Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
WidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best barrel length for 327?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    In my little froggie dreams I can see a re-introduced Ruger #3 in 327 Fed Mag. That, along with my 8 shot Blackhawk in the same caliber would be a great pair to use on a walkabout!

Froggie
    That no.3 would be sweet.

Update with how the barrel went over once my dad got a chance to throw some glass on it,

The 18" medium taper balances perfectly for this set up, it currently is stocked with a CHOATE survival type storage stock which was the only spare stock I had on hand, he may decide to do something a little different later but it works for now.

The groups he is getting with just the handloads he had done up for his wheel guns is very promising, the others at the range he goes to are smitten with the little set up. Its like a M1 carbine for fans of rimmed cartridges....

Now if Ruger would offer either or both a 77 and a No 1 in 327....that would be pretty awesome.
    My firearms project blog

Boolit Grand Master

Ruger sure is screwing up by putting all their faith in the single seven. The Blackhawk they had in 327 was a fine combo, just introduced too early to be popular. The best would be to offer it in the standard Blackhawk line of blued, aluminum frames, with a 4 5/8" (the best barrel length), or the 6.6"/7.5" barrel. They still offer the 30 carbine, which makes no sense. Maybe it's just my area, but I can buy Federal AE 327 ammo in a couple local stores, I don't see much for 30 carbine. 327 federal still lacks overall ammo availability, and variety, but the price has dropped dramatically. Plus it's becoming more popular, while the 30 carbine has been fading steadily for years.

That, or engineer the single seven to fit more than just the razor hair bare minimum for OAL.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    Ruger sure is screwing up by putting all their faith in the single seven. The Blackhawk they had in 327 was a fine combo, just introduced too early to be popular. The best would be to offer it in the standard Blackhawk line of blued, aluminum frames, with a 4 5/8" (the best barrel length), or the 6.6"/7.5" barrel. They still offer the 30 carbine, which makes no sense. Maybe it's just my area, but I can buy Federal AE 327 ammo in a couple local stores, I don't see much for 30 carbine. 327 federal still lacks overall ammo availability, and variety, but the price has dropped dramatically. Plus it's becoming more popular, while the 30 carbine has been fading steadily for years.

That, or engineer the single seven to fit more than just the razor hair bare minimum for OAL.
    I keep singing this same song... a 327 Blackhawk is the best of the best. I made a serious error when I sold my old Buckeye Special 32 Combo gun, which I could easily have reamed out to 327 FM, so don't even think about asking me to give up my current 8-shooter. It ain't going nowhere no time! As I said above, Ruger also is missing a great opportunity not making the #3 Single Shot, and if they would add 327 FM chambering in that carbine, it would be just about perfect! But then again, what do I know?

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Bub
    wonderwolf what barrel bore did you go with 30 cal. or the .311 and what twist. i think you said mgm did the barrel. and what bullet is he liking the best. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    I keep singing this same song... a 327 Blackhawk is the best of the best. I made a serious error when I sold my old Buckeye Special 32 Combo gun, which I could easily have reamed out to 327 FM, so don't even think about asking me to give up my current 8-shooter. It ain't going nowhere no time! As I said above, Ruger also is missing a great opportunity not making the #3 Single Shot, and if they would add 327 FM chambering in that carbine, it would be just about perfect! But then again, what do I know?

Froggie
    I had got the BH when they first came out with them and love it and not long ago I got a SP101 in the 327 now .Beside the single shot rifle my gun smith made for me out of the H&R that I posted before about .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hickory View Post
    I would go with a 21-24" tapered barrel.
    For no other reason than to get the muzzle blast further from my ears.
    But, that's just me.
    I agree the frames are very short so longer barrel dosent seem as long.

But thats if you want a rifle configuration. If pistol Id suggest a 12-14” tapered.

I love a accurate bull but they get HEAVY!! And in a caliber like the 327. Not needed.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

.311 bore, sorry for the very tardy reply. I forget all the reasons I went with that but he shoots jacketed and cast
    My firearms project blog

Boolit Master
    And what about the good ol' 32-20?
    A revolver with 32-20 and a 327 cylinder would be great

BTW, my 30 carbine Blackhawk shoots just fine/reasonable plinking accuracy with 32 long ammo I have been using up in it.
    and the couple pieces of 327 brass I have will drop in, the rim catches just like the 32 longs
    and have plenty of room even for longish bullets
    like a 130 gr H&G I have.

beltfed/arnie

Quote Originally Posted by beltfed View Post
    And what about the good ol' 32-20?
    A revolver with 32-20 and a 327 cylinder would be great

BTW, my 30 carbine Blackhawk shoots just fine/reasonable plinking accuracy with 32 long ammo I have been using up in it.
    and the couple pieces of 327 brass I have will drop in, the rim catches just like the 32 longs
    and have plenty of room even for longish bullets
    like a 130 gr H&G I have.

beltfed/arnie

So at the time of the OP neither my dad or I owned a 32-20. All my found 32-20 brass went to be modified for 7.62x38r. About 2 years ago I found a Smith & Wesson 32-20 for cheap and got it. Jury is still out for me personally but I wouldn't mind getting a light carbine barrel for it for the sake of a complete combo set up. Little light for my area but still would be fun.
    My firearms project blog

Boolit Grand Master
    Wonder wolf, I’ve had a high wall Winchester with a light #1 octagon barrel in 32-20. At the time I didn’t appreciate its full potential and sold it. It’s one of the few guns I regret selling. If I could put together a similar rifle in 327 Fed Mag though, it would certainly not be subject to sale! In fact, it would probably be even more of a favorite than my other dream rifle, a Ruger #3 in 327 Fed Mag.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

That would be neat, I hope someday to come across some si gle shot actions that need built. That will be one that gets done.
    My firearms project blog

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12