Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad Data
RepackboxInline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky

Thread: How will this do? First timer

How will this do? First timer

I'm loading 45 Colt black powder as my first loads. I'm simply pan lubing the bullets with 60/40 beeswax to olive oil and then placing them over a 2.5cc Lee dipper which does compress the powder a bit. I then place a decently aggressive crimp on the bullets.

Should I do anything different or can I proceed ahead with more?

In Remembrance
    What does your bullet weigh? Any idea of the powder charge weight? Original loads were 28-40 grains of BP and 225-255 gr. boolits. What will you be shooting these in? Don't take this as gospel, but in MY OPINION, you should be OK if shooting in a modern firearm. If you were loading powder charges that were large enough to swell the case on seating the boolit, then no.
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

250gr and it will be shot out of modern Uberti lever actions and SAA clones. Not sure of the weight, I believe the 2.5cc scoop is 36gr?

Boolit Grand Master

That round looks good. What brand and granulation of black powder are you using? This will have a direct bearing in how much compression you may need. Swiss likes little compression Olde Ensforde falls midway and Goex likes the most. I would try some and see how they shoot

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    That round looks good. What brand and granulation of black powder are you using? This will have a direct bearing in how much compression you may need. Swiss likes little compression Olde Ensforde falls midway and Goex likes the most. I would try some and see how they shoot
    New Goex ffg.

I tried loading up some 2.2cc scoops but I was worried I wouldn't get enough compression. I did fire off one and it seemed fine and put a hell of a smile on my face.

I will say this, I have never heard the 'crunch' everyone talks about.

Boolit Grand Master

There are some that compress with a die to the point the cases ( usually longer rifle cases swell and wont chamber). I let the numbers and accuracy tell me when its right. I chronograph my test loads watching velocity, Extreme Spread and Standard Deviation. Starting at no compression no airspace and working up from there as compression increases velocity increases ES and SD numbers get lower and groups tend to get better. fouling tends to lighten some also. With a good load its nit unusual to see single digit SDs.
    You might consider adding a .030 card wad between bullet and powder

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    Looks good to me.

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    Why??

I believe ... if not mistaken ... 2.2cc =35 or so grains Ol E 2F powder and the 2.5 = 38 to 40 grains of the same powder.

Totally reasonable powder charge! 255 grain boolit and down will give a heck of a smile EVERYTIME you squeeze the trigger.

I doubt you could ever load enough 2F black powder of any kind to be a danger in any SAFE & FIT rifle or revolver

Concerning the card ... I never use em under a proper fitting boolit. In rifle cartridges of 60 + grains powder, the card helps with blowby and bore scraping as well as boolit base protection. In revolver cartridges however, I never had any luck with wads or cards.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Total waste of time!
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
    Total waste of time!
    Nobody will know that until they try it for accuracy ..... juice box or card wads are easy to make and simple to use ..definitely inprove accuracy in MY BP rifle loads (38/55,45/70,45/75) ....... have not tested it in pistol length cases (44/40)