WidenersLoad DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
RepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything

Thread: WTB: Lee boolits ....(Contemplating casting.)

WTB: Lee boolits ....(Contemplating casting.)

Been loading again for a few years now and have been sticking with plated bullets primarily because of some of the many problems folks run into when loading 9mm cast. Honestly I just wanted to get restarted loading again and become familiar with my tools, components and the way my reloads performed and limiting the number of hassles or setbacks. Long ago I loaded only store bought Speer or Hornady cast lead .358 WC or SWC

Well over these past couple years I have added a couple 380's and 45acp into the mix and have now been thinking of trying to cast for these two calibers. Hoping they will be less finicky than the 9mm.

Right now I have zero casting equipment so I will be starting new and as of yet I haven't sourced a steady supply of lead. WW are scarce in these parts as they have been banned in Illinois for years and the recyclers won't sell as lead here is listed as a hazardous material.

So aside from buying equipment and sourcing lead I was looking to see if anyone is casting any of these 3 lee molds and then if you would be interested in parting with a few so I can test and see if they will even work well in my guns before I start buying molds.

These are pretty common molds I am told but what I am interested in are these Lee;
    358-102 SW
    356-95 RF
    356-102-1R

So if anyone is willing to work with me on these please PM me and I will be happy to compensate for your effort.

Banned
    Brownells website, have the Lee 4-20 pot on sale for $63.99 with free shipping code -- VBD

I don't use those molds so can't comment on them

Thanks, I am only about an hour away from Titan Reloading so I will most likely be buying everything from them.

Boolit Master
    My last couple of lead scores have been through craigslist. There's a guy on Milwaukee Craigslist with ingots for $2 a lbs as of June 22nd. Not a great price but if you check once a week or so you should find some eventually. The key is to buy as much as you can. I don’t even deal with people selling 100 lbs or less. I've been able to get a couple of 200 to 400 lbs scores in central Iowa over the last couple of years and the most I've paid is $1.50 and that was for linotype.

I've never heard of the 358-102 SW... Do you mean 358-105 SWC? I've got some of those and a variety 45 ACP bullets or larger 9mm bullets if interested.

Moderator Emeritus

I moved your post and renamed your title. A WTB post needs to be in this forum.

If you want to start a discussion about casting or loading cast, please do that in a different section as we don't allow general discussion on S&S posts.

Good Luck, I don't have any of the boolits you are looking for, but if I did, I'd surely send you some. Also consider the Lee 358-125RF for 9mm or 38 spl, it is a great one for either caliber, but it's probably too heavy and too long for 380, which is what I suspect you are thinking of loading for. Also, maybe when you start thinking of loading cast for your 45...I got a few molds for that caliber, and could help you out with some of those boolits.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

I've a PILE of the 356-95 RF that I have used in my 9mm. They are sized to .356 (good for the .380 which I expect these are for) but not so much for 9mm.
    Most are already powder coated, ( I may have some that are not, I'll have to check)
    PM me with what you need.

Boolit Buddy
    I've found the best place to source lead (among other things) is the scrap metal yard. I usually buy wheel weighs for .70-1 dollar per pound. sometimes I get lucky and find printer's type or tin. to them, it's all non-ferrous and priced the same. In my opinion, the lee 6 cavity molds are the better buy (they're only a little more than twice the 2 cavities and MUCH better quality). lee handles for the 6 cavity molds are cheap and you can easily use one or two pair of handles for multiple molds. plus, the time saved is tremendous. I am beginning to hate one and two cavity molds. also, if you are used to shooting plated bullets, I'd strongly consider powder coating. you can get into it with a minimal investment and it's WAY better than traditional lubed bullets.

Boolit Buddy
    I shoot Lee 95’s exclusively in all my 9 pistols. I shoot at least 15,000 per year in competition and they are extremely accurate so don’t let anyone tell you otherwise! I shoot powder coated (range scrap lead) from 1100 - 1650 FPS depending on the pistol and discipline. I’ve used the 105 round nose and they aren’t as accurate as the 95’s. BTW, I size mine to .357” and shoot them in .355” barrels.

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    I moved your post and renamed your title. A WTB post needs to be in this forum.

If you want to start a discussion about casting or loading cast, please do that in a different section as we don't allow general discussion on S&S posts..
    Folks, Per JonB suggestion let's please stay within the rules and not continue the casting conversation here OK. I will start a new topic and hopefully JonB or another mod can move the responses there To help keep everything in order.

I have PM'ed responses to a couple of you already so hoping we can work something out.

Kevin

Everyone please. the new topic is here; http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...71#post4685771 so please move comment there and only post offers here.

Boolit Buddy
    I'd be willing to send you some samples of each of the 356's you listed. I'll have to check my stock in the morning but should be able to send between 50 and 100 of each. These will be powder coated and sized to .356. Shoot me a pm in interested.

Boolit Master
    https://www.mp-molds.com/media/com_e...py-500x500.png

I have some of MPs 356-93s which I have found work great in my SW Bodyguard and my wife’s Cold Government 380s. I know you were looking for Lee designs but if you want I could send you some samples. If interested send me a PM and I’d be glad to help.

You folk are fantastic. I have responded and sent PM's to a few of you on your offers. Can't say thank you enough.

StuBach, thank you for the offer I think I will look into the MP mold as I am not familiar. The reason I picked these three bullet molds is because they are easy to find and inexpensive to buy. I know there are better mold examples out there but they are also pretty pricey and seeing as I have zero experience casting. Well.

So far have offers for 105gr SWC and the 95gr RF but no 1R Round Nose. Is that an unpopular design?
    Again thank you all so very much!

In Remembrance
    PM coming.
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

Boolit Master
    No problem at all. Always eager to help. Miha’s molds are works of art but are a bit harder to get a handle on when new to casting. My first brass mold was the one I offered and it took a while to get a handle one.

Best recommendation I can offer is getting an Iron Mold (Lyman, ideal, Saeco, etc.) single cavity to start learning. In my experience they are super easy to get going. Never been fond of my Lee or NOE aluminum molds but the irons are still my favorites and easiest and most forgiving. Single and double cavities can be found pretty readily on eBay or at gun shows.

45 might also be an easier caliber to start with as the larger cavity makes fill out easier when your first learning about alloy vs temp factors.

Stu, thank you for the time to respond. I take any direct information and impressions as a positive thing. If we could, let's move this conversation to the new thread so we don't get into trouble.

Ohio Rusty, I got your PM and tried to respond but your mailbox is full. Thank You Sir!