Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyWidenersLoad Data
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Lee Precision Reloading Everything

Thread: Ran outta static yesterday

Boolit Master

Ran outta static yesterday

Yesterday I wanted to coat some boolits and no static in air nor in mixing bowl. So I decided to cast this morn and after boolits are dropped from mold pick them up with tweezer and dip em into the powder and put them in a block of wood nose first and put em all in oven. Works but I prefer less humid weather.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Vendor Sponsor

During our summer months (today its 70% humidity) when hi humidity not uncommon for me to put bullets in the oven at 140 degrees for 10 minutes and let them cool for about 5 minutes and drop on powder/bbs and shake.. It never fails me to get complete coverage..
    This was you are driving away any surface moisture from the bullets first. Hard to believe its there but it can be
    obviously straight from the mold to powder you don't have that issue .. But if they are too hot you will get a much thicker coat or a mass of stuck together bullets .. not a good day
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Bub
    Recently, I've been having a hard time with humidity causing a rough grainy surface especially with my favorite, Smoke's Bacon Grease and I noticed my Signal Blue was getting clumpy do to moisture. I tried Smoke's suggestion on the preheating and it made a world of difference with the Bacon Grease coverage. Thank you for the good advice.
    I asked my son if he knew where I could get some cheap Desiccant to absorb the excess moisture in my storage jars. He commented we had a 25 pound bag of Zeolite next to my bench we use to absorb moisture in the chicken coop.I had forgotten all about it. Zeolite is an excellent Desiccant used in horse stalls, chicken coops and pet bedding and is available at most feed stores under several brand names. I ended up putting a tablespoon in the bottom of all the mason jars I store Smoke's powder in.

Boolit Master
    As Smoke suggested, just pre-heat. Not only does the air contain moisture so does the bullets.

I personally use a tumbler designed just for PC as I can adjust the level of vibration. I preheat a pan of 6 pounds bullets for approximately 10 minutes after my Taylor Oven Guide Thermometer stabilizes between 140-150 degrees. Once up to temp, I slowly drop the bullets into my running tumble with powder & BB's and the bullets coat beautifully almost immediately. Too high of a temp and the bullets will stick together, definitely not what you want, so you must accurately monitor the temp. If you have any reservations pre-heat at a lower temp as even that should drive out the excess moisture. I also store my powder in air tight jars in the freezer; freezing air does not contain much moisture.

Boolit Buddy
    Another good place for desiccant is a crafts store like "Michael's", go to the flower arraignment area and get some Silica Gel they use for flower drying, big box + the coupon they always have I believe I ended up paying $8 (something like 4lbs), I used mine in a sock in the safe.
    "People in Arizona carry guns," said Detective David Ramer, a Chandler police spokesman. You better be careful about who you are picking on...