

Boolit Master
    I have one and so does a friend of mine, and we shoot them a lot. I have some good loads that I worked up with 300 gr JHP's, JSP's and 350gr. of the same! I will get back to you tomorrow, and though these loads are warmish, they are not maximum, and will shoot a ragged hole at 100yds with a scope. These bullets listed will do great on moose, and I have shot 20+ rounds with a t shirt on, and not have any problem, and I am kinda recoil sensitive. JUst hold it tight like you love it and it will do fine!

Boolit Buddy

I have had two from the days when they cost $169. That was a while ago. I wanted to use them so i lopped off that curved plate and put on a Sims Limbsaver pad that made using it fun. A 405 cast at 1600 fps is more than enough for the forest rats we call Adirondack whitetail and will suffice for a 200# black bear as well. Why suffer when you don't have to. A 300 grain cast at 1200 fps can be shot all day long.

Boolit Buddy
    I bought one of those 45-70 H&R BC rifles back when they came out. The 32" bbl god my attention so I bought it. I already had two others with 26" bbls in the caliber, and so I tried them all three out and found that the 32" bbl had no effect on better groups. They all three shot the same. I sold the BC and kept the two shorter bbl models. Still have them today and settled on cast 405 gr bullet in front of 36.o gr or IMR3031. Medium trapdoor load that will shoot fantastic and kill anything in North America. Wallacem in Ga