Inline FabricationRepackboxLoad DataReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyWidenersTitan ReloadingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2

Thread: Hello, new guy!!

Boolit Mold

Hello, new guy!!

Hello, I did not see an introduction page.

I am interested primarily in learning to swage "boolits".

Interested in a few various calibers. Still making decisions. A lot of options in life.

Looking to get rid of my modern gasgun rifles and autoloader pistols in exchange for manual bolt actions and revolvers. The realistic means of reloading and consistant application are outweighing the fast firing, streaming brass ribbons out of ejection port and otherwise that 'tacticool' image.

As I have gotten older and spending time active duty, the 'fun' is going away with those weapons. I am focusing on well placed shots and lowering my overall costs.

Ok - so..

I will be reading the stickies. I just registered. That said - with a few community college classes in tool and die making.. is it difficult to produce swaging dies for use with a large redding single stage press? My desire is the most well made projectile. For precision rifle shooting. There are 24, 26, 27, 28 and 30cal rifles in my inventory. Looking for some hunting application at 100-300 for a few calibers, 300-1000 and maybe farther for others. Those mid to long range shots will be for practice and skill developement.

This is a personal goal, side interest and is not a 'rock bottom' pennies gig. Maybe if I opt to keep an ar15 and ar308.. I would be interested in cheap and low quality projectiles. The 50-300yard it hits a uspsa manshaped paper type of quality. Milsurp accuracy.

If I can at a later date move a few thousand BR projectiles every year, great. The equipment is recouping it's investment at a faster rate.

Please, help me.. guide me. I have a thick hide and even more dense skull. Plenty of stupid questions will be asked.

Recommend me books or other threads, send me emails, provide pictures. I want to be the best I can be at this. I would rather 100 'perfect' bullets over 100,000 soso.

Thank you all in advance. This is a slow start and will develope over years. So I may have a fully running business for when I retire out of military. I will be reading the pinned things as time allows.

Appreciated,
    SlowGuyJames

Boolit Master

Welcome James.
    If your time is worth much, home swaged bullets will not be cheap.
    Use any justification that works, for me bullet swaging is a heck of a lot cheaper than going to the bar and drinking tequila.
    I have been dabbling in die making, and recommend focusing on one caliber to start.
    Maybe your best barrel? most rifles in that caliber so you have more testing platforms. Or the decision could be based on cutting tools you have.
    Mark
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Boolit Buddy

Welcome aboard Slowguyjames. I'm sure others will be along with a lot more info then I have (I have had swaging equipment for a couple years but my bullet count is pretty low at this time do to a couple of young kids running around my house). I would recommend tracking down Corbin's book "Rediscover Swaging" I found a lot of good info in there. Richard and Dave Corbin also have articles on their websites that have nuggets of good info.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    Welcome aboard glad to have you. Sorry i can't help on swageing bullets i know less than nothing about it but the members here are more than willing to help. Stickies are s great place to start. And please don't be afraid to ask anything if you don't know you don't know. The only dumb question is the one not asked. Glad to have you and good luck in your endeavor.

SlowGuyJames quote:
    Looking to get rid of my modern gasgun rifles and autoloader pistols in exchange for manual bolt actions and revolvers. The realistic means of reloading and consistent application are outweighing the fast firing, streaming brass ribbons out of ejection port and otherwise that 'tacticool' image.

As I have gotten older and spending time active duty, the 'fun' is going away with those weapons. I am focusing on well placed shots and lowering my overall costs.

Quality, not quantity.

This gives me hope. My hope is more younger folks will rediscover Blue Steel, Lumber and sixguns, which is what it should be. Just one old farts opinion. Oh yeah, and I'm sticking to that opinion..

This is a great forum, you will like the folks here, very helpful bunch of people. Even if some are misguided and cling to "tacticool" stuff.

Moderator Emeritus

SlowGuyJames,
    Welcome to the forum.

If you choose to order some custom made swaging equipment, be sure to research the seller/maker before sending any money. Making Dies and such can take a long time, expect months or years of wait time...that's why they are so expensive.
    Here is one example of my cautionary statement.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Raging-Swaging

you ask, "is it difficult to produce swaging dies for use with a large redding single stage press?"
    this is an interesting thread, be sure to read Duke's post #35 and read it twice.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...+your+own+dies

You hint at a business of selling jacketed projectiles, that is a whole nuther thang, that in these modern times is not likely profitable by a one horse operation...not saying that it is impossible, but I don't know of any in operation right now?
    I wish you the best luck.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

Welcome James, Pull up a stump and stay awhile I can't help with the swageing side, but if you hang around here you'll start casting before long. It's a bug that can't be stopped once you get it.goog luck and" thanks for your Service "
    Last edited by SSGOldfart; 07-11-2019 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Window's spell check thingy messed up the post
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Another "Welcome!" for you. Lots of knowledgeable, friendly folks here.

Boolit Master

Glad to have you aboard. Be aware that there are FFL and State Department/Commerce Department regulations on making and selling ammunition components. The Federal Firearms License isn't expensive but the export license/tax, required even if you aren't exporting, is $2500.00/year. It's ridiculous but put in place by Hillary/Kerry.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Mold
    So.. the duke guy post.. I am taking as, "you will not find out anything"..

Coupled with, it is expensive to be a vendor due to regulating projectiles like firearms..

Is there anything else to be said?

Boolit Master
    Welcome to the forum! You came to the right place.
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Quote Originally Posted by Slowguyjames View Post

Coupled with, it is expensive to be a vendor due to regulating projectiles like firearms..

Don’t be disheartened there are three ways to learn things

“don’t stick your fork in that wall socket”

“When I stuck my fork in the wall it hurt like hell”

Or my least favorite “I forgot what happened when I stuck my fork in the wall socket, why don’t you do it and tell me about how it went”

I takes a little time to learn there is a lot of knowledge here, none from me on swaging but you posted in the general area.

Head on over to swaging under forum headings and you will get more refined answers to your questions.

Gsdelong

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Slowguyjames View Post

There are hundreds more things to be said.

But, as to cutting dies, I thought Duke put it well and I wouldn't simplify his words as much as you have...without adding that you will likely need to discover your own secrets. If you have a talent for trouble shooting, you will likely succeed.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Quote Originally Posted by gsdelong View Post
    ......a lot of knowledge here, none from me on swaging but you posted in the general area.

Head on over to swaging under forum headings and you will get more refined answers to your questions.

Gsdelong
    No, he posted originally in the swaging area but I felt his "Hello, new guy" post was better served in Our Town so he would get more attention on his first post. So I moved it.

You are correct that if he uses the Swaging forum in the future he will get more detailed help on the subject
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Welcome to the forum! Good folks here - you'll enjoy it!

Boolit Grand Master

Welcome aboard! And Thank You for your service.

There are no dumb questions. Please feel free to ask. A lot of info is available in the stickies and sometimes a member will post a useful link as a response.