Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWideners
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision

Thread: Winchester 1902 .22LR Bolt Falls out.

Winchester 1902 .22LR Bolt Falls out.

As the title says... When I jerk the bolt back to make a case eject, it sometimes falls out. Any fixes? I tried adding more tension on the leaf spring but that just makes it harder to eject.

This gun probably isn't worth much, but it was my grandfather's trapping gun. As you can see he added fishing line to hold the bolt in probably 50+ years ago. He passed when I was around 10 , so im trying to keep the gun intact.

You might have noticed that there is tape around the barrel. Well legend says that he owned a .22 with a hole in the barrel. None of my uncles (dad's brothers) know if it's this one. My grandpa put the tape there for some reason and im reluctant to take it off.I HAVE SHOT IT AND IT SHOOTS FINE.

Also my uncle carved the bird looking thing in the stock when he was young... He's almost 70 now.

IIRC, the extractor doubles as a bolt stop when the bolt removal process isn't done, and so you may have a worn extractor/sear assembly, or something inhibiting it's full travel.

If you watch the extractor as you pull the bolt back, you'll see just at the end of the rearward bolt travel, the triangular extractor will come out of the notch in the breech face.

Bolt removal normally involves push the back end slightly forward, and gently pull the bolt back, stopping just before the extractor comes out of the notch in the breech face, then pulling the trigger to remove the bolt to the rear.

Here's a sear/extractor assembly F/S: http://cfnparts.com/Winchester%20Mod...roduct_id=5068

Last edited by pietro; 07-12-2019 at 11:41 AM.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Il see what I could do.

Boolit Grand Master

Check the engagement surfaces and see if they are rounded or worn. The bolt stop and the bolt notch both have to be clean and sharp. Commonly one or the other is worn rounded and working the bolt hard will cause them to ride over.

The bolt stop, if I can call it that was warn out. So much so that it was concaved in.So I took my MIG welder, put it on the lowest setting and filled it the missing part. And filed it back into place.

Boolit Master
    I have one in my safe that looks just like your rifle except mine is chambered in 9mm rim fire.It is the only firearm I own that I have never fired.

Quote Originally Posted by TCFAN View Post
    I have one in my safe that looks just like your rifle except mine is chambered in 9mm rim fire.It is the only firearm I own that I have never fired.
    You could probably make brass for it.

Boolit Grand Master

If it is smooth bore it could be a garden gun and they still make ammo for it, I just had a box pass through the shop last week.

On an island in a lake in a rainforest of liberals
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Winchester 1902 bolt stop 20190713_090147.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	42.5 KB 
ID:	245192

I made a picture of the Win 1902 bolt stop system

Boolit Master
    I have an identical rifle, except mine is labeled a 1904. There must have been a series of identical models offered in that era. Brings back old memories for me, as it was gifted to me by my grandfather in the 1960's. Shot mostly with birdshot and CB caps. It patterned pretty good with birdshot. Not much rifling left. You have a classic rifle there, that is worth repairing and hanging on to.

Quote Originally Posted by Clark View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Winchester 1902 bolt stop 20190713_090147.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	42.5 KB 
ID:	245192

I made a picture of the Win 1902 bolt stop system
    Thanks! thats really helpful

Quote Originally Posted by GBertolet View Post
    I have an identical rifle, except mine is labeled a 1904. There must have been a series of identical models offered in that era. Brings back old memories for me, as it was gifted to me by my grandfather in the 1960's. Shot mostly with birdshot and CB caps. It patterned pretty good with birdshot. Not much rifling left. You have a classic rifle there, that is worth repairing and hanging on to.
    Im doing as much as I can to help it out