Titan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingWideners
RotoMetals2 Repackbox

Thread: Enlarged Bore Rider Nose After PC

Boolit Master

Enlarged Bore Rider Nose After PC

I have been loading PC bullets for handguns, with good results. Now I have been experimenting with PC rifle bullets, the 311291 in particular. The bore riding nose before PC ing is .302, after it is .305, making it a little sticky, closing the bolt of my .308 rifle. I can force the bolt closed with considerable effort, and the bullets shoot great, 5 shots 5/8" at 100 yards with 18 gr 4759. Smoke's traffic purple is my color of choice. Ironically seating the gas checks are easy. Apparently the diameter of the bullet shank is not enlarged any significant amount.

What do your experienced PC ers do to alleviate this condition of increased bore rider diameter? Is there a special sizer, for just the bullet nose?

Boolit Master

Blow off excess powder after standing them up. I set up a batch then just gently blow off excess, harder you blow, the more powder comes off, but you wont blow it all off. Also, might try smokes clear, on average it goes on a bit thinner. I assume due to no pigment bulk.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Boolit Master
    how does one blow with such precision

Banned

Get a nose sizing die. NOE makes them if I remember right. Size it to what you need.

I use the Noe nose sizing bushings to good effect. I use copper tubing to build in a positive stop buy placing it around the press ram. Gp

Boolit Master
    Can anyone explain how the nose sizer die works, what kind of press do I need, and what supplementary parts do I need to make something like this work? The info on the NOE website is kind of sparse.

Boolit Bub
    Try Smoke"s Clear. I seems to flow better with a thinner coat. Works well in two of my AR builds in 300 AAC with the Lee six cavity 312-155-2R and my old Lyman 308170 FP The ride portion just kisses the bore.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GBertolet View Post
    Can anyone explain how the nose sizer die works, what kind of press do I need, and what supplementary parts do I need to make something like this work? The info on the NOE website is kind of sparse.
    Hokay...you'll need one of NOE's push-thru sizer sets, a nose punch to fit your boolit, and the correct push-thru sizer bushing. Illustrated instructions included with the sizer set cover both regular sizing and nose sizing for bore-riders. So far as a press, any single-stage will get the job done...I use the same old Lyman 'Spartan' I use for seating and crimping.

If you're only seeing a .003 increase on the nose dia. of the 311291 with your current PC, that's about as good as you'll get. I use Smoke's clear on an Arsenal bore-rider (309-188GC-PC) specifically designed for PC and still have to size the nose down from .303 to .301 to obtain an unforced fit in my Savage M10. Btw...at 200 yds, that boolit prints right at MOA (2"-2 1/2" 10-shot groups) from the Savage.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master
    For adjustable nose sizing use a Lyman luber and a flat punch and size nose first, adjust depth like you would if sizing base first.

Vendor Sponsor

Try clear or Translucent copper. Those are the thinnest coating i have
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

I assume you are shaking to coat if your spray method I have seen post where members are placing the bullets nose down in a casing and just spray the bottoms.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Boolit Master
    Seat the boolit a bit deeper. That was my solution in 45 acp that was tight after pcing.
    Evangelical, deplorable redneck and proud of it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by rosewood View Post
    Seat the boolit a bit deeper. That was my solution in 45 acp that was tight after pcing.
    That is not how a bore rider works.