WidenersRotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got a new 32 what should I do?

Boolit Master

Got a new 32 what should I do?

I just bought a new to me 32 H&R Mag. The barrel slugs out to .310 and the throats to .312.

I'm using Lee sizing dies so there's a gap in choices. I could do .311 or .314 those are my only two choices right now. Which one should I pick?

Thanks
    Last edited by Super Sneaky Steve; 07-11-2019 at 07:41 PM. Reason: spelling

Get the .311 and open it up to .312
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Master
    I don't have access to a fancy reamer. Would you do that with dremel? With the 311 bullets being larger than the barrel would it make much of a difference?

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    I shoot 32 in Colt, S&W, Ruger, Taurus; the bores and throats vary a little but I found that sizing my castings to .313 took care of all of them. I cast soft, not much more than 6-7 BHN (I have the capability to test accurately, the hardness) and they work at the low pressures that the 32 H&R Magnum and it's smaller brethren operate at. Try it before changing anything or investing in time or tooling.

Boolit Grand Master
    For many years I left a 311 sizing die in my Lyman 450 for all of my 32 revolver rounds. Then I got interested in getting max performance out of my custom NOE mould, so I added a 314 die to fill the lands and grooves well. Lately I've had a K-32 built with .313 throats, so now that die seems to be more or less my default die for the 450. I don't think with my shooting I'll be able to see any difference.

As for modifying an existing sizing die, I would think you could gain a thousandth or even two by taking your hand drill and a slightly undersized rod, split to hold some fine grit paper (I'd go with #360 or 400 grit) and polishing it out a little at a time. I personally wouldn't bother trying to go much over a thousandth larger, as it will take too long and you'll probably not get even results with this method if you try to change too much.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

I do the same as green frog, except I use 600gr. Did you measure your throats with pin gauges? Did you measure your slug with a micrometer? Reason I ask is because calipers are not precise enough. However, if you do not have access to these tools, you can see if your bullet will slide through the throats. Your bullet should be able to be pushed through your throats with only finger pressure. I size my bullets to fit my throats on revolvers
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Master
    I use .314 for all. 32 mag & 32 S&W. Works well for me.
    swamp
    There is no problem so great, that it cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives.

Boolit Grand Master

By .312", do you mean a .312" pin gauge passes through, and a .313" does not? In that case I would lap the .311 sizer up to .312". It only takes a few minutes with emery cloth, 400 grit works well. If you wont do that, cast with a soft alloy, and size to .311"

The Lee TL 31490 SWC as cast worked perfectly in every Ruger SSM that I ever had.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    The .314 will work best.
    Slightly larger is better than too small. I use the .314, however, most .311” molds cast .312-.313”. So sizing is minimal if at all. Powder coating helps. Also, using fast burning powders encourages obturation improving accuracy.

Just load some and shoot-em. See what they do...

Boolit Master
    I used pure lead cast round balls and calipers. I don't have access to better tools. A hornady 312 bullet won't go in by hand.

Size with the 0.311" die and shoot, shoot, shoot.

Boolit Grand Master

In that case, size to .311" for sure. You should be able to push a sized bullet through with light thumb pressure. If accuracy or other problems occur your will need to have the throats opened up.

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    In that case, size to .311" for sure. You should be able to push a sized bullet through with light thumb pressure. If accuracy or other problems occur your will need to have the throats opened up.
    What msm says I believe .311 will work well in the firearm you describe. Gp

I shoot my Lee .314 90 gr truncated cone tumble lubed as cast, no sizing. 2 or 3 light coats of BLL.

Although I have a Ruger NMSS in .32H&R mag thus far I have only shot .32sw longs through it. It works, why change anything?

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    For many years I left a 311 sizing die in my Lyman 450 for all of my 32 revolver rounds. Then I got interested in getting max performance out of my custom NOE mould, so I added a 314 die to fill the lands and grooves well. Lately I've had a K-32 built with .313 throats, so now that die seems to be more or less my default die for the 450. I don't think with my shooting I'll be able to see any difference.

As for modifying an existing sizing die, I would think you could gain a thousandth or even two by taking your hand drill and a slightly undersized rod, split to hold some fine grit paper (I'd go with #360 or 400 grit) and polishing it out a little at a time. I personally wouldn't bother trying to go much over a thousandth larger, as it will take too long and you'll probably not get even results with this method if you try to change too much.

Froggie
    This works very well with lee sizer . Just be careful the size will change quickly. And it's not hard to get it to big. If changing size i would shoot for . 312 to start you can always go bigger. I will caution you again material came out of these a lot faster than i thought it would.

Boolit Master
    I would get the .314". I do pretty much the same thing as GhostHawk, and it works in all my .32s.

Go fat, go soft, lube with SPG and keep speed reasonable... .314, BHN 6-8, 600-800 fps...

Boolit Master

I would say .314 with Bullseye.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Grand Master
    To add to my previous post... I wouldn’t have bothered to drop down from .314 to .313 if the larger bullets would have seated in my custom, tight chambers in the K-32. As I said, I’d like to use one size bullets for all my 32s, so if I don’t see accuracy degrade in my other guns, the .313 becomes the default sizer die. YMMV, depending on what your 32s require.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast